My Battle of the Bulge

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update:
Continuing to embrace the whole food LCHF/ketogenic lifestyle. Which I must say has been really easy for me to get on board with and follow.

Looking forward to breaking through the red line that I have bounced off of before...

2016-11-08_1046_001.png

Restart weight 264
Current weight 240.4
Total Loss of 23.6 lbs

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pizza Night in Low Carb Land

During the last week I have cooked more then the last 10 years. Sure I can put a frozen pizza in the over, put something on a electric grill that tells me when it's done, microwave some processed food. But actually make meals myself from scratch? Chef Ramsay had this to say about a dish of mine that went wrong...

salt.png

One good thing about cooking, I can learn from my mistakes :D

Trying out low carb dishes, I have made some real good ones that surprised me.
Broccoli and cauliflower, which used to cause a gag reflex at the thought, are now favorites of mine.
Mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. What a horrifying thought :eek:
But way beyond my surprise, it is now my favorite dish.

On to Pizza night, almost.

A few weeks ago I was chatting with a guy while waiting for my order at McDonald's. We were waiting a little longer then normal, because I total confused the workers by asking for a quarter pounder with NO Bun. The cashier understood it fine, but the poor young preparer was like, How do I do that? :rolleyes:

Anyways, talking to the guy about my diet. The guy said, yeah a guy at work is doing that, he has lost 20 pounds. But no pizza? He said with a grimace. My first thought was, that's a trade off I would make.

Come to find out there are lots of low carb options for pizza. One I tried tonight. It was a recipe that frankly I didn't believe had a chance in hell of working or being any good. My biggest doubt and curiosity was what the crust was made of. This bizarre recipe called for the crust to made of...cauliflower! Since I already knew I loved the mashed cauliflower, I was intrigued, but didn't see how this was going to make anything close to being called crust.

The finished product was definitely not pretty. Looked like something that got spattered on the wall.
But the crust worked. And really, this was one freaking good pizza. Somewhere under all that cheese is also ground beef haha. For my 1st attempt at low carb pizza, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

044.JPG

My next new attempt at low carb pizza will be...Eggplant Pizza. Hell, after finding out cauliflower works, I'm game for anything now ;)

DD-21-400x267.jpg

Reactions: Greg and Ragman

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RoadTime , please share how to make cauliflower pizza crust. That looks great!

I combined two recipes for my pizza (topping preference), but the crust is the same.

Ingredients

• 1 cup shredded cheese
  • 1 cup grated cauliflowers
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I substituted for garlic powder)

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grate the cauliflower in a food processor or with a grater. Place in a bowl, add shredded cheese and eggs and stir together well.
  2. Spread out thinly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, using a spatula, 11 inches (28 cm) in diameter. Bake for about 20 minutes or until it has turned a nice color, but no more than that.
  3. Remove from the oven. Spread the tomato sauce and add the cheese on top. Top with thinly sliced olives, bell peppers and onions. Sprinkle oregano/basil on top.
  4. Raise the temperature to 420°F (210°C) and bake the pizza for 5-10 minutes more.
Tip!
You can buy a tomato sauce or make your own. You can also use tomato paste diluted with a little water, or a finely chopped tomato. Ajvar relish or red tomato pesto is also delicious.

Low-Carb Cauliflower Pizza with Green Bell Peppers and Olives - Diet Doctor

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RoadTime , please share how to make cauliflower pizza crust. That looks great!

I combined two recipes for my pizza (topping preference), but the crust is the same.

Ingredients

• 1 cup shredded cheese
  • 1 cup grated cauliflowers
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I substituted for garlic powder)

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grate the cauliflower in a food processor or with a grater. Place in a bowl, add shredded cheese and eggs and stir together well.
  2. Spread out thinly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, using a spatula, 11 inches (28 cm) in diameter. Bake for about 20 minutes or until it has turned a nice color, but no more than that.
  3. Remove from the oven. Spread the tomato sauce and add the cheese on top. Top with thinly sliced olives, bell peppers and onions. Sprinkle oregano/basil on top.
  4. Raise the temperature to 420°F (210°C) and bake the pizza for 5-10 minutes more.
Tip!
You can buy a tomato sauce or make your own. You can also use tomato paste diluted with a little water, or a finely chopped tomato. Ajvar relish or red tomato pesto is also delicious.

Low-Carb Cauliflower Pizza with Green Bell Peppers and Olives - Diet Doctor

Thank you. I will have to try this when I get home. It looks very good for something spattered on a wall !

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cauliflower Pizza crust VS. The Scale

Normally when I have pizza I can count on a 5 pound weight increase or more the next day, which takes me 3 days to get rid of. Of course, I'm not talking about just one slice :D

The day after my CF pizza, despite going over board on the toppings and eating the last 2 slices when I was already full, I gained 1 pound, which fell off the follow day. So I definitely see its merits.

Now into my 4th week of LCHF, the biggest benefit I've found (besides the weight loss and not being hungry), is that not once after any meal have I felt sluggish and needed a nap. In fact, most of the time I feel energized.

Today I passed my first weigh target. According to BMI, I am no longer Obese and have entered the Overweight area.
Still a long way to get into normal range (about 38 pounds), so 1 pound at a time :)

2016-11-14_0934.png

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good job RoadTime . Keep it up.
TeamCaffee , did you see the pizza recipe Roadtime posted? It looks very good, and I know you are already a fan of cauliflower.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With time just about up before I hit the road, I just had to try the cauliflower pizza again

I tried to make it a little less splattered looking lol. Since oven times very, I tried baking the crust a little longer this time about 30-35 mins. Not sure it made that much difference. I just thought it needed a little more time.

d1a0b2d7b213d385e376f33382be91f8.jpg

But the result was still yummyville :)

6eae4b4e277cfc66bbf6d629eb41352d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That does look really good. I just did a video on making cauliflower & cheese as a substitute for Mac & Cheese that is very quick and easy to make in the truck. I am also going to have to try this crust.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just did a video on making cauliflower & cheese as a substitute for Mac & Cheese that is very quick and easy to make in the truck.

That's great. I'll have to try that. I bought this monster size head of cauliflower. I thought I was going to get charged double :D I still need to use it up. Already made 2 pizza's and a side dish from it and still have half a head lol.
The only ingredient I've been having trouble finding is the heavy cream. Maybe I'm not looking in the right areas of store. Although, I didn't ask anyone for help either :rolleyes:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I just did a video on making cauliflower & cheese as a substitute for Mac & Cheese that is very quick and easy to make in the truck.

That's great. I'll have to try that. I bought this monster size head of cauliflower. I thought I was going to get charged double :D I still need to use it up. Already made 2 pizza's and a side dish from it and still have half a head lol.
The only ingredient I've been having trouble finding is the heavy cream. Maybe I'm not looking in the right areas of store. Although, I didn't ask anyone for help either :rolleyes:
It's called whipping cream!

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's called whipping cream!

I think there is a slight difference, I'm definitely looking for the Heavy cream version ;)

The only difference: the amount of milk fat. "Heavy Cream has slightly more milk fat (36%) so it produces a thicker whipped cream that will hold its shape a little longer once whipped," Grant tells us. "Whipping cream has slightly less milk fat (30%), yielding a lighter whipped cream that is a bit more time sensitive."

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
TeamCaffee, Outstanding tip on cutting the cauliflower in a bowl. I was doing it on the cutting board and it would shoot off in every direction :D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have never been able to find heavy cream so go for the whole fat heavy whipping cream. If you ever find it let me know.