How long till this starts hitting expedited carriers?

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, it's apparent that many loads have 4-6+ layers from the truck to the checkbook.

If a newbie were to ask me where is the easiest money to be made in expediting, I would tell them to position themselves between the shipper and driver.

Be neither a shipper nor driver. When the business goes south, you will have no assets to liquidate at a loss.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd love to see legislation regulation were three PL's or the end of the chain
When a three PL sells the load to a carrier or whomever and then they turn around and resell it creating a 4 PL
The broker system is sucking the life blood out of this industry in my opinion

Reactions: hazmat and Pro3500

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yep. One of the upsides of a larger carrier that has their own accounts. Less fingers. Lol

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I know that Jerry worked down there or at least he did.
Which Jerry are you referring to?
The more I learn about the way this terminal closing was done it sounds like it was a really really dirty deal for the folks involved.
Any carrier out here looking for a recruiter I can send ya to one of the best. This guy is so good he can hang on to trucks in the worst of times and no doubt some drivers will follow him.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
These couple of lines interest me:

As a result, he said, ELDs won’t affect fleet failures until the fourth quarter of next year, when they become mandatory, or the first quarter of 2018.

However, Broughton added, “This round of failures … may look minuscule once EOBRs are enforced on a ‘wholesale’ basis.”

Makes me wonder how many companies have been pushing their drivers to run illegal? Also hearing from owner operators who are under the misconception that their expenses should set freight rates.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
We have little control over fuel maintainence wear and tear tires insurance fixed costs all trucks suffer from , better fuel average taken into the equation we all have expensces but Sirius radio is a luxury not a needed part of cost required to run a load , saw with deadhead , lately most jobs I was offered had huge deadhead unpaid for like 300 for 225 loaded across pa 76 tolls the whole way ! This is what needs to be addressed ! The ignoring of good business practices and poor communication and lack of negotiations is what ha caused to to just give i up early for now. !

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Makes me wonder how many companies have been pushing their drivers to run illegal?

This brings up a question about running 2 log books. One being a elogs and the other being paper. How legal is this? If both logs are not activated the truck/driver is in violation and gets a call from the office stating so. Now talking to the office they say the elogs don't enter into the picture because they are there for training purposes only.. Talking to a DOT officer at home he states training is to be done prior to actively being placed on elogs and if he sees both logs in use at the same time there will be a bunch of violations issued to all involved. Who do I believe here?
(Not only is it time consuming but its a royal pain to match both logs so they read the same. And nearly impossible to do)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
You listen to the dot anything else will cost you!!
Kinda my thought also. I briefly thumbed thru my Lil green book and didn't find anything that touched on training. I'm going with the assumption that I am running 2 logs books and I am in vialotion no matter which way I turn. :D

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
What are you gonna do ....tell the DOT officer ? Here is my log book and the last however many days you Wish to see . Oh , and by the way , I've also got this little tablet that we are using also to prepare ourselves for ELogs . You want to see it and compare ? Do you point out stuff he misses also ?

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see nothing wrong with having both electronic and paper logs as long as the RODS match ( rounding accepted on paper version of course ). Assuming the e-log mandate does in fact go into effect, I will absolutely continue to run a paper log as well. Doesn't mean I'm going to show it to a DOT officer, but, frankly I see it as necessity for several reasons. 1. "Gadget" failure 2. Tax records 3. Reference information

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
What are you gonna do ....tell the DOT officer ? Here is my log book and the last however many days you Wish to see . Oh , and by the way , I've also got this little tablet that we are using also to prepare ourselves for ELogs . You want to see it and compare ? Do you point out stuff he misses also ?
I don't make a point to hid either one of them..I don't know and that's why I'm asking.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I see nothing wrong with having both electronic and paper logs as long as the RODS match ( rounding accepted on paper version of course ). Assuming the e-log mandate does in fact go into effect, I will absolutely continue to run a paper log as well. Doesn't mean I'm going to show it to a DOT officer, but, frankly I see it as necessity for several reasons. 1. "Gadget" failure 2. Tax records 3. Reference information
I don't know if 2 books are right or wrong. I agree on the records as I keep and show all activities on every change of duty status. I don't think the elogs let us do that? And then I want my copy so untill I know we can print out a page I'll keep some sort of record for the tax man