Time for something new

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, my Sprinter is trucking along nicely, and I still like it, but...i'm completely bored.

Nothing interesting is on the horizon for 2018 either. 2019...maybe...but details are sketchy

So I ran across something completely different...something interesting...and I decided to share it

How does 70% fuel savings sound? And the ability to run on diesel, gasoline, CNG, LNG, propane, kerosene heating oil (maybe bunker fuel or diluted old engine oil lol)

I've heard about this before, but ITS BEING DONE. RIGHT NOW. They are retrofitting existing trucks and have entered a deal with Mack. Also, they meet California emmissions with NO POLLUTION CONTROLS. And and estimated fuel savings of $500,000 per truck over its lifespan...

They are building actual vehicles for customers including FedEx and waste management, transit for NZ etc. Wonder how much a one-off 2005 Sprinter conversion would be?

http://www.wrightspeed.com/technology

Wrightspeed Unveils Improved Turbine Range Extender

http://gas2.org/tag/wrightspeed

Oh, and make it self driving too...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well how about this one. I've mentioned the Nikola Motors semi before, and it comes with one million miles of free fuel!

It is turbine driven as well for regenerating the batteries, and they are building a network of 365 hydrogen fuel stations for it.

I was skeptical too until I saw it had $2.3 BILLION in pre-orders the first month. From companies like Ryder and US Express.

Nikola Motor gets $2.3B worth of preorders for 2,000HP, electric semi-trailer truck

The unveiling video.

Apparently it was on and functional, so they chained off the driver area.

Highlights include 85% of the air braking capacity by regenerative braking alone; all independent suspension; and the ability to haul 80,000 lbs up a 7% grade at 65 mph. Not to mention, fuel and maintenance are INCLUDED with your monthly lease payment

Edit: small correction, the version sold in North America is powered by hydrogen fuel cells giving an equivalent MPG to diesel of 15.4

natural gas turbine models will still be sold in some markets

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice looking truck! One claim that confused me was: The Nikola One semi-trailer will be capable of pulling a gross weight of 80,000 pounds... I don't doubt this truck could pull 80,000 lbs. gross weight but can it do it legally? I did some quick math comparing the weight of Tesla's 10 kWh battery pack to the Nikola 320 kWh battery pack and come up with over 7000 lbs. for the Nikola. Add that weight to the other fuel, be it CNG, diesel etc and you get one heavy truck. Yet the article states a traditional tractor weighs in at 23,000 lbs. and the Nikola at 21,000 lbs.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a lot of confusion due to the old CNG design and the currently sold and showcased fuel cell version

They have been thru DOT, they forced air brakes to meet DOT regs but they are not actually necessary to stop the truck

Maybe I'll get a chance to do some more digging but it's nailed down enough for Ryder and some other big names.

Maybe I should be worried, I can ultimately thank Ryder for my paychecks more often than not...

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For those that missed the 42 min video, part and parcel of this deal is the building of 385 hydrogen fuel stations across every major freight lane in the US. Before you say "ya right" it worked nicely for Tesla.

Speaking of electric, graphene batteries are imminent from the same man that brought Fisker cars a few years back. 9 minute charge time for 3-400 mile range. Even Tesla should be worried about that one, unless he can retool that freshly opened multi billion dollar gigafactory in Nevada

Interesting times

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well how about this one. I've mentioned the Nikola Motors semi before, and it comes with one million miles of free fuel!

It is turbine driven as well for regenerating the batteries, and they are building a network of 365 hydrogen fuel stations for it.

I was skeptical too until I saw it had $2.3 BILLION in pre-orders the first month. From companies like Ryder and US Express.

Nikola Motor gets $2.3B worth of preorders for 2,000HP, electric semi-trailer truck

The unveiling video.

Apparently it was on and functional, so they chained off the driver area.

Highlights include 85% of the air braking capacity by regenerative braking alone; all independent suspension; and the ability to haul 80,000 lbs up a 7% grade at 65 mph. Not to mention, fuel and maintenance are INCLUDED with your monthly lease payment

Edit: small correction, the version sold in North America is powered by hydrogen fuel cells giving an equivalent MPG to diesel of 15.4

natural gas turbine models will still be sold in some markets
Pretty cool

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting...but you can buy the 2 I mentioned now...a free fuel and maintenance 5 ton would be hard to compete against

It will all go to the industry giants first, I won't be putting a deposit down on chassis # 10,000 and expecting it to be in my hands anytime soon, so maybe the other higher production established players like MB still have a chance

I do believe with competition from electric, operating a traditional ICE vehicle will be cheaper than any time in history

Who needs to buy gas with a Chevy Bolt or Tesla model 3? 10 bucks to fill the "tank" and hardly any maintenance

TimesAreAChanging

New Recruit
Researching
Times are a changing :) Very cool! Price? Will Someone buy them out? Does Freightliner have one in development?
Will diesel drop to $.99 a gal. I will be retired by the time I could buy one but will be nice for the next generation.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Why are they not showing it pull some weight. Let's see if it starts .
Looks cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk