January, Here's to a fresh start !!!!!!!

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A nice hiccup free load. Shipper was coached to provide the right info and paperwork, that info was all relayed to me...heck, even the customs stuff was already going before I had the freight on the truck...

I love doing runs for Jamie! She's got her stuff together! Can you clone her John?

guido4475

Not a Member
A nice hiccup free load. Shipper was coached to provide the right info and paperwork, that info was all relayed to me...heck, even the customs stuff was already going before I had the freight on the truck...

I love doing runs for Jamie! She's got her stuff together! Can you clone her John?
Jamie is one heck of an awesome dispatcher from day one. Quick. Efficient. Right on the money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: piper1

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Yesterday I got a niiiice load, both mileage and pay. So I was backing into the dock to get loaded and then a nice shiny Freightliner M2 straight from XXXX (a major expediting company advertising on this site) backs into the next dock, both of us got out and we started shooting the breeze. We started with the usual 'How is the business.....' blah blah, and then it got interesting.

He said that XXXX has all the freight, he turned down 5 loads before he got this load. Then, in a condescending tone, kinda 'mine is bigger than yours' attitude he asked me ' Why did you go to Load 1? You should have gone to XXXX.'

And I, being the nice guy that I am, lol, don't want to burst his bubble, so I just replied 'I bought this truck for cheap, paid cash for it, it is an excellent truck but it is old. XXXX would not accept me with this truck.' He proudly said 'Right now they would take you, but do it soon.' Sounded to me like a TV commercial, you know, like, this deal is only good for the next 30 minutes, so call now, don't delay....

We had to walk inside to start the process of being loaded and we continue talking here and there. He was going somewhere PA, I was going to Orlando FL area. He said that I had a nice load to his hometown and that this load should pay me around $1000. I don't usually discuss pay with anybody, but I felt the urge to do it now. So I said 'Yes it is a nice load, pays me almost $1300.' I wached as his jaw dropped when I mentioned the number.

By now I was loaded, went out to pull away from the dock and close the doors, etc. The guy was done too, he walks out of the building and he asked me, knowing that out loads were Hazmat. 'Did they give you placards, and are you putting them on?' I replied 'Yes, and of course I am putting them on. We run legally at Load 1.'

I started making my way to Orlando and kept thinking over and over about my conversation with this guy, and one thing kept popping into my head. The only positive thing about XXXX was that he got 6 load offers that day, while I got 1. Honestly, I don't enjoy turning down loads, I'd rather have 'One call, that's all.'

My conclusion is that Load 1 is the best kept secret in the expediting business.

Now, there is one advantage that company XXXX has, and that is the cost-plus fuel discount that they get at TA/Petro. I know that we can't have it all, but just hoping that one day we can also have this. Just like having the cake and eating it too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk