High Cholesterol?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Years ago the doctor told Bob his cholesterol was getting high and he needed to change his diet. The medicine for high cholesterol has some serious side effects and that is when we found Niacin. Our first try with Niacin was pretty comical as we did not read the side effects and I thought I was going to have to go to the emergency room as I turned red all over and thought I was on fire. The side effect of Niacin is flushing and once we figured that out we bought the non flushing Niacin. Our next checkup and Bobs cholesterol was back down and he has never had to take anything. This is a good article explaining how Niacin works and what it is good for.

9 Science-Based Benefits of Niacin (Vitamin B3) http://disq.us/t/2gia0k4

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I was glad to see the article also explains what niacin is bad for under certain circumstances.
Those include:
  • Liver damage: This is one of the dangers of taking high doses of niacin over time to treat cholesterol. It’s more common with slow-release nicotinic acid, but it can also result from the immediate-release form (35, 36).
  • Blood sugar control: Large doses of niacin (3–9 grams per day) have been linked to impaired blood sugar control in both short- and long-term use (37, 38).
  • Eye health: One rare side effect is blurred vision, in addition to other negative effects on eye health (39).
  • Gout: Niacin can increase levels of uric acid in the body, leading to gout (40).
Notice that these effects may not appear instantly but may develop over time, without you knowing they are developing.

I while working as an expediter I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and the doctor offered to put me on medication to get it down. I declined, choosing instead to cut back on the drive-through food and to join a gym that had locations all over the country (Anytime Fitness). While still on the road (before we left expediting to run a different business), my cholesterol levels returned to healthy levels.

No prescription meds. No special supplements to treat the condition. No worries about liver damage or other side effects that may manifest without being immediately detected. My blood pressure was high also and it dropped after I started eating better and exercising.

Note that my circumstances and Bob's are very different. "Genetics, weight, age, gender, and diet all contribute to an individual's cholesterol profile" (WebMD).

Niacian that works for one person may not work for another. Niacian that harms one person may not harm another. But with exercise, every medical professional will tell you exercise, done safely, is good for you. Go with the Niacin or prescription meds if you have to, but it might be even more beneficial to first try exercise and healthy eating.

In addition to helping you address a particular health situation like high cholesterol, exercise can help:
The above list comes from WebMD. I'll add that exercise can help expediters improve strength, balance and flexibility, thereby making your physical labor easier and reducing your risk of injury on the job.

Pills have their place. Physical fitness offers more.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
  • Liver damage: This is one of the dangers of taking high doses of niacin over time to treat cholesterol. It’s more common with slow-release nicotinic acid, but it can also result from the immediate-release form (35, 36).
How much niacin is too much niacin? I take a daily multivitamin that claims to give me 100% of my daily requirement of niacin. I also drink a Carnation Instant Breakfast, somewhere along the line it became Carnation Breakfast Essentials. This powder drink claims to provide 25% of my minimal daily requirement for niacin. Add a couple of Pop Tarts or some other manufactured food junk and I'm over the recommended daily allowance. If I'm going to decimate my liver I'd prefer to do it while washing down my daily multivitamin with a Bloody Mary. Cheers!

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
How much niacin is too much niacin? I take a daily multivitamin that claims to give me 100% of my daily requirement of niacin. I also drink a Carnation Instant Breakfast, somewhere along the line it became Carnation Breakfast Essentials. This powder drink claims to provide 25% of my minimal daily requirement for niacin. Add a couple of Pop Tarts or some other manufactured food junk and I'm over the recommended daily allowance. If I'm going to decimate my liver I'd prefer to do it while washing down my daily multivitamin with a Bloody Mary. Cheers!

Carnation instanr breakfast and pop tarts... I craved that as a kid... the breakfast of champions!
I hope you are kidding with that stuff, it's some of the worst crap you can put into your body!

A good, high quality B Vitamin Complex is a good thing. That, along with high doses of fish oil is great for overall health and can keep cholesterol and trigs at healthy levels. Speaking from experience here... mine were sky high, at dangerous levels. Sugar and food additives are Poison.
Best thing I found was to eat less and move more. Keep it simple.
Let's be healthy out there...

Reactions: RoadTime