Thank You, Drivers!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I are former expediters now living in Florida. As Hurricane Irma approaches, we're seeing store shelves picked clean of water, batteries and other storm prep supplies. The general public does not see this but we do; truckers on the job bringing new supplies. Thank you, drivers, for keeping our store shelves full. And thank you in advance for the disaster relief work you will do.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My stepdad lives in The Villages, and wasn't taking any chances. He left yesterday, when gas stations still had fuel, and came back up to Murray. :D

Reactions: davekc

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have relatives on Kiawah Island, SC and they are not taking any chances either. They left today headed to NC.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

ATeam

Retired Expediter
House is mostly secure. We're closing the gym at 6:00 pm Fri. Planned to ride out the storm 80 miles inland and north of us in a relative's concrete home but forecast is changing there (Ocala) and we may simply drive further and stay in the van for a night or two before heading back. Dave is right. This is a storm to avoid.

We have plenty of fuel and supplies. Stocked up on those days ago.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
About 20 millions people lived in Florida. About 500K evacuating.

Florida interstates, roadways, manpower and resources won't be able to handle evacuating of 20 millions in one week period.

Mom and dad are staying. Being very old age with health conditions, evacuating out of Florida could be as detrimental.

By the time the storm reaches their area, hopefully it will turn into tropical or light snow.

I'm monitoring the updates and in constant contact with them.

Reactions: Turtle

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Florida interstates, roadways, manpower and resources won't be able to handle evacuating of 20 millions in one week period.

Mom and dad are staying. Being very old age with health conditions, evacuating out of Florida could be as detrimental.

By the time the storm reaches their area, hopefully it will turn into tropical or light snow.

They, along with everybody else in Florida, are in our prayers.

Reactions: Turtle and Mailer

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
We and our family and friends in Orlando area are staying. Four families covering three generations. All are well stocked with food and supplies, homes and yards as prepared as possible, gas tanks and cash topped off. We have experience with many hurricanes, but are not so smug as to think we are bulletproof. We have had offers of bedrooms from friends and families as far away as Montana and Arizona and appreciate their concern. But all things considered, (ages, medical needs, pets, others who might need help, etc) hunkering down is our choice. We'll keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully a good report will follow after Irma departs.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy

Mailer, you are right about bad conditions for getting out of Florida. I drove down from North Carolina and northbound highways were so overcrowded. Rest areas on north side were overwhelmed, can't imagine there was any toilet paper or paper towels available, parking was overloaded with vehicles on the lawns and shoulders of all paved areas. Pilot/Flying J's were likewise crammed with cars, campers, no supplies, staff overwhelmed, trash cans overflowing, no receipts at gas pumps, people sleeping in cars on any available space, tempers flaring, etc. Motels were all "No Vacancy", fast food restaurants and others had long lines........ Best wishes to your parents and you.

Reactions: Mailer

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Mailer, you are right about bad conditions for getting out of Florida. I drove down from North Carolina and northbound highways were so overcrowded. Rest areas on north side were overwhelmed, can't imagine there was any toilet paper or paper towels available, parking was overloaded with vehicles on the lawns and shoulders of all paved areas. Pilot/Flying J's were likewise crammed with cars, campers, no supplies, staff overwhelmed, trash cans overflowing, no receipts at gas pumps, people sleeping in cars on any available space, tempers flaring, etc. Motels were all "No Vacancy", fast food restaurants and others had long lines........ Best wishes to your parents and you.

Thank you.

Looks like you are prep and ready. Hang in there. My younger brother is with my parents, they are all prepped. Hopefully it just going to turn into the light tropical storm. They are inland west of Satellite Beach.