IRS Form 1099

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I received the following E-mail from Panther concerning 1099s for tax year 2016:

Dear Professional Independent Contractor,

As April 15 is rapidly approaching, we wanted to reach out to you regarding your IRS Form 1099 information. Due to new Federal laws, Panther is not required to send you an IRS Form 1099 unless you have received payments outside of compensation earned from freight hauling services.

Panther Premium Logistics has attached to this email a "2016 Tax Helper Detail Report". Panther is providing this report as a courtesy to assist you in your tax preparation for 2016.

The "2016 Tax Helper Detail Report" is NOT a 1099 form. Panther is only providing this to assist you in reviewing your revenues and expenses derived from Panther this year. Panther will not be issuing 1099's for compensation related to freight hauling services as payments made for the transportation of goods are excepted from 1099 reporting. The "Total Amount" line on the attached "2016 Tax Helper Detail Report" will equal the amount of total payments from Panther. Please consult with your tax advisor.

Is anyone else aware of this change? This E-mail included a link to my very own compensation for 2016. It was much more detailed than a 1099. It stated my year gross plus all of the deductions, ie: insurance, QC etc. Previous years I had to go through it week by week and add it up. For years I was after Panther to include a "year to date" total on my weekly settlement statement, to no avail. Now I have it! Well not a weekly year to date, but at least an end of year tally!

Are other carriers going this route?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This seems like a really bazaar rule change. Why in the world would they do this :think3:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This seems like a really bazaar rule change. Why in the world would they do this :think3:
I don't know! I started this thread to see if any other carriers were going this route. I totally believe everything Panther tells me without question but this one time I thought it prudent to get a second opinion. I will be meeting with my tax accountant in early March so he can clarify this for me. But in the mean time...anybody?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, after some searching it seems they are correct. Although not a new rule. Freight is except from 1099 reporting.

a12f8e898774e7a2f6c74b332f1c0e74.jpg

They may be correct, but seems like a really crappy thing to do. My guess is someone figured out the loop hole and it's for cost savings. So nice of them to provide the break down sheets as a "courtesy", now you figure out what to do with it

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That would be my guess. With no one reporting your income. Audit chance greatly increased.

We file electronically so no 1099 gets sent in, no idea what The accountant does to show he has seen the 1099, but I have only been audited once in 32 years

Lost in Space.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Landstar sends a 1099 via USPS and it is also available online. It would seem with "other" compensation throughout the year, not just "freight", that you should still get a 1099. Unless any extras like waiting time, loading or unloading, fsc, layover, etc. all fall into the same category.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would seem with "other" compensation throughout the year, not just "freight", that you should still get a 1099. Unless any extras like waiting time, loading or unloading, fsc, layover, etc. all fall into the same category.
The "other" for me would include income outside of transportation such as my former chinchilla business, Grit Newspapers, Pet Gators etc. Detention, FSC, layover etc. are included as compensation for freight hauling.

Reactions: Greg and RoadTime

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't gotten a 1099 from Panther in 2 years. Some how it gets lost in the mail every time. And every time I go down there and make stink about it, they tell me it's going to be 2 weeks of red tape. Been doing it with that form they sent you. Although H&R Block always gives me a look, it works. The whole thing still feels a little shady.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucfd608 and Moot