Millhouse logistics

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
-$35.00 Occ/Acc Insurance....Just ask Turtle how this saved his Azz when he broke his wrist in a work related accident and was sidelined for a few months....

Reactions: ntimevan

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
so pay them the $1,000 up front....thats a solution to that problem....
My thoughts on this is, If one can't afford the upfront charges just maybe you should not be in business...

a store owner has to put product on the shelves...that money comes upfront....you just don't get into a business with little or no capitol....
Why would one do that? I see no reason to hold an escrow, especially since they use the QC app. Anyway they have three paychecks on hold, so if there's something to charge the driver, there's lots of moolah, more than an escrow of 1000 bucks.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why would one do that? I see no reason to hold an escrow, especially since they use the QC app. Anyway they have three paychecks on hold, so if there's something to charge the driver, there's lots of moolah, more than an escrow of 1000 bucks.
I've seen more than one Driver take several weeks off before they give notice of leaving a company and never return so there isn't always ample money to recover debt from. Things like fuel card money owed, thrashed qaulcom, even repairs a company paid for. I think on a van 500 is probably plenty but I totally understand an escrow account.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've seen more than one Driver take several weeks off before they give notice of leaving a company and never return so there isn't always ample money to recover debt from. Things like fuel card money owed, thrashed qaulcom, even repairs a company paid for. I think on a van 500 is probably plenty but I totally understand an escrow account.

It's not a real fuel card, they load that Comdata card every time one gets a load, otherwise it's useless...

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had no problem recovering my escrow from them. Just took forever.

Same here, it took over 90 days, a letter from my lawyer and an intervention from BBB...
Now I'm dealing with other bunch of crooks from Ovie. It seems like they don't give a damn about lawyers or BBB...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not a real fuel card, they load that Comdata card every time one gets a load, otherwise it's useless...

I'm not referring to a card where they advance part of your pay. My last two carriers have provided us with cards, no load advance. The fuel purchase is s deducted from the following weeks check. I'm on vacation now if I wanted I could purchase all my fuel on the card during my trip.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Escrow is nothing but a fancy word for a security deposit... like first and last months rent... besides it's their way to operate ... if one don't like it, go somewhere else... no one is forcing you to sign up with them ... let your feet do the talking...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Escrow is a necessary evil. It really come more into effect on the larger units. A truck can fill up 300 gallons of fuel and then quit. When fuel is $3 a gallon you have very little "security deposit left. You need to make sure the owner returns satellite unit, scanner (in our case), permit books and all other required items like transponders or toll transponders. Then most carriers charge for quarterly fuel tax. So they have to wait to get all the fuel and mileage information and have it entered into the filings. Again, those happen quarterly not every week so that is often a big delay. Then you would be surprised how often getting final load paper work can be. (Although that makes no sense). Then a carrier deserves a certain fair period of time to ensure that no liability or freight claims come in. I have seen many times a driver knows something happened and they will leave or attempt to leave before the claim is filed. Then last but no least is advances. While many carriers do not assist owner operators financially with repairs some do. Often times these repairs are significantly in excess of that escrow. Will units borrow money to get a major repair and then quit to try and avoid repaying the debt..yes sadly it happens and that is the reason the majority of carriers will not offer this assistance. I believe the law says escrow should be refunded in 90 days. This is generally fair to clear all the items such as fuel tax and insurance (although claims can be slow). It should state in you're contract how escrow is to be returned. If it doesn't I would not sign that contract.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Again many of the above items do not apply to vans...but enough do. Many carriers have a tiered amount of escrow based on unit size to help accommodate this. For instance we are $500 on a van, $750 on a straight and $1000 on a semi. If you think of the cost of say an MCP200 satellite and scanner (new over $2k) and the fact of fuel.....it really does not offer a great level of "security" for the carrier. I can tell you personally we have to chase tens of thousands of dollars in equipment and debt every year.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not referring to a card where they advance part of your pay. My last two carriers have provided us with cards, no load advance. The fuel purchase is s deducted from the following weeks check. I'm on vacation now if I wanted I could purchase all my fuel on the card during my trip.
I know what you're talking about, Nations Express had such a card, but Bolt uses a different one, as I mentioned, they load the card only when requested by the driver after he gets a load.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Escrow is nothing but a fancy word for a security deposit... like first and last months rent... besides it's their way to operate ... if one don't like it, go somewhere else... no one is forcing you to sign up with them ... let your feet do the talking...
Even if I don't agree with the escrow, I don't mind to let them hold an escrow against my truck as long as the carrier plays fair and returns your money. Unfortunately some carriers prefer to give us hard time when it's the time to refund it....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even if I don't agree with the escrow, I don't mind to let them hold an escrow against my truck as long as the carrier plays fair and returns your money. Unfortunately some carriers prefer to give us hard time when it's the time to refund it....
I Missed where you may have posted you waited the 90 day period?....Thanks

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmm.... when i left Bolt ... my escrow was returned in 45 working days ... like they said in Oreintation ... Yes , i did call them on the 40th day in Safety to remind them .... but the $$$ was in my mailbox soon after .... i burn No Bridges when i leave ... someday you may need to go down that Path again ...

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Hmmm.... when i left Bolt ... my escrow was returned in 45 working days ... like they said in Oreintation ... Yes , i did call them on the 40th day in Safety to remind them .... but the $$$ was in my mailbox soon after .... i burn No Bridges when i leave ... someday you may need to go down that Path again ...

Smart business. It is too small of a world. (For example I can't shake OVM)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Smart business. It is too small of a world. (For example I can't shake OVM)

I hope we can connect for 1 last lunch before my last ride west...you are top shelf material John....:)