2017 Ford Transit Rear Differential Problems

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello folks, long time no see. Just thought I would drop by and share my not so pleasant experience with my NEW FORD and Ford Dealership. Since owning my new 2017 Ford Transit, since about week one or two of pulling off the lot I have heard this odd howling, growling noise coming from the rear diff. possibly axle area? I have taken it locally to my Ford dealer here in Ohio about 4 or 5 times (all on paper,computer) stating and complaining the EXACT SAME TERM every time I visit,

“the van is making a howling,growling noise from the rear of the van at very low rates of speed, maybe 2-5mph hard turning in a parking lot, left or right”

Once they have it a day or two, they pull the diff. cover, empty the fluid, replace the fluid, add friction modifier button it up and tell me they heard no noises, couldn’t verify any concerns and that I’m good to go. Multiply that by 4 or 5 Trips to the same dealer with the exact same complaint or concern from me every time. With the exact result every time, finding nothing, hearing no noises.

Fast forward a month later, my van is now maybe 5,000 Miles out of warranty. Take it to my local dealer a final time, this past Thursday 9/28. No calls, no nothing until I call them late morning Monday 10/2 asking for an update, they tell me ok I’ll go find out and call you rite back, (6hrs later) no call back. I call them and this lady tries telling me what the first person said 6hrs ago, I refused, stated I needed an answer NOW. They call me back within 3 minutes, tells me the clutch assembly is shot in the diff. it’s gonna cost (ME) $800.00+ I was in shock to say the least that they were trying to force me to pay considering I have had this issue the entire time of owning this van trying to get them to take responsibility and fix their garbage vehicle. I hung up told him to do what he needed to do with Ford corporate to make this rite.

2017 Ford Transit UPDATE.

I called to make my original CLAIM Monday Am to Ford Corporate, was told the regional manager would contact me by end of business Tuesday. No call came in to me. I call this Am (Wednesday 10/4/17) to ask why a call wasn’t returned to me by said manager, she tells me I’m now being put on an escalated service level and he will be with me by end of business tomorrow (10/5/17)......

In the mean while I guess money is to fall from the skies while I sit here waiting to pay my bills.

Much #appreciated #ford thx for this #great #customer #service #mucho #aggravated

UPDATE #2

Ford called me and offered me a “good-wil” gesture as she put it, the repair that’s needed to your 2017 Ford Transit is in total of $765.00 We here at Ford will pay $500.00 leaving you to pay $265.00

So first things first, my original call from the dealership told me in excess of $800.00 now this Ford rep. Tells me it’s $765......

So after I gave her an ear full on the phone, I hung up, collected my emotions, got myself in check, called the wife for a calming adjustment, called the lady back, told her to proceed with said gesture but I would in fact be contacting an attorney.

I can’t force money to grow on trees while fighting a court battle. I need my van to work and make money in the mean time. Will keep y’all updated on any and all progress.

FYI - I have a video of said noise and multiple repair orders stating my concerns from months ago.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have the same rear end "groan" also. It started right after I had the fluid change. Was told that it needed friction modifier. It helped, but I still have it

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the same rear end "groan" also. It started right after I had the fluid change. Was told that it needed friction modifier. It helped, but I still have it

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
If I were you I would take it in and tell them to have the clutch assembly replaced immediately B4 putting yourself through the same hassle that I’m going through....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Totally

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine does the same noise. Ford completely rebuilt it at about 125K. Now at 225K it's slowly starting to get noisy again. The good news is I was told that it's not something that will ever fail and leave you broken down and stuck. And yes mine is the limited slip unit.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, sorry for the delay. Bill g, did they give you a warranty on the rebuild, if so how long?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, sorry for the delay. Bill g, did they give you a warranty on the rebuild, if so how long?

When I was at the dealer I asked about the 2 or 3 year parts and labor warranty that Ford provides. Was told that warranty work doesn't qualify for their Ford parts and service warranty. Only if it's a customer pay repair.

Being that the noise is the clutch packs in the limited slip unit, if I ever paid to get them replaced, you can bet that I wouldn't use the Ford parts/discs in my rebuild. I'm betting there is a better replacement aftermarket clutch pack available that would fit right in.

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Next thing that I'm going to try at my next axle fluid change is an aftermarket full synthetic diff lube. Like possibly Amsoil or Mobil 1. The discs/plates aren't actually bad. Their working but just making annoying scrapping noises when doing tight turn around.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

When I was at the dealer I asked about the 2 or 3 year parts and labor warranty that Ford provides. Was told that warranty work doesn't qualify for their Ford parts and service warranty. Only if it's a customer pay repair.

Being that the noise is the clutch packs in the limited slip unit, if I ever paid to get them replaced, you can bet that I wouldn't use the Ford parts/discs in my rebuild. I'm betting there is a better replacement aftermarket clutch pack available that would fit right in.

That is such bull . I will find that out once i get my van back I’m sure.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Next thing that I'm going to try at my next axle fluid change is an aftermarket full synthetic diff lube. Like possibly Amsoil or Mobil 1. The discs/plates aren't actually bad. Their working but just making annoying scrapping noises when doing tight turn around.

I am thinking maybe Lucas oil treatment, I wouldn’t see the harm in it, I use it on all my vehicles “not yet in the diff.” But maybe now I will start. Could use the old school trick the older generation used to do “saw dust” in the rear diff. To sum it’s crazy but apparently the ole timers used to do that stuff all the time and lasted for years. Understanding the modernized vehicles are produced differently now but it’s basically the same concept and design through the years so far as the rear diff. Is concerned.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am thinking maybe Lucas oil treatment, I wouldn’t see the harm in it, I use it on all my vehicles “not yet in the diff.” But maybe now I will start. Could use the old school trick the older generation used to do “saw dust” in the rear diff. To sum it’s crazy but apparently the ole timers used to do that stuff all the time and lasted for years. Understanding the modernized vehicles are produced differently now but it’s basically the same concept and design through the years so far as the rear diff. Is concerned.

An additive or different fluid certainly wouldn't hurt. It's those clutches in the limited slip making the noise. If you find a fluid that quiets the noise, please share what you've found. And I hope your joking about the sawdust!

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

An additive or different fluid certainly wouldn't hurt. It's those clutches in the limited slip making the noise. If you find a fluid that quiets the noise, please share what you've found. And I hope your joking about the sawdust!

Of course I’m joking! But seriously, the ole timers did do that, lol. I even know a guy as early as 4-5yrs ago that raced cars and still did it and saved the rear ends from burning up for many months after.

Reactions: billg27