Becoming an Expediter

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you recommend switching to a straight? I'm going to pay cash for truck, no payments and Ive got 300k experiences driving Sprinters nationwide.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Do you recommend switching to a straight? I'm going to pay cash for truck, no payments and Ive got 300k experiences driving Sprinters nationwide.

In most cases - I would say yes.

However, where you live and and what carrier your considering would be the deciding factor.

For example, If you lived in Pigs Knuckle, TX and looking at ABC Expediters - probably not a good idea.

Somewhere, OH and considering Panther, XPO or Load One - that would make more sense.

Also, if you look in the job section of this site, there are currently over 500 openings for Straight Trucks and only 110 for Sprinters. :bored:

Come on to the Expedite Expo in July to speak with industry's top companies. Register here.... https://www.expediteexpo.com/attend/register

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm based in Austin Tx, Grand Rapids and Los Angeles.

Considering a smaller carrier, maybe V3, Expeditus or Bolt possibly, Fusion or Roadrunner just have to find the one that has the lowest weekly fees and good connections with Tx freight.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Depends on your goals. Consider the income and the stress of each vehicle from tractor trailer to the van and decide your pay to pain ratio. For us we decided the stress of the tractor trailer was the worth the income, the van did not create enough income for our goals. The straight truck has fit us perfect for the past 12 years and I do not see that changing.

Reactions: TeamPaul

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can I realistically run 700-1400 mile hauls solo in a straight or is that delusional? Goals are to work hard for a month and take time off just be able to work and take time off when scheduled. With a van you end up getting a load, waiting a week or two to get another load back home and so much lost productivity, I mean I like trying out new restaurants and exploring new cities but at this point I'd rather work when I want to work and take off when I want to take off. ;) Right now I'm looking into part time local with Ceva and American expedite until I can change the state of things. These long hauls I'm doing are just killing having a normal home life. Yeah the money is great but the lost productivity isn't. I think I made 6200 in a Sprinter this last month off 3600 miles but there was so much waiting around, some days waking up in LA to see a guy pulling his Porsche out of his 3 million dollar home to go for a morning joy ride. :D Just watch those street sweeping signs!

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I made 6200 in a Sprinter this last month off 3600 miles but there was so much waiting around,
$1.72/mile is worth the wait!

Thanks Moot, yeah I can pull big numbers but like I mentioned at the end of the year with the lost productivity I think my income is only around 30-40k and was around 50-60 when I had two sprinters moving, I'm undergoing some kind of transition. I'm planning on doing 3 things with my 06 Sprinter 1. Keep it local for local freight 2. Upfit it for nationwide driving and let someone else deal with the beat you up vintage (thanks to brokecanadian for calling them what they are) sprinter vibration. 3. Turn it into a storage unit, currently have over $100 a month storage bill. :) I love the long hauls but I can't keep doing them after seeing the bose seat videos I'm really feel this is a cutting edge time to be in this industry and if you don't have the right gear you are getting beat up from the road. So be a 1-2 truck fleet owner (with me driving one to start) or drive the best equipment part or full time, some will tell me I'm wrong I'm sure and some will agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: brokcanadian

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I worked for American Expedite for six months once in that time span I had 8 runs that was based in Cleveland Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Sounds about right, I will push for a minimum of 1 per week or quit. If they don't use ya they lose ya approach ;) After all I'm not taking local runs to get rich, it's more like to keep the lights on and stay local until it comes time to do the long hauls again. No need to live off your new truck fund money.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Where do you live or can you dead head to a better area and then dead head home? trying to limit where you run in an expediter can be tough.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My main base now is Austin Tx but I have friend in LA and also Grand Rapids and used to live in Denver, decent amount of frieght in those cities to keep me going but I want to stay local now till I can upgrade to straight or 15/16 Sprinter. Leaning more towards the straight, its going to be cheaper then the Sprinter actually and also a 2012 or 2013 so almost as new as Sprinter.

T700straight

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I have a t700 that used to be a straight truck. I bought it and have been pulling 53ft trailers. Was thinking of either cutting the frame shorter or putting a box on and try expediting. What kind and size box would be best? Any info would be appreciated.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most say go with the 22 ft box, I'm wondering if the 20ft box would be ok myself. Anything shorter doesn't seem like a good idea. I think the 96" on the inside would be substantial for two 48" pallets, wondering about height, as far as the height goes I would want to match it up with the top of the truck (class 8) for wind resistance and fuel economy.

Last edited: