My Battle of the Bulge

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
39ca0343926b55dcc70e60eda0f1ddce.png

70 pounds gone now. Definitely in uncharted territory now. Best guess is at least 15 years, maybe 20 years since I've been at this weight.

5c31030ce1028cfd1b4c45e84c38c3bc.png

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Happy Birthday to me :)

How did I celebrate? By trying two things for the 1st time.
Grass fed/finished beef and making spaghetti squash.

In case you missed the video by The CraftyTrucker here it is.

Mine was pretty simple with what I had. Cooked the meat with some olive oil, added tomato sauce, little garlic powder, oregano and mushrooms. Topped with some parmesan cheese.

OMG, was this good! Most tasty thing I've had in a long time.

Excuse the messy plate. About half way through, I managed to pull myself away to take a picture ;)

IMG_3630.JPG

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The other day when I was at a Army Depot, the lady doing my paperwork asked for my ID.
After doing a triple check between the ID and me she said.
"you look very different"
I told her I've lost 70 pounds since that picture.
"on purpose?", she asked. I got a chuckle out of that.

She went on to talk about how she needed to lose weight, but her knees hurt so much she couldn't exercise.
I told her so did mine, but not any more. Explained what I've been doing, and that I have not exercised at all, 100% diet.

I could tell her motivation level for change was really low and wanted a "easy" solution.

She brought up that she was looking into bariatric surgery, pretty sure I groaned and rolled my eyes.

Sadly, reminded me of this depicted old saying...

you-can-take-a-horse-to-water-illustration.jpg

Reactions: Greg

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's fish night.

Decided to try something a little different and make Salmon En Papillote.

Anyone like me that said, huh?

It's salmon in parchment paper, and steamed in the oven.

Pretty easy and interesting combination of ways to make it. Can even add veggies or whatever with it. And then the ahh moment, as steam and aromas are released at the opening.

3a3420414db0cbd42985d54fae77773d.jpg

7d1668d7923082feaf9670a72ff8e77b.jpg

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's fish night.

Decided to try something a little different and make Salmon En Papillote.

Anyone like me that said, huh?

It's salmon in parchment paper, and steamed in the oven.

Pretty easy and interesting combination of ways to make it. Can even add veggies or whatever with it. And then the ahh moment, as steam and aromas are released at the opening.

3a3420414db0cbd42985d54fae77773d.jpg

7d1668d7923082feaf9670a72ff8e77b.jpg

Been watching the cooking channel again?

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the 70 pounds off, I've been slowly working on some strength conditioning and flexibility training.

This week I dusted off my old Perfect Push-up. Anyone else try this before?

cb793895dc3d659dbf98cb130785c499.png

Talk about a bad start. 1st attempt, could not even do one. Seriously?

2nd attempt, struggled but did two. It is a lot more challenging then a normal push up. Just to be sure that was correct, I just did 10 regular with out much difficulty.

After my first attempt fail, I did do 6 of the modified push ups.

704f03eeb47859eec3487b4c805843a2.png

FYI Yes, that's me in the pics lol

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Growing up my #1 hated food was Liver.

At least once a week, mom would make this cheap hated dish.

With the rule that you could not leave the table until you eat everything on your plate, I'm just glad I had a dog, actually three ;)

ThinkstockPhotos-82548949.jpg

Last night I made the dreaded Liver and onions for the first time. While I was sauteing the onions, I went back and forth deciding if I wanted to cook the liver on the electric grill or risk screwing it up in the pan. Heated up the grill 3 times, fully aware of my pan difficulties. I burned bacon just the other day :rolleyes:

Finally I decided, I'm not going to get any better at using a pan unless I use it, so pan it is.

By this time, the onions were partially caramelized, which later would taste incredible.

I was shocked at how fast the liver browns up.

Meal completed and taste test time.

Despite the distinctive taste of liver, which was tolerable. Taken with the now caramelized onions, created many Mmmmm moments.

So in the end, I can officially say, that Liver is back on the menu :)

Reactions: Moot and ntimevan

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On purpose?

I've been asked this question about my weight loss twice in last couple of weeks.
Today it was followed up by, "well, that's enough".

Not that it matters, but both times asked by women.

For some reason, the "that's enough" comment today, kind of irked me.

Am I getting over sensitive about my weight on the other end of the spectrum now? I still want to lose 10-15 pounds more.

At 6'3 and 193 pounds, I hardly think of myself as a featherweight

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On purpose?

I've been asked this question about my weight loss twice in last couple of weeks.

Am I getting over sensitive about my weight on the other end of the spectrum now? I still want to lose 10-15 pounds more.

Their just jealous because women have a harder time at losing weight then men. I wouldn't worry about it. Keep up the good work. Your body will let you live a while longer.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On purpose?

I'm the same height and about 205 I say 190 is where I would like to be. Said as I drink my morning Mt. Dew.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jeez, I was 5'10" and now shrinking. I'm 190 lbs. You guys are 5 plus inches taller than me! My weight must be in mussel. Yeah mussel! I'm pretty sure its mussel. I read somewhere that mussel weighs more than fat.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tried my first fresh avocado tonight.

Besides being good for you, and providing a nice dose of health fats and fiber, It taste awesome.

I never knew there were so many creative recipes. I even saw one for avocado popsicles lol.

But mostly, I was just fascinated with the huge seed

578ff0764f10ef035156fbff2d885727.jpg

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I picked up a bottle of Bragg's raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar last night.
Wasn't totally sure how I was going to use it, but it has been recommended to add to my diet.

One suggestion, was to add it to my morning Bullet Proof Coffee.

Bullet Proof Coffee you may say?

A rather strange concoction consisting of:
Black coffee, Butter (preferably grass fed), and MCT oil.

May sound, and frankly looks gross, but if blended for a few seconds, (where the magic happens as I say), becomes a wonderful, nice looking, quick pick me up without the crash.. Also, helps to knock out hunger cravings and can be used as a meal replacement. Warning...can become very addictive :D

Back to the Apple cider vinegar. I added a teaspoon to my Bullet Proof Coffee.
Talk about a wake me up :eek:
At first, I thought it was totally gross and sent shivers through my body, besides some vocal comments ;)
But, by the end of the cup I was rather enjoying it as I got used to the new taste. Don't know if I'll use it every time, but it is an option. Will have to experiment with amount.

The other use for it I plan to make tonight, is a olive oil/apple cider vinaigrette dressing.
I have been using store bought olive oil & vinegar dressing. But I have been growing increasingly frustrated that I can't find one without added things I don't want in it. So, I decided to start making my own.

Last night I found recipes that can use the apple cider I bought, so will give it a try.

How to Make a Simple Vinaigrette Salad Dressing - Kitchen Treaty

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As mentioned above, last night I made the olive oil/apple cider vinaigrette. It tasted pretty amazing and much better then the store bought. I'll start trying out different vinegar's, but definitely will be making my own from now on :)

When I'm home, I like to try to make new or different things that aren't as easy on the road.

Today I was able to check off 2 things I've been wanting to make.

Actually started as one thing, but turned into two by default.

Today it was Avocado Cream Sauce.

PB1311H_avocado-cream-sauce-recipe_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.462.jpeg

I had everything I needed. Except one important ingredient...Mayonnaise.
I stopped buying it a couple of weeks ago, as I didn't like what they were adding to the "real" mayonnaise.

So now what?

Make my own of course :D

White wine or Champagne vinegar would be better, but I went with what I had on hand. The apple cider vinegar.

For my 1st attempt, I think it came out pretty good despite using the apple cider. I had to do a quick crash course on how to separate a egg, but it was worth it. So mayo is another thing I wont be buying again.

With my final ingredient in hand, I made the Avocado Cream Sauce.

OMG! Was this incredible. I put some on my salad. Dipped some cucumber slices, even put it on the pork chop I made. This was just fantastic, and of course best of all, it's good for you.

Note to self: You've come a long way from just pushing buttons on a microwave ;)

Reactions: Greg and Ragman

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm going Nuts :D

I recently added Brazil Nuts to my diet, along with Macadamia nuts, which are delicious, but this is focusing on the fantastic health benefits of the power house Brazil nut..

5 Amazing Health Benefits of Brazil Nuts

1. Anti-Inflammatory
2. Anticancer
3. Mood Lifter
4. Heart Health Booster
5. Thyroid Control

It’s important not to overdo it with these nuts, since the high selenium content can be detrimental if you overload your body with it.

This could happen if you overeat Brazil nuts in one sitting or repeatedly overeat the daily suggested amount of one to six nuts per day (depending on your selenium needs). It’s best to store Brazil nuts airtight in a cool, dark, dry place without exposure to humidity or sunlight.

Brazil nuts also spoil quickly, so make sure to purchase them in reasonable amounts.

Brazil Nuts: The Healthy Nuts that Aren’t Actually Nuts

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
New walking habit?

I have to admit on my latest weight loss journey, walking has not been my strong point.

I'll do the typical park far away from entrance, walking the aisles of Walmart, occasionally walk the J parking lot. But that's about it. I just can't seem to get back into just walking.

That said I have picked up a new habit.

Like today, I've started doing this the last 2 times I've taken my van into the local shop.

Instead of waiting around, I walk home to wait, have my morning coffee, then walk back when it's done.

I clocked the distance. It's exactly 1/2 a mile each way. I can't believe I actually thought about asking for a courtesy ride :rolleyes: I thought it was much further away. But it's actually a straight shot down the street from my house. A nice walk through the neighborhood with next to no traffic on my route. Doesn't happen a lot, but this is the 2nd time in a week I've done it. Got the tires rotated last time, now having the brakes checked out.

I actually enjoy the walk, so it's a good start to get me moving more, and will hopefully carry over to more walking.

walking-fb.jpg

Reactions: xiggi

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My low point was 208 and Lord I looked gaudy....pale, sunken cheeks....not healthy looking at all....and my BMI was only off like a puny 2 points....I am much more comfortable with body mass at around 230--235

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
80.jpg
Took a little longer this time to reach my next target weight, after my last weight update on April 6th 2017.

80 pounds gone as of today :)

2017-06-12_1047.png

Still maintaining a strict Ketogenic Diet with the addition of health nuts recently added.

I really wish I would have known about all of this decades ago. The American diet it trash, and has done us no favors.

The government, with lobbyist in their pockets holding them back, are slowly having to change in the face of years of growing scientific research debunking what has been programed in us as the recommended diet.

What the government now says you should and shouldn’t eat

Helpful resources that I have found:

For a quick crash course and my go to site for recipes...
A Ketogenic Diet for Beginners - Diet Doctor

For a more in depth look at separating "Fat from Fiction", I highly recommend the book or audio by Mark Hyman, MD "Eat Fat, Get Thin". He is the Director of the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine. If this information don't open some eyes, I don't know what else will. The last part of the book he gets a little too much into nutritional supplements IMO, but a excellent resource of information, and a leader in this field.

While Driving I listen to Lets Truck on Sirius XM Road Dog Trucking channel. The show comes on at midnight EST. Has a variety of information on trucking during the week, with selected days for the segment (and most popular) "Destination Health". Which focuses on the Ketogenic/Paleo diet and health. Since I often miss the program, I catch up by streaming the shows from the Lets Truck website. The shows can be found under Audioraod, then Destination Health. It's funny looking back before I started a ketogenic diet, I would roll my eyes when even Destination Health was featured. I guess it takes time to become unprogrammed ;)

Destination Health - AudioRoad

My current book "UNDOCTORED" by William Davis, MD (also author of Wheat Belly), is a very interesting and disturbing look into how Health Care has failed us, and how you can become smarter then your doctor.

The more I learn, the harder it is not to share. I have been holding back on sharing information, keeping things pretty generic. For most, including myself in the begging, this is a radically strange concept from what has been told to us our whole lives. But the urge to switch to more of an advocate role has been growing. If I can help open even one eye I've done my part.

Ghosts.png