My Battle of the Bulge

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have never been able to find heavy cream so go for the whole fat heavy whipping cream. If you ever find it let me know.

I've heard Farmer's Markets may have it, or direct buy from local farmers. I haven't check out either yet.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Today, the uncertainty of which cream you should buy ends, because here’s your answer: it’s all about the fat. Heavy cream has a higher fat content than whipping cream, coming in at 36 percent, while whipping cream only requires 30 percent fat. When it comes to fat, six percent makes a difference.

While more fat usually means more flavor, one is not better than the other when it comes to cream; each one serves its purpose in our kitchens. Whipping cream and heavy cream will both whip into totally acceptable and delicious homemade whipped creams, but whipping cream makes a lighter, fluffier and more voluminous end product appropriate for topping pies, sundaes and just about everything else. Heavy cream, on the other hand, will still make great whipped cream, but it’s most appreciated in sauces since its high fat content will prevent any curdling and requires less time to cook down.

The good: This food is very low in Sodium.

The bad: This food is high in Cholesterol, and very high in Saturated Fat.

on the down side between the eggs (2 puts you over daily amount) the cheese and creams if one is also suffering from high Cholesterol.....some substitutions maybe in order. Losing weight while clogging your arteries,,, just can't win eh?.....LOL

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just did a video on making cauliflower & cheese as a substitute for Mac & Cheese that is very quick and easy to make in the truck.

I tried this last night. Unfortunately, I had an epic fail. After watching the video again, I saw my error. I made everything in one step and ended up with soup :rolleyes:

Watch twice, Cook once :D

Reactions: Greg

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Watch twice, Cook once
I guess it works for cooking the same for cutting wood(measure twice, cut once) :D

It's funny looking back. In my mind I knew that seemed wrong, as that's not how I would do it. But with my main course ready, I didn't want to take the time to run upstairs and watch the video again, I knew what I saw after all...NOT! :rolleyes:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I just did a video on making cauliflower & cheese as a substitute for Mac & Cheese that is very quick and easy to make in the truck.

I tried this last night. Unfortunately, I had an epic fail. After watching the video again, I saw my error. I made everything in one step and ended up with soup :rolleyes:

Watch twice, Cook once :D

Now that is funny!!!! First cook in water then drain the water... Just like cooking Mac & Cheese

Reactions: Greg and RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What a Crock!

While shopping I came across a large 1/2 priced pork roast for under $5. Seemed like something that I should buy, even though I didn't have a clue what to do with it. Lucky for me, It had a peel back sticker with instructions and recipes for a slow cooker. I think I have one of those somewhere. Oh yeah, that thing that has been sitting in my cupboard for the last 5 years that I never used :rolleyes:

Instructions were place roast in slow cooker, cook on high until tender. Approx 3-4 hours. Sounded like something I couldn't screw up. I started getting a little panicky that it wasn't done at the 4 hr. mark, and didn't want to open the lid to check it and lose 20mins of heat. So I let it go for 5hrs, which turned out to be closer to 6.

Thankfully slow cookers are very forgiving and, from what I've read, may have made it better by going longer.

The end result was a incredible tasting very tender pork roast. This was beyond simple to make, clean up was a breeze. Not to mention the great smells that come from it. I can't believe I've never used a slow cooker before. I see this cooker getting a lot more use now, instead of collecting dust :D

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No cauliflower, No problem Pizza

I wasn't planning on having another pizza. But when this new recipe popped up I thought I'd give it a try. Not to mention I was out of cauliflower, and it goes great with football ;)

I did botch up the crust a little as I took the recipe too literal. It said to "blend" the eggs and cheese together. So in my neophyte cooking mind, I used a blender, which pretty much liquefied everything :rolleyes:

Not wanting to start over, I continued. Trying to keep the now liquefied crust batter on the pan was a challenge, but it still worked out in the end.

Low-Carb Pizza - Diet Doctor

005.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Happy start to December. 2nd Target now in sight

aabc8813db214caf9939ec13bd679086.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I continued to learn how to cook for myself, another teaching moment came up tonight.

I bought a fresh salmon filet with full intentions of cooking it on my electric grill (which requires no skill :rolleyes:).
Then I thought, I really should learn how to cook fish in a pan, besides I bet it would taste much better.

So after a little research gave it a try. The filet turned out to much larger and thicker then I planned for, which caused a little concern about cooking time. So I just winged it.

I guess I went a little too long before I flipped it, but didn't burn it. I was cooking on medium like the instructions said. Maybe my medium was hotter then their medium, IDK. But when I gentle flipped it, I had fish flambe` :eek:

Beaker_muppet.jpg

Fortunately, it only lasted a second as I already had a lid over it for the splatter.
Startled me for a moment but continued on. Speaking of splatter, geez made a mess of the stove even with a lid.
A few minutes latter, the fire alarm is going off, this is not going very good o_O

In the end, I didn't burn the house down, and the fish was excellent. Although, the electric grill may be a safer choice for me next time. I'm open to any tips on pan frying. I obviously need them :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ragman

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
35 pounds lost in the books :)

Having firmly broke free of my first bounce line, closing in on Target #2

2016-12-16_1043_001.png

2016-12-16_1042.png

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
35 pounds lost in the books :)

Having firmly broke free of my first bounce line, closing in on Target #2

What program are you using to produce this chart, RoadTime?

The charts I use come from caloriecount.com
The red lines and text boxes come from a great little free screen capture program, that allows you to easily mark up the image with lines, arrows, text boxes, etc. called Jing

Share Ideas Instantly with Jing

Note: I find it's easier to mark up a image in layers, rather then all at once. As in the above graph example. I captured original image with the Jing program, added the red lines, saved image, bring new image back up, then add text boxes, save again. I find doing it this way avoids any overlapping issues that don't look right.

Reactions: Ftransit

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
View attachment 14962 I came across this while looking for something different...
That with a plain burger pattie

My first night using my new microwave on the road, I thought I would give this version of my favorite dish mashed cauliflower a try. I got regular not ranch.

OMG! This was absolutely horrible tasting. I could not doctor it up enough to save it. Besides the taste, there was nothing mashed about it. It was straight up puréed

Now it has been over 2 months since I've ate anything really processed, let alone a ready made frozen food. So it's possible my palate has changed. But I doubt it has changed that much, this was just nasty compared to my fresh home made version.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tried my 2nd attempt at making a salmon fillet. Wanting to avoid what happened last time, I tried making it on my electric grill. Came out perfect, although I still prefer the flavor of pan fried. But no mess, smoke, fire, and fire alarm going off was a big plus :rolleyes:

In my on-going quest of different ways to make pizza that don't affect my weight. I came up with a new easy way on accident. I thought that a pizza omelette would be rather tasty. While making it, I got the idea to just leave the omelette open faced and finish on low heat. The result was extremely easy, fast, and yummy :)

028.JPG