Espar Reliablity Pros Or Cons

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I was under the impression that the Espar units are fairly simple and reliable. Reading the pages of this forum , has made me wonder ?

jimmy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They are very reliable. They contain high heat and moving parts, so they won't last forever without maintenance and repair, though.

Reactions: schwanman

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was under the impression that the Espar units are fairly simple and reliable. Reading the pages of this forum , has made me wonder ?

jimmy
Oh I'd say they are reliable.....like everything they need care....yearly checkups....Cargo vans are more demanding IMO as every CV is insulated to a different degree and the varying cubic footage the unit is having to heat....The weather elements can effect it quite a bit as well....IMO each of us have to find the sweet spot on the thermostat where it works most effectively..I am most pleased with the unit itself....other then the replacement parts are IMO greatly overpriced....

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Webasto. Currently on year 5 and the only thing I've done to it is add a digital thermostat. Unit runs almost constantly from December to March. In my fleet days I had experience with both Espar and Webasto. While the Espars did provide a more consistent temperature when it was warmer out (spring and fall when you're just taking the chill off) they always required at least one yearly repair of some sort. Webasto's would last the 6 year trade cycle we had on the trucks..at that point we would take them out..our Webasto dealer charged us a flat fee of $300 to rebuild it and then it would go back in a new truck. The only thing we ever had to do to them was sometimes change the fuel filter..a 15 minute job and the filters are about 25 bucks IIRC. Cost new is the same as an Espar. I paid 800 CDN for mine and installed it myself.

Edit: when I say it runs from December to March I mean it is switched on (blower running) and the burner cycles through its modes based on heat demand.

Last edited:

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the replies. I sort of wish the truck I drive had an ESPAR or WEBASTO style heater, particularly if the boss keeps threatening , I meant offering me a load to the northwest

jimmy

schwanman

Expert Expediter
B1 gas going on 4th winter. Promasters do have the extra port on gas tank for install.
Cost of B-1 gas ...?
Where purchased .. ?
Where installed and Cost ..?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app
Invoice didn't seperate cost and installation. Bought and installed at thermo king millbury,oh. $1500.
They installed heater and then I built sleeper. I took back and they installed hoses and tested.

Reactions: ntimevan

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We have had little to no issues with our Espar units. Big thing is to cycle them in the off season to keep the fuel in the lines fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: SWTexas1

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please note a new heater replacement d2 is available at Chicago ThermoKing for $650.

They also periodically recommend replacing the fuel pump screen part # 13-510 $3.57
and the Strainer Glow pin 41-6822 $10.14

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I installed mine back in 2005, haven't done anything to it but run it since. I will replace the strainer/glow plug when I transplant it in a new vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Treadmill