One Man Fight to Save the Expedited Trucking Industry

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Show me where I said anything about not caring about people. Your making things up now. Again it's a forum, it's an open debate all ideas are welcome.
This not personal.........maybe i read more into what you said an took it out of context. I'm not one to make up things up! I meet and talk with a lot of driver when on the road I given my card and have them call me when and if I'm in my hometown I meet them to lunch.Being on the road I know how hard it is to get a good meal.You see I want to be good guy too.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am legal...my carrier is legal....we've done our part....now let others do their part...
let the insurance companies do their part
shippers do their part
brokers do their part
carriers do their part

together we can make a difference by coming at the illegal ones from all sides and squeezing.

for your time and inclination....Thank you

What would that look like? What would the insurance companies, shippers, brokers and carriers do exactly?

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Duty, God, Corps, Country works best for the Marines, but won't work at all for a disparate group of independent business people running their own businesses.
Thanks for your reply. As far as independent go, they are that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
have a smooth streamlined automated system in place....to assure that proper coverage is in place....like a central clearinghouse....just type in policy number and it wouldn't matter which policy carrier info would be displayed in real time....they have that in Ontario Canada....all the insurance co are linked...
any authorized person could just dial a 1-800 number and see your policy with personal info not available
not having insurance is a $5,000 fine first offense....

Reactions: deadhead

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Lol, I must say this thread is interesting and full of excitements. Thumbs up to all participants:)

A short intermission is in order...

I made this amateur tai chi/qi gong video few years back and thought it would come in handy some day.

So, get out of your truck, take a deep breath and start rocking! Lol....lol...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QtwIwAA&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fdZHSstPAXs&rct=j&q=qi gong point monterey&ei=nA5vVav4Asq5sAX5mYCIAw&usg=AFQjCNHuXKF2oegPfZQYnGNnqNnk89c4jA
What part did you like the best?

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
have a smooth streamlined automated system in place....to assure that proper coverage is in place....like a central clearinghouse....just type in policy number and it wouldn't matter which policy carrier info would be displayed in real time....they have that in Ontario Canada....all the insurance co are linked...
any authorized person could just dial a 1-800 number and see your policy with personal info not available
I smell the wood burning,very good.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
there are very few insurance carriers subscribe to expedite coverage,,,,to have a central information line should not be that hard... only info one would see is Policy specifics...no personal information would have to be included.

Yes there would probably a 24 hr delay for computers to update to mainframe....so the the best/worst case scenerio is they sneak out 1 load...

even the much heralded VOI has loopholes...

Reactions: vandriver2

ATeam

Retired Expediter

OK. That's what the government would do (more regulation) by requiring insurance reporting as you described. What about the other entities you mentioned?

Also, what would the drivers do? You left that important component off your list.

Reactions: vandriver2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK. That's what the government would do (more regulation) by requiring insurance reporting as you described. What about the other entities you mentioned?

Also, what would the drivers do? You left that important component off your list.

regulation type enforcement is exactly what TEANNA is proposing....a board that has a set of criteria/standards/rules to abide by...

maybe owner/operators would have been a better choice....

to do the right thing...make sure your policy is correct.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can complain and talk about the problem all you want. Post on the forums, go on talk radio and write your congressperson.

OR........

Do like was suggested. Get detailed info on any truck you think is in violation of some law and immediately report it.

Actually do something constructive and then maybe more will follow suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What part did you like the best?
Great question brother:)

All of it. It's nice to know that each one of us have different perspectives on this one subject matter.

My thought? Just don't let it kill your health while engaging on the discussions. We loved our EO members, we like them alive, lol.

I must practice my Qi Gong now....:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
don't underestimate the power of the social media....these political aides do a search on a subject via the web....the amount of buzz and discussion here, on FB and on Twitter, will show up in the results....like how popular or unpopular an issue is....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bet Jesse would wade in with both feet and support this issue,remember he was a Seal he knows what made this country great.
Is that why he lives in Mexico and only comes north for the occasional lawsuit?

The last 8 yrs prove if you get out the vote your dog Spot can get in the White House.Can a dog run?Thats right he has to be a lawyer.
Or a wrassler.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I must say some can't the trees for the forest.

I can see both!
010_zpsceinmva2.jpg

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I bet Jesse would wade in with both feet and support this issue,

Diane and I know Jesse Ventura well. She was his public policy adviser in the 1998 campaign that got him elected and was his General Counsel when he was in office. Her office was two doors down from his in the State Capitol. I was the internet guy that helped get him elected and later served as his campaign committee treasurer. The two of us frequently interacted with him in a variety of contexts for four years.

When presented with an issue like this, the governor's instinctive response would be toward less regulation, not more. He may agree to more regulation if it made sense but regulating something simply because you can is not his first instinct.

The first question he would ask someone like deadhead would be, "What are YOU doing now to help solve the problem? What can you and others do before government steps in?"

He would next have his cabinet or staff review the situation and all options to get the lay of the land. He would want to know who is affected and what the impacts of any policy or law changes may be on everyone. Then he would make a decision and direct the appropriate staff or agency to make it happen.

One thing he would not do is give extra weight to any lobbyists or special interests that step into the debate. He would listen to them to gain insight into the bigger picture but he would give no special favors. Ventura did not accept campaign contributions from PACS or any other special interest during the campaign or after the election. He owed none of them any favors. One of the more entertaining parts of Diane's and my experience in these four years was seeing the befuddled expressions of surprise on lobbyist faces when they came in to write a check and were turned down.

When making his decision, he would think deeply about the people. While no decision makes everyone happy, Ventura was a people-first governor.

While he got and continues to get a ton of media attention about his entertaining behavior, a lot of good-government actions were completed in the daily grind of governance that never made the news.

Note that this illegal van issue is a fairly simple one as public policy issues go. To resolve it, there would be no need to involve other branches of government (legislature, courts). It could be done by the executive branch alone. The approach described above becomes vastly more complicated when legislation is required and when special interests have more power because they have their hooks into legislators who rely on them for money and support.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This the first time a issue like his came forth and people know what up and they don't want some Rookie (million miles) like me stir the pot.They seem to like post one liners and poke fun at each other, and yes being a good old boy. One told me I wasn't making friends, I've got a lot of friends and this issue is not about friendship it about seeking common ground.

Whether you think so or not, you are an activist. Stirring the pot is what activists do. Anytime anyone stirs the pot, the status quo is disrupted and different people react in different ways. Successful activists do not bemoan the fact that everyone is not with them or everyone does not see the logic of their position. They identify people who are with them and share their views. Then they organize these people for action.

In this issue, you are not alone. Notice that there is at least one motor carrier active in this thread and one voting citizen and former expediter who is with you. The motor carrier is part of a larger organization of motor carriers that has articulated its views on this. They have answered the question, "What can we do?" You might be wise to get familiar with this group. Consider approaching them and asking "What can individual expediters and motor carriers do together?" OVM's comment about insurance reporting as it is done in Canada is also interesting, I think. You might want to look into it a bit more.

Calling Washington at this stage is premature. If you do not have clearly-defined issue and proposed solution, all they hear is yet another citizen who is speaking out to feel better or want's government to solve his problem for him, without regard to others. If you call with a clearly-defined issue and proposed solution, the people in Washington are then given something they can think about and act on. You may still be ignored early on but it is the best way to start.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One person's correct policy is another person's over-regulation
I was speaking of insurance policy....Proper specs for this unique business.......
also I am referring to ideas the insurance providers could do to tighten up the loopholes....without the government.