CDL Medical Experience December 2015

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Went in for my medical today, passed, BUT I can tell you that the rules are tightening significantly, the hearing test is more sophisticated, they took neck measurements and waist measurements along with the usual weight, etc. and the agility test will likely fail anyone seriously overweight. I am type 2 diabetic and have been for about 10 years, that will eventually probably be the thing that keeps me from passing a medical (one year leash now). Because of my blood sugar I make regular visits for checkups/meds, I think if I walked in off the street they wouldn't give me a medical and they have stated as much, they are only giving medicals to regular patients now with the new tighter rules.My advice to all is be proactive about your health with 6/12 month regular vists so corrective action can be taken on an ongoing basis, otherwise, unless you are in perfect health I can see some surprises happening when you go in to get a medical card.

TS

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
TS: my experience was different. I had the usual hearing test [forced whisper], and no BMI measurements at all.
The participating medics were required to learn the parameters, and while I didn't view the DVD of actual regulations, what I read of them indicates that at least some of it is entirely up to their discretion. Some will be very painstaking, not wanting their judgement questioned by the authorities [DOT], others, not so much. My issue was with the vision test, which the nurse practitioner said I failed. I went immediately to an ophthamologist who did more extensive testing, and he said [in so many words] that she was nuts - my vision is just fine. [I just retested for y CDL and they said the same]
As with any visit to a new doctor, it's a crapshoot, looks like.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I have had a whisper test previously, the last time two years ago by the same clinic and NP, today it was a gizmo she stuck in each ear a then made different loudness and pitch tones to see if you could hear them, times, they are a changing.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Last year I went in for my Medical card from a new doctor. After his staff did the basic testing, he looked at my list of medications and diagnosis, he kept pointing at his training manual, grabbed me by the arm, walked me to the front desk, handed me back my paperwork, and instructed his front desk worker to give me my money back. At the time, I took that as an unofficial FAIL!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You weigh eighty four pounds dripping wet.

When's the last time you had YOUR vision checked?!
On a related note, I read that prior to 1998, the official cutoff (for overweight) BMI was 27.8. It was dropped to 25 on the recommendation of a Task Force, chaired by Xavier Pi-Sunyer, a professor at Columbia University. He was also a paid consultant for the makers of several diet drugs, and the work of the Task Force was paid for by the same industry.
How does such blatant self serving crap become the standard that rules us?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
When's the last time you had YOUR vision checked?!
On a related note, I read that prior to 1998, the official cutoff (for overweight) BMI was 27.8. It was dropped to 25 on the recommendation of a Task Force, chaired by Xavier Pi-Sunyer, a professor at Columbia University. He was also a paid consultant for the makers of several diet drugs, and the work of the Task Force was paid for by the same industry.
How does such blatant self serving crap become the standard that rules us?

It's the government at work he with the most money and deepest pockets wins

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
if it's not on the medical form then I'll ask them what their doing. Because sleep apnea isn't on the for because congress and the president signed into law, that unless FMCSA writes a rule you cannot test for sleep apnea.

The law states you cannot use BMI or neck size to require a sleep test.

The only way then can test for this comes from company rules.

Know your tights for the physical.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just did mine and have to have a sleep test done. There's 5 things they test you for if you fit into any 3 you have to have the test. As I remember they are: weight, height, age, blood pressure one more I can't remember. I asked if she would be taking my neck measurement she said no they ruled that out. Although she said she can take it but can't use it on it's own to fail me and it is no longer part of the five. She didn't take it. She followed exactly what the law requires her too. Mine was $75.00 by the way. When I complete my sleep test she will stamp me for a another year. By the way failing the sleep test does not deny me a card. It's just a matter of record for now and suggests that I wear a mask. Although I know a WalMart driver that has to wear his in the truck. He can't sleep with it so he drives with it on for at 4 hrs a day. Claims it records his use although the doctor said she is not aware of anyway to track the usage. Currently I have a 3 month extension. My blood pressure requires that I be tested every year. I took mine Dec 12th. This is the form she used. There's also some good reading at the bottom. Some Doctors are going beyond what they are required to. It's important that you know what is expected and what test your doctor will do. If the test goes beyond whats required say something. If they insist on going beyond leave! If your in NY I can give you the doctors number that did mine. She has a clinic every week just walkin. She's retired and doesn't do it for the money, just covers cost.

Attachments

• Medical_Examination_Report_for_Commercial_Driver_Fitness_Determination_649-F(6045).pdf
    378.3 KB · Views: 7

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Went in for my medical today, passed, BUT I can tell you that the rules are tightening significantly, the hearing test is more sophisticated, they took neck measurements and waist measurements along with the usual weight, etc. and the agility test will likely fail anyone seriously overweight. I am type 2 diabetic and have been for about 10 years, that will eventually probably be the thing that keeps me from passing a medical (one year leash now). Because of my blood sugar I make regular visits for checkups/meds, I think if I walked in off the street they wouldn't give me a medical and they have stated as much, they are only giving medicals to regular patients now with the new tighter rules.My advice to all is be proactive about your health with 6/12 month regular vists so corrective action can be taken on an ongoing basis, otherwise, unless you are in perfect health I can see some surprises happening when you go in to get a medical card.

TS
I agree, my DOT Physical for Class A was a great deal more detailed. Last one, 2 yrs. prior.
Two Ohio DOT Docs I saw said by Law they have to go by your BMI as to whether they test you for sleep apnea.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
You may need to look for a trucker friendly dr. Unless you so large statutes it's that obvious you need checking.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Two Ohio DOT Docs I saw said by Law they have to go by your BMI as to whether they test you for sleep apnea.
I would ask them to show me that law, knowing full well that they wouldn't be able to. Even under the FMCSA Medical Guidelines (which isn't laws or regulations) for diagnosing sleep apnea or sleep testing, BMI isn't mentioned anywhere. Not once.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sleep apnea is mentioned under Respiratory Dysfunction, [no BMI mention at all], where it says "If the condition is likely to interfere with a driver's ability to safely control the vehicle" and I'm thinking that's a rather high bar to clear, no? "Likely to" is a great deal more assertive than "possibly" or "could be".

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My family doctor did my test prior to this one. Had I been thinking I would have never checked the box for high blood pressure. My family doctor did because she treats it. However my doctor can no longer do it. I was never asked or signed a form to release my medical records. Next year that box won't be checked. Unless I sign a form to release my medical records they have to take my word on my medical condition. Will my medical card be permanently revoked? I doubt it. Simple mistake not checking the correct box. Of course I could just get healthy and get off my meds.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, simple "mistake" or not, the medical form is signed by you as true and correct. Any lying makes your medical card, and thus your CDL, void.

You don't really think you're the first person to think lying on the medical history is THE loophole, do you? If the medical examiner thinks more information needs to be obtained from your regular treating physician, and you refuse to allow it, you won't get your medical card.

What happens if a driver is not truthful about his/her health history on the medical examination for

Reactions: TruckingSurv