More Expediters Coming

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I know I was once a newbie, compared to OVM I still am. BUT, just following another expediters Facebook and I see a new post from someone starting orientation at Bolt today. He is going to be in someone else's truck. The first question he posted was "when will I get paid". He is starting with zero in his pocket, nothing to live on for 3 weeks till first check comes. I have seen so many posts from young people like this lately. What are there chances of success AND what affect will they have on our industry, or, has it always been like this?

Looking for your thoughts

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know I was once a newbie, compared to OVM I still am. BUT, just following another expediters Facebook and I see a new post from someone starting orientation at Bolt today. He is going to be in someone else's truck. The first question he posted was "when will I get paid". He is starting with zero in his pocket, nothing to live on for 3 weeks till first check comes. I have seen so many posts from young people like this lately. What are there chances of success AND what affect will they have on our industry, or, has it always been like this?

its always been like that..sometimes even worse like...I bought my van..Now what do I do? who's the best carrier to sign on with for a lot of miles....where is the freight lanes I read about?...

Reactions: Mailer and ntimevan

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
I predict one miserable SOB until he starts getting paid. Hope he at least has a Pro Driver card at one of the major truck stop chains so he can get a free shower now and then! Or has good begging skills to get one from a truck driver.

When I worked in college entertainment I heard a tale of a guy who went out on tour totally broke. His gas/hotel was covered by the company, and some of the schools would provide a meal as a courtesy. Otherwise, he was on his own. His co-worker said the guy bought a huge bag of cookies and ate those, mostly. Also had a limited supply of laundry and no money to wash them. After a couple of weeks, it was obvious this new guy wasn't working out. I ended up joining that tour out on the road to take over from the smelly cookie man.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Was told here at Laredo yesterday by a veteran team ( 2 years ..lol ) at Bolt that there was 16 new members at Orientation last week ... of course this Veteran team was upset yesterday because a newbie team unloaded Friday in Laredo (themselves on weds) and the Newbies got loaded out yesterday morning .... Lol .... ahhh as the Expediting World turns ... these are the Days of our Lives .....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Was told here at Laredo yesterday by a veteran team ( 2 years ..lol ) at Bolt that there was 16 new members at Orientation last week ... of course this Veteran team was upset yesterday because a newbie team unloaded Friday in Laredo (themselves on weds) and the Newbies got loaded out yesterday morning .... Lol .... ahhh as the Expediting World turns ... these are the Days of our Lives .....
a term I learned in my rookie years ..and some are best to learn this as well....
..."Dispatcher discretion" is always in play....being #1 means nothing....

Reactions: ntimevan

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Don't most companies have a honeymoon period? I could see a lot of newbies pushed to top of list to try and keep turnover down on new drivers and o/o's.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Don't most companies have a honeymoon period? I could see a lot of newbies pushed to top of list to try and keep turnover down on new drivers and o/o's.

At Bolt. expediting's training school, they prioritize the new drivers the day after orientation am
nd after that they swim with the sharks. As memory serves, they keep new drivers on a leash in the OH, MI, IN area for the first couple weeks, which is good. That being said, Bolt was good for me and I'm glad I chose them to start but I am glad that I joined Murrays Marauders at CRE and my goal is to, someday, grow up to be just like OVM:JC_ThankYou:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

At Bolt. expediting's training school, they prioritize the new drivers the day after orientation am
nd after that they swim with the sharks. As memory serves, they keep new drivers on a leash in the OH, MI, IN area for the first couple weeks, which is good. That being said, Bolt was good for me and I'm glad I chose them to start but I am glad that I joined Murrays Marauders at CRE and my goal is to, someday, grow up to be just like OVM:JC_ThankYou:
I don't know if that's a path you really want to follow! Lol

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember rea

I remembered reading the EO all the way back to when it first started.

The patterns appeared to be the same over the years. And over the years, majority of the members left and disappeared. But many are still here today. Ya, you know who you are, Lol..

Back then I'd ask myself, how did these folks still thriving today. I started to analyze those posts from the EO members, and I'd questioned each post in term of who, what, where, when, how and why.

And what I've found, in order to make it in the expediting, one got to know how to dissect the posts and analyze them. for me, the answers are always there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember rea

The patterns appeared to be the same over the years. And over the years, majority of the members left and disappeared. But many are still here today. Ya, you know who you are, Lol..

Back then I'd ask myself, how did these folks still thriving today. I started to analyze those posts from the EO members, and I'd questioned each post in term of who, what, where, when, how and why.

And what I've found, in order to make it in the expediting, one got to know how to dissect the posts and analyze them. for me, the answers are always there.
The information is there ... with a good decoder... lol

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

There is literally thousands of people if not tens of thousands who start regular jobs every week dead broke who don't even know how they are gonna buy gas to get to work for two weeks until their first check. Not sure what makes it any worse for a fleet driver.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I remember rea

The information is there ... with a good decoder... lol
decoder.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is literally thousands of people if not tens of thousands who start regular jobs every week dead broke who don't even know how they are gonna buy gas to get to work for two weeks until their first check. Not sure what makes it any worse for a fleet driver.
I guess it depends on the contract between the the driver and fleet owner. If the driver pays for fuel they will probably be spending more on that than the schmuck commuting to a regular job. It's more expensive to live on the road than at home. Waiting two weeks for a paycheck is standard practice. With a regular job you know that paycheck will be for 40 hours. Expediting, your first paycheck could be a negative number. I've had some of those.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess it depends on the contract between the the driver and fleet owner. If the driver pays for fuel they will probably be spending more on that than the schmuck commuting to a regular job. It's more expensive to live on the road than at home. Waiting two weeks for a paycheck is standard practice. With a regular job you know that paycheck will be for 40 hours. Expediting, your first paycheck could be a negative number. I've had some of those.
and one can run a tab on the roach coach till payday...:p