WHO DO YOU LOVE?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
OK, I have had some conversation, read a lot of threads in this and other forums on this site - many were informative AND entertaining. The consensus is that as a "newbie" I should take my Cargo Van and go directly to sign up with a major player, like Panther, and let them teach me. So, can any of you suggest a couple of different companies that I can compare?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Thank you. All input is welcome. Any chance someone might help me narrow the possibilities to four or five at the most? Like: Panther, Bolt, ________, ________, or ________. Also, in looking I see some companies call out a "rate per mile" while some offer up a "percentage" of the job. Why? Is one better than the other for the O/O?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank you. All input is welcome. Any chance someone might help me narrow the possibilities to four or five at the most? Like: Panther, Bolt, ________, ________, or ________. Also, in looking I see some companies call out a "rate per mile" while some offer up a "percentage" of the job. Why? Is one better than the other for the O/O?
It's all personel preference. What works for one may not work for another.

The best thing to do, is call each company.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have selected five and plan on calling ASAP. In response to (2) questions - haven't purchased a vehicle yet. Again, researching - leaning towards the 2500 Transit high top, long wheelbase, eco-boost 6. Can't see where a 3500 carries that much extra payload to justify the added expense. It can still handle 3 skids. As to xiggi's question about experience, yes - I can drive. I presently work 7 day 60+ hour workweeks. Have taken, so far, 3 days off total. I am not a trucker but for 12 years I have managed a commercial tire (tractor trailers) fleet service company so, yes, been involved with OTR trucking. So, I think I can, I think I can.......Just keep giving me feedback. You guys (and Cherri) have offered up helpful insight. Any input on mileage vs. percentage?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Percentage any day but the two I know of that pay that way both require experience. Make your calls and see what you find out.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have selected five and plan on calling ASAP. In response to (2) questions - haven't purchased a vehicle yet. Again, researching

Bravo! That's the first sign of potential success. :cool: I can't tell you how many times people start out posting that they have a van and don't know what to do with it.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Also, in looking I see some companies call out a "rate per mile" while some offer up a "percentage" of the job. Why? Is one better than the other for the O/O?

Are they advertising an average rate per mile or actually paying per mile? I think percentage is the way to go but some like less risk and prefer the security of a flat rate.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Thank You. It's a major lifestyle change, one that I feel I will enjoy, but, romance doesn't make you money, research does! Unless, of course, you're a lizard. Here is a question that is not important: I have seen lots of posts advising about ways to stay warm in the winter. How do van drivers stay cool in the summer - can't run the truck AC all night?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . . How do van drivers stay cool in the summer - can't run the truck AC all night?

rear-view-of-painted-door-AC-unit-2.jpg

Reactions: cheri1122

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Air conditioner and generator.

Attachments

• 1428885737862.jpg
    1428885737862.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 52

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
- leaning towards the 2500 Transit high top, long wheelbase, eco-boost 6. Can't see where a 3500 carries that much extra payload to justify the added expense.
What ever van you choose I would recommend the 350/3500 (1 ton) series, as long as GVWR is under 10,000 lbs. With the Ford Transit 350 you get about 500 pounds more cargo carrying capacity. 500 pounds might not seem like much to you but when it comes to vanning, having that extra capacity is essential. Especially when adding creature comforts.

A rough weight estimate I use for a comfortably equipped van is 1000 pounds. That would include driver, fuel, flooring, E-track, straps, auxiliary batteries, insulation, bed, powered roof vent, bed, clothing, food etc. A little here, a little there, it adds up.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
What ever van you choose I would recommend the 350/3500 (1 ton) series, as long as GVWR is under 10,000 lbs. With the Ford Transit 350 you get about 500 pounds more cargo carrying capacity. 500 pounds might not seem like much to you but when it comes to vanning, having that extra capacity is essential. Especially when adding creature comforts.

A rough weight estimate I use for a comfortably equipped van is 1000 pounds. That would include driver, fuel, flooring, E-track, straps, auxiliary batteries, insulation, bed, powered roof vent, bed, clothing, food etc. A little here, a little there, it adds up.

Valid points Moot. I guess that makes it a moot point!!! If I go to the 350 I would consider the "extra long" for added living space, still under 10K, but, would that extra length add CURB weight and negate the added load carrying? Any 3500 owners out there?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just did my DOT physical, what a pain, but I passed. One step closer to the road. Again, thanks for the advice. An opinion or two here would be great.......Talking to a couple carriers, 60% of the load + 100% of the FSC, or a mileage rate WITH the FSC approx. $1.10 (variable of course). What do the veterans think would be better for a rookie, or the same either way?