One Man Fight to Save the Expedited Trucking Industry

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You'd have better luck snapping a picture of every Mexican you see and reporting them to the INS...the odds are in your favour....:p

Reactions: fastman_1

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
I get your frustration and desire to do "something, anything" on this issue. Some of us realize that as O/Os we are limited in what we can do to effect this situation. What John, Mike and Steve are doing is what will truly have some effect. They're respected, smart guys with some serious clout. I'm happy that they have our backs on this and I can do my part by being competent O/O that provides good service. I've found that getting all wound up about things I can't do much about tends to not be very productive. Seriously... I just don't see Steve Croft wanting to ambush a guy in a Penske truck anytime soon...
Steve Croft remain to be seen.They seem to like doing social issue things these days.Like Ferguson,Baltimore, Cleveland
news people like to throw another log on the fire,so they can rush out start to film burning business.Have you notice that working people don't have problems with Police.I'm not holding my breath,to view this issue on Sunday night. A friend of my family when to school with a producer there.Anything I being up or post I have to defend my position with a lot of BS.There a lot more out there that feels the same way and would like do something anything but rather stay in the back ground.You have to realize some of the one who are alway poping off really don't care what happens to this Industry.

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
Deadhead, keep doing what you're doing. Don't let one guy with a negative outlook on apparently everything discourage you!! I'm on the board with TEANA and it's an uphill battle, but we have to keep up the fight!
I'll take those pictures you sent me to everyone I meet!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Working something like this from the drivers or owner operator side is going to net minimal results. There are many OVM's out there with that view. Well, maybe minus the shorts. lol. Just like many things in our industry, the opinions, wants or needs are all over the place. Kind of like trying to organize a truckers strike. It is that very reason this industry gets over regulated because it is profitable and there is not a whole lot of pushback.

What will net results as mentioned is education and pulling the profit incentive out of it. It is a uphill battle when you have some of the larger carriers utilizing these cheap/underinsured carriers/operators. No need to pretend they don't and they know who they are. I also think they are well aware of the risks and exposure. The minute you see litigators on their payroll, they know.Much the same way truckload carriers go for inexperienced drivers because they have determined it can be cheaper and the risk is worth that reward. Thus the revolving door and outrageous turnover they have.

Only when the risk becomes greater than the reward will this start to change. Education, especially high profile accidents and those results will change carrier and shippers habits. One of those, follow the money. That will net more positive results verses photos of a overloaded sprinter. Cops aren't going to spend much time chasing plumbers and carpet installers because the backend is dragging. Better to work something like this from the source.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Working something like this from the drivers or owner operator side is going to net minimal results. There are many OVM's out there with that view. Well, maybe minus the shorts. lol. Just like many things in our industry, the opinions, wants or needs are all over the place. Kind of like trying to organize a truckers strike. It is that very reason this industry gets over regulated because it is profitable and there is not a whole lot of pushback.

What will net results as mentioned is education and pulling the profit incentive out of it. It is a uphill battle when you have some of the larger carriers utilizing these cheap/underinsured carriers/operators. No need to pretend they don't and they know who they are. I also think they are well aware of the risks and exposure. The minute you see litigators on their payroll, they know.Much the same way truckload carriers go for inexperienced drivers because they have determined it can be cheaper and the risk is worth that reward. Thus the revolving door and outrageous turnover they have.

Only when the risk becomes greater than the reward will this start to change. Education, especially high profile accidents and those results will change carrier and shippers habits. One of those, follow the money. That will net more positive results verses photos of a overloaded sprinter. Cops aren't going to spend much time chasing plumbers and carpet installers because the backend is dragging. Better to work something like this from the source.

Would love to see owner operators and fleet owners ask their carriers if they are using these rogue carriers.....the more things are questioned or the light is shined on an issue it helps. Is it a small help, even tiny? Yes but every bit helps. TEANA and certain carriers can win battles. Takes everyone to win a war. Educating other carriers and shippers is the D Day fight.

Reactions: davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You asked some very good questions about what my purpose is,and what difference does this make.I sorry that my post are vague.I have forward photos to Taxes Highway Patrol,Commercial vehicle enforcement,also to State of Arkansas in Little Rock, where trucks travel thur.I don't know want the outcome well be,hopefully they get the word out and start stopping these people.

You are addressing what I was getting at ... specific action; especially action that other owner/operators can emulate. Can you say more about "forwarding photos." Is that all you did, send pictures? Did you make an actual report? Did you name the violations? What exactly did you say to the agencies you communicated with? The ore you spell it out, the more others can learn how to do the same.

As far as me wandering around truck stops gave insight into what and where these people are from and how they operate.

Can you say more? It becomes less vague when you explain who "these people" are and what they are doing exactly.

I called into Talk Radio Show on WLW getting the word out.I with the help of a family friend has a contact at 60 Min. about any interest in doing a story about this issue.

As someone pointed out above, this is not a big enough issue for a mainstream media outlet to get interested in. It might happen if an illegal expediter takes out a school bus but even then the story would only last a day or two. Calling into the talk shows on trucking radio might be more effective in building awareness among drivers.[/QUOTE]

What good is all this is going to do,you tell me!

Without specifics, it is hard to say. I do give you credit for trying.

Have you read anything here thats not real and doesn't effect this whole Industry? Please answer my question don't post a cartoon and a comment that not on this subject(not that you would).

That goes to the point about vage I made earlier. When you use words like "anything here that is not real" and "the whole industry," I'm sure you have a clear idea in your mind about what you mean. But your readers are left to fill in a lot of blanks on their own. What "real" and "the entire industry" means to you is likely something different than what it means to me, and something different again to what it means to other individual readers. Heck. Ask ten expediters to define the expediting industry and you may get as many as ten different answers.

I'm one person doing everything I can to make my nut each month,and want to work in a job I enjoy doing. My position has always been focused getting the word out.

That changes things. Before, I called you an activist. But if your role is limited to getting the word out you are an agitator at best, and only then if anyone pays attention. Getting the word out in a vague fashion greatly increases the likelihood that you will be ignored.

You have initiated a meaningful discussion in this thread. For it to go further, specifics and activism are required.

Reactions: aquitted

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Deadhead....you should be more worried about guys like me.....very low CPM with a 2nd income ...plenty of us around that doesn't need the big money to make a decent profit.....there is a move away from the bigger carriers for a good reason.....we want to use that low CPM to OUR advantage and not be overbid and lose loads and sit for days on end.....bigger carrier won't do that...they have profit margins themselves to contend with....

Numbers wise, I don't believe people who don't need to make big money to make a decent profit are the threat that illegal expediters are. People who are not hungry don't work all that hard so, as a group, they haul fewer loads and thereby have a smaller impact. Also, they are hauling less weight and thus less freight. And, they are running legal, which does a lot to level the playing field. While I do not have stats to back this up, I believe the illegal expediters vastly outnumber the expediters you describe. That makes them a legitimate threat to be concerned about.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Would love to see owner operators and fleet owners ask their carriers if they are using these rogue carriers.....the more things are questioned or the light is shined on an issue it helps. Is it a small help, even tiny? Yes but every bit helps. TEANA and certain carriers can win battles. Takes everyone to win a war. Educating other carriers and shippers is the D Day fight.

That's another things Owner/Operators can do ... they simply need to know what questions to ask. Once again, a "how-to" publication can do a lot to put willing people in action.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Numbers wise, I don't believe people who don't need to make big money to make a decent profit are the threat that illegal expediters are. People who are not hungry don't work all that hard so, as a group, they haul fewer loads and thereby have a smaller impact. Also, they are hauling less weight and thus less freight. And, they are running legal, which does a lot to level the playing field. While I do not have stats to back this up, I believe the illegal expediters vastly outnumber the expediters you describe. That makes them a legitimate threat to be concerned about.
The industry seems to be trying to clean them out .... Slow process but IMO it won't make a big difference .... They are just using the loophole filled system .... I believe many will pay the extra dollar and some will move on... Legal Insurance doesn't make a big impact... Maybe like I said .05 to .08 a mile ... So if they are running now for 60-70 cents it not really going to bump the rate that some guys think they deserve

deadhead

Veteran Expediter

I agree with you we don't the cops pulling over plumbers and carpet installers,these trucks are not local guys going to work,they from all over the country Ill,Wis,Oh,Tx,Ca,Az, you name it.Joe the plumber is not hanging out at the truck stop.They learn about how to get that free shower. The truck stops in Laredo are packed full and believe they not plumbers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I bump into guys like me All the time Dave.... Problem is there is division in the ranks.,... The ones that need this business as thier primary source of income and those driving for green fees and paid grandchild visits! Lol
Most of the major players all pay between 80 to 95 a mile all in.,.. And there is nothing wrong with that

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

That would be my take. Most that engage knowingly with the rogue carriers are going to be pretty secretive about those dealings. "They had the right paperwork we think". lol

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do seem to remember a good number of posts about those trucks at one time by a certain person.
Yeah me too... Then the learning curve came into play ..., I realized I was wrong and changed my opinion! Like someone changing their opinion about cube vans... :p
I hate cubes someone once said! Then went on a recruiting drive to put them on...

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
You are addressing what I was getting at ... specific action; especially action that other owner/operators can emulate. Can you say more about "forwarding photos." Is that all you did, send pictures? Did you make an actual report? Did you name the violations? What exactly did you say to the agencies you communicated with? The ore you spell it out, the more others can learn how to do the same.

Can you say more? It becomes less vague when you explain who "these people" are and what they are doing exactly.

As someone pointed out above, this is not a big enough issue for a mainstream media outlet to get interested in. It might happen if an illegal expediter takes out a school bus but even then the story would only last a day or two. Calling into the talk shows on trucking radio might be more effective in building awareness among drivers.
I think you mean well thank you for your advice.

Without specifics, it is hard to say. I do give you credit for trying.

That goes to the point about vage I made earlier. When you use words like "anything here that is not real" and "the whole industry," I'm sure you have a clear idea in your mind about what you mean. But your readers are left to fill in a lot of blanks on their own. What "real" and "the entire industry" means to you is likely something different than what it means to me, and something different again to what it means to other individual readers. Heck. Ask ten expediters to define the expediting industry and you may get as many as ten different answers.

That changes things. Before, I called you an activist. But if your role is limited to getting the word out you are an agitator at best, and only then if anyone pays attention. Getting the word out in a vague fashion greatly increases the likelihood that you will be ignored.

You have initiated a meaningful discussion in this thread. For it to go further, specifics and activism are required.[/QUOTE]

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just for me personally I find my life simpler and stress level lower when I don't worry about what others do. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that but I like things better that way.
I agree. Put on some Bob Marley, dream of beachs with palm trees and a cold frosty cocktail (when out of service) and lower your blood pressure. It will take a horrendous accident or two with high profile coverage and maybe the shippers will take notice. Until it get too costly for them to cut corners, they won't change. All most business care about is $$$. They have no morals and no souls. Some day they will all burn, until then we have to deal with them. Send B O a letter. He likes to executive order new regs. He may open the border so freight no longer gets transferred in Laredo or eagle pass and they can drive it straight thru on the same school bus they haul water melons on. The one with the middle cut out. Now that would be way cool. Make it an equal playing field so we can all get along. Hope you are prepared for the solution. I'll be at the beach if you need me. I see a margarita and some Jimmy Buffet in my future if they make us log and scale.

Reactions: aquitted

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just love expediting. :D
Me too. The freedom, the opportunity, the chance to succeed or fail by your own actions, to make good or bad choices with no one to blame but ourselves. This is what America is to me. Very few industries give us this much freedom. Along with it comes responsibility for you own actions. Live your life with honor. Let the other guy mess his life up how ever he sees fit. If you fail. It was all you, no excuses. This great industry lets morons be morons. How cool is that.