Retired Expediter
Jack_Nicholson__TH_2662450k.jpg

Is it October yet?

artie

Seasoned Expediter

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I retired a year ago. Be careful what you wish for it's not all that great.
OH.. i won't be Officially Retired ... just from Driving ..will be 61 then .. with both parents in nursing home and me handling their farm & bills and my 21 month old Grandson , there is no need for me to be staring down the highway ... and i still will have a good income coming in from expediting and without almost no personal bills ...

hauling freight from a Pond near you

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I hear ya ... but first i need to save some more ... so i can pay Cash for a similiar lake property ..(15 to 18 months) from now ...is the time table ... 3006 E Lakeshore Dr, Brooklyn, IA 52211

$239,000 | 2 Bed • 2 Bath
3006 E Lakeshore Dr, Brooklyn, IA 52211 - realtor.com®

Nice

I hear ya ... but first i need to save some more ... so i can pay Cash for a similiar lake property ..(15 to 18 months) from now ...is the time table ... 3006 E Lakeshore Dr, Brooklyn, IA 52211

$239,000 | 2 Bed • 2 Bath
3006 E Lakeshore Dr, Brooklyn, IA 52211 - realtor.com®

I retired a year ago. Be careful what you wish for it's not all that great.
Same here, I plan on doing what I want to do, not what I have to do.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if after you retire and some one ask you to come back say, to much work

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You need to buy a van and do some semi-serious expediting. I've been semi retired for 20 years, well retired from semis, and this is the best job I've ever had. Pay isn't what it used to be, but the freedom is priceless!
That's exactly what I say about getting into semis. Freedom is a relative term. The open road is liberty personified; and steering a rig, to me, is tantamount to captaining the Millennium Falcon.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Semi-Retirement is what you want it to be.

Get the itch to run down the road for a week or so? Than do it. Or not.

I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles through the snow of winter and the tiresome runs in the middle of the night since 1997.

All the kids graduated from college, the wife ran off with a vice-president of the local bank here in Ohio and I invested my earnings into Vanguard's Health Fund and lots into Apple before it got too expensive.

That was when expediting was easy money and lots of country to explore.

Now the supply of drivers has changed those rates and not for the better.

I'll still do a drive here or there. But nothing over 300 miles.

And nothing cheap. It is what you make it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You need to buy a van and do some semi-serious expediting. I've been semi retired for 20 years, well retired from semis, and this is the best job I've ever had. Pay isn't what it used to be, but the freedom is priceless!
That's exactly what I say about getting into semis. Freedom is a relative term. The open road is liberty personified; and steering a rig, to me, is tantamount to captaining the Millennium Falcon.
Agreed....Freedom is fleeting......
one still has a bank or loan to attend to...your finaces are telling what to do
one still has a shipper telling you what to do
one has a receiver telling you what to do
under load you are constantly under surveilance and a dispatcher will ask" why you are not moving?"
on the road the DOT is telling you what to do...
The only freedom you have is when you want to work and where you want to go, but this is directly connected to first item....
Freedom of the road is an illusion....

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about captaining a 63' Falcon?
falcon 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ucfd608

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Agreed....Freedom is fleeting......
one still has a bank or loan to attend to...your finaces are telling what to do
one still has a shipper telling you what to do
one has a receiver telling you what to do
under load you are constantly under surveilance and a dispatcher will ask" why you are not moving?"
on the road the DOT is telling you what to do...
The only freedom you have is when you want to work and where you want to go, but this is directly connected to first item....
Freedom of the road is an illusion....
But it's MY illusion.