Why are these late night pick ups always late

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
When ever I get one of these pick ups between 10pm to 1am there ALWAYS late. I'm not talking 15 minutes late but like 2 to 3 hours late every time. It screws up my hole schedule. That's it. This is the last late night run I'm doing, it just not worth the aggravation.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree. Often times the problem is the person in charge of shipping, who works the 1st shift, schedules the pickup and then goes home. 8 or 10 hours and one shift later the parts didn't get finished and the driver is there waiting. Nobody knows what to do. Other times the shipper knows that they can hold the truck for two hours without paying detention and you get loaded an hour and fifty five minutes after your scheduled arrival time.

I know a few shippers that are consistently unprepared for late night pickups and I won't accept a load from them.

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree. Often times the problem is the person in charge of shipping, who works the 1st shift, schedules the pickup and then goes home. 8 or 10 hours and one shift later the parts didn't get finished and the driver is there waiting. Nobody knows what to do. Other times the shipper knows that they can hold the truck for two hours without paying detention and you get loaded an hour and fifty five minutes after your scheduled arrival time.

I know a few shippers that are consistently unprepared for late night pickups and I won't accept a load from them.

Nice to see I'm not the only one. Sometimes I think it's because are detention is to weak. When I was a truck driver detention was 40 bucks. So we never had late pick ups. But detention at 15, don't think it's enough to make the shipper care.

Reactions: Moot