The latest new Load One custom

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
West, I am curious what kind of fuel mileage this van gets. Could you report actual mileage after a few weeks?

Good choice of engine in my opinion. Less chance of the driver racing it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: westmicher

Kip life

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I feel sorry for whoever will end up buying this VAN. .irregardless of how good it looks ,and the promises, van pays $1 that's not gonna change but the owner of the van will probably be in debt of 50,000 for this VAN

Sent from my SM-N910T using EO Forums mobile app

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Actually, we are very business-minded fleet owners that carefully weigh cost versus benefit on every van we build and operate... we've been doing this a while...

The Cutaway chassis costs us much less than you might imagine because of our fleet negotiations with Ford... and the materials, although premium, are purchased right. Our cost for the van and materials are less than we could spend on a $printer or other large van.

Our labor is provided by our family... so it does not matter to us what we value that at.

Finally, we pay cash for our materials... debt?

We are keeping all these in our own fleet, leased to load-1. They will be VERY profitable. Don't feel sorry for us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is all my opinion based on almost a decade in the business. I've been retired for 5 years so I'm sure some things have changed. I believe this van could be a money maker for the right operator. John is as stand up as a guy gets and so is Load One from my experience. Yeah, for 1-3 skids it's a van, fancy, but just a van. For 4-6 skids I can't imagine L1 not paying a good bump in rate, fair to both sides. And I can't imagine them not utilizing that option every possible chance because it benefits both the customer and L1 and therefore the operator. I'm curious what mpg it will achieve, especially at 62-63mph which is ideal for expediting work. I'm looking forward to hearing just how much added revenue it produces.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't get me wrong, this truck really is wicked pissah. For me, tho, it would be better as a four skid unit with a team-sized sleeper. I am looking forward to seeing how it does, like all of us

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We achieved 17.5 MPG going to the Expo but only 15.7 MPG going home. Wind, cruise, crossword are making the difference. It should be above 15 MPG average in service.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The gain in a team operated truck such as this is much less than a team in a straight truck because we can-do up to maybe a 1000 miles in a solo truck like this versus maybe 600 in a straight truck...

The Ford outfitters guidelines will allow us to add up to another foot to this truck but that will add another couple of hundred pounds that I'm not sure that we will see the payback from. I do not see the value in cutting two skids off the capacity just to fit a team in.

Last edited:

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Best spec'd van in the industry. Seeing it, I was amazed with all the thought and technology put into it. Doors very thin and lightweight, yet sturdy as can be. Load carrying capacity exceeds most others in both weight and volume. Just very well designed and built. Excellent job!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We are going backwards why in the world are we going back to not being able to put your pants on standing up!
I can stand up slightly bent over. You stand up maybe 2% of the time in a truck? As an owner, I'm not going to make the whole truck 6" higher, and 200 lbs heavier, just so the driver can stand straight up a few minutes a day! That might cost as much as 1 MPG... it's just not that important. We looked at every aspect of design and every one must be an intelligent compromise. This is ours.

Reactions: Lawrence

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Best spec'd van in the industry. Seeing it, I was amazed with all the thought and technology put into it. Doors very thin and lightweight, yet sturdy as can be. Load carrying capacity exceeds most others in both weight and volume. Just very well designed and built. Excellent job!
Thank you very much, John!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can stand up slightly bent over. You stand up maybe 2% of the time in a truck? As an owner, I'm not going to make the whole truck 6" higher, and 200 lbs heavier, just so the driver can stand straight up a few minutes a day! That might cost as much as 1 MPG... it's just not that important. We looked at every aspect of design and every one must be an intelligent compromise. This is ours.

The front of the box where the sleeper is slants down your not gonna stand by slightly bent over. Like I stated it's going backwards but I thank you for pointing out profit is more important than the driver.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Photos of the sleeper as requested. The bed folds up quickly the make room to change clothes and such. The curtains and cab separator were custom made by a local upholstery expert that makes them for a yacht manufacturer... very nice.
75c82eccbde94b1399f560de2fcaa929.jpg
e53e0d5230b0a2f97c6ce08c9f629365.jpg
825db9580a0f1a273c3371e9a0240791.jpg
35fce112f14f5ae6c10a0cacbcc8cb48.jpg
738b8a4cc913cbcb0096d5d967fafd2f.jpg

0e579e010be2da2a0f0ea4cd6556444f.jpg

Last edited: