Jan..2017 locations & more

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Other then a couple of snow covered "where is the road?" patches,......

img_5662.jpg

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ahhh yes the ever elusive weekend load. Picked up in Houston deliver Monday morning to the Bronx NY.

And I sure hope that what I am hauling ends up in the trash next Sunday night......

See who can guess what I am hauling....

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Patriots Super Bowl Champion Jerseys?

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch
Those will be headed to Africa around mid-Feb.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My trip out of kenosha Wisconsin almost didn't happen.
Woke up at Walmart 23f, but apparently the 13f windchill was still too cold to start my van with one glow plug not working.

Great, wait for temp to go up? Call AAA? Go OOS?
Then I had an idea. I have a extension cord, why don't I plug my engine block heater into my inverter (which has 2 aux batteries) and see if I can warm it up. I waited 15 mins, and it started

Drove over to McDonald's to get my coffee, just got back in the van with my coffee when I got the load call. Talk about timing lol.

At least now I know I can do something other then just draining the battery on cold days. Also makes me think when at home, I don't need to keep it plugged in around the clock and save on electricity

Hoping to get some rest this weekend as I picked up a cold along the way

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm sorry but that's ridiculous, if people are running for that and feeling ok about it the business is worse trouble than I thought. SMH
It is in worse trouble than you thought. The van population isn't saturated, it's flooded. ALL miles on a 1000+ mile trip is very competitive.

A short while ago I was picking up at a shipper that was sending multiple shipments and the vans were all lined up waiting their turn. Two of the vans were from an expediter out of Cincinnati that I never heard of so I walked over to ask. Both Ethiopian, one spoke a little English the other none. Just arrived here and already they are "expediters". So when your carrier or my carrier bid, the brokers are also getting bids from these other high quality professional expediters. The # of underfunded drivers, O/O's, small carriers, brokers, etc, will continue to grow and if one fails, two will replace them.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch
I remember the Russian with all the flies around his van. Ethiopians now?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Booked for 0500 pick in Frankfort, IL. Yep another long D/H, Drop in McAllen, TX. No mileage Woody, just can't turn those numbers down. Fingers crossed.

Different strokes for different folks ...
I could easily turn down, and do, long loads to far off locations without 1 of 2 conditions being met:
1 - get the $ to DH out going in
2 - high degree of certainty of getting loaded out
Crossed fingers ... oh geez ...
After the numbers recently posted you may just be a glutton for punishment :p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Booked for 0500 pick in Frankfort, IL. Yep another long D/H, Drop in McAllen, TX. No mileage Woody, just can't turn those numbers down. Fingers crossed.

I could easily turn down, and do, long loads to far off locations without 1 of 2 conditions being met:
amazing how quick the numbers erode when including DH to rate....

example team runs 100,000 miles @ .85 a mile....considering industry average of 20% DH..that number is quickly reduced to .708 ALL miles
@ 25% DH its down at .68 ALL miles...AT .80 a mile then that reduces that .708 down to " TADA " the .65 the poster made.... DH is your enemy if you can not afford to absorb it....
The biggest factor now IMO is your CPM....IMO again anything over .30 and you are in trouble of working all the time and not being able to have a life...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

example team runs 100,000 miles @ .85 a mile....considering industry average of 20% DH..that number is quickly reduced to .708 ALL miles
@ 25% DH its down at .68 ALL miles...AT .80 a mile then that reduces that .708 down to " TADA " the .65 the poster made.... DH is your enemy if you can not afford to absorb it....
The biggest factor now IMO is your CPM....IMO again anything over .30 and you are in trouble of working all the time and not being able to have a life...
You're also reducing the life of your vehicle by a lot.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

You're also reducing the life of your vehicle by a lot.
by every factor of nickles .05 using the 100,000 example is another $5,000 in your pocket....YOU must reduce the CPM ...slowdown...that is one of the best ways to combat the assault of whats happening out there....and watch that DH...not every run is a good run...don't get a mileage woodie...Like going 2200 miles to the northwest only to take all your profit and end up DHing down 700-800 miles to LA....thats just dumb...I am sorry IMO

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You may be right, we may be crazy! We had just agreed to a short one up to the Fastman's pond. Five min. latter phone fired up with new offer to McAllen. As a team we have bounced down to the border and back in 5 days, throw in a Mon. drop, bonus. This time of year does reduce the chance's of a quick turn around. So a little luck would be good.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
by every factor of nickles .05 using the 100,000 example is another $5,000 in your pocket....YOU must reduce the CPM ...slowdown...that is one of the best ways to combat the assault of whats happening out there....and watch that DH...not every run is a good run...don't get a mileage woodie...Like going 2200 miles to the northwest only to take all your profit and end up DHing down 700-800 miles to LA....thats just dumb...I am sorry IMO
Good morning Mr. Sunshine ... doing my laundry here in Laredo ... We'll Wash ... open 7 days 7am to 11pm ... clean and 1.7 miles from H.E.B.. . parking across street for Bobtails or Str-8's ..... 37 ° during night ... going to do some insulation work this afternoon after Home Depot next stop ....

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You may be right, we may be crazy! We had just agreed to a short one up to the Fastman's pond. Five min. latter phone fired up with new offer to McAllen. As a team we have bounced down to the border and back in 5 days, throw in a Mon. drop, bonus. This time of year does reduce the chance's of a quick turn around. So a little luck would be good.

Sounds like a good trade to me! Lol my pond has really been dead for a month.

Sent from the deep end.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back home, feels weird not to have to put anything away, Mrs.Fast is a happy camper all the old stuff no longer taking up space. But I'm gonna miss that trailer when I have to move a car from shop to shop. Back in service after a shower and sleep.

Sent from the deep end.