Phones Bluetooth

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Never considered myself a trucker, just a driver, but after 7 yrs I figured I'd get some headphones that were MADE for truckers. I wanted duals so I could listen to music. I got the Blue Tiger Elites and IT WAS THE WORST PURCHASE I HAVE EVER MADE! Not all that comfortable and the sound isn't all that great, but the main problem is NOBODY CAN HEAR ME! I have an iPhone and Siri can't hear me. I've played back recorded messages and I can't hear them so I know this mic is not working right. The Blue Tiger guy even told me he can't hear me, so he sent a new pair... Same **** problem. I'll just go back to non trucker specific headphones. Background noise is better than no sound at all!
The chances of two different mics both being bad is pretty slim, especially since those headsets aren't known for having bad mics. You've either the mic too close, or more likely, too far away from your mouth. With noise cancelling mics just half an inch one way or the other can be the difference between clear as a bell and noise-cancelled out of existence. You want it so that you can just stick your finger between the foam of the mic and the corner of your mouth at your cheek. Take your finger and lay it on the corner of your mouth and point your finger at your ear. The foam should just touch your finger.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yup thumbs up for Blue Parrot B250XT, it's what all the fashion conscious truckers wear :p

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Ok, this may sound dumb, but I've found that now and then the gooseneck mic turns around facing the wrong way! Take the windscreen off and read where it says talk, if it's facing away from your mouth it's backwards. Sometime stupid things happen!
It's hard to see, I put white marker on the correct side to help see it. Old age eyes suck ya know.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This won't help with the microphone, but when some things are hard to see, [and the inside of a vehicle at night is a truly low light environment], if you can make it tactile, [like Braille], it helps. I had trouble locating the 'select this' bar on my laptop, [ever notice it's off center, for right handed people?], and got tired of having to look for/at it all the time. I put some raised dots [dribs of paint, that form a cone, sort of] on a piece of tape, and placed it on the bar - now my fingers can find it easily.
Glow in the dark paint helps, too - I put some on the ashtray I can't see at night, and it works great, lol. :D

TruckTurner65

Rookie Expediter
The chances of two different mics both being bad is pretty slim, especially since those headsets aren't known for having bad mics. You've either the mic too close, or more likely, too far away from your mouth. With noise cancelling mics just half an inch one way or the other can be the difference between clear as a bell and noise-cancelled out of existence. You want it so that you can just stick your finger between the foam of the mic and the corner of your mouth at your cheek. Take your finger and lay it on the corner of your mouth and point your finger at your ear. The foam should just touch your finger.
I would gladly chock it up to user error, but I refuse to believe everyone is measuring mic placement! And if I have to jump through hoops and hold my mouth a certain way just to talk on the phone, I'll do without it! I can talk one minute and nobody can hear me, but if I talk long enough usually it'll come in clearly, WITHOUT ME CHANGING ANYTHING! I don't touch the boom. I don't yell. It just starts working. It is unacceptable that I have to do a sound check everytime I use the phone-- what if I have to leave an important message on an answering machine? I have absolutely no idea and zero confidence that it was recorded, unless I can play it back!!

TruckTurner65

Rookie Expediter
Oh yeah, and I can't measure from the foam on the mic because after a day you look up and the foam is gone. Happened on both headsets. SMH!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh yeah, and I can't measure from the foam on the mic because after a day you look up and the foam is gone. Happened on both headsets. SMH!
Clearly, that particular brand, make, and model of headset is not for you. Over the years I went through probably 20 different Bluetooth headsets, from Motorolas or Jawbones to Plantronics, before I found the Blue Parrot. The foam covering the mic on the Blue Parrot is actually rather difficult to remove and replace, and it definitely won't come off on its own, so if you get a Blue Parrot your mind can at least rest easy on that issue.

TruckTurner65

Rookie Expediter
Clearly, that particular brand, make, and model of headset is not for you. Over the years I went through probably 20 different Bluetooth headsets, from Motorolas or Jawbones to Plantronics, before I found the Blue Parrot. The foam covering the mic on the Blue Parrot is actually rather difficult to remove and replace, and it definitely won't come off on its own, so if you get a Blue Parrot your mind can at least rest easy on that issue.
I think you are right (not for me), but if I want duals my choices are extremely limited! I think I'll go back to being illegal or using HEADPHONES.
Your suggestion to move mic closer did help some, I think-- I recorded a message and played it back. The first 2 words were kind of quiet but after that much louder than in the past. Funny Blue Tiger never mentioned that. They said "Yeah, I can't hear you. You've got some sort of delay issue. It might even be a software compatibility issue with your phone"

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think you are right (not for me), but if I want duals my choices are extremely limited! I think I'll go back to being illegal or using HEADPHONES.
You should probably be aware that in some states it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears.

It's legal in Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee, for example, but illegal in Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York.

infograpgic_final_2_zpsbc934f20.jpg

Green it's legal, red and gray it's not. The Red "Mostly Illegal" is that it's legal when the headphones are built into the motorcycle helmet, otherwise it's illegal.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's illegal to cover both ears, and bluetooth headsets only cover one.
When listening to audiobooks through earbuds, I can hear just fine with only one in.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When listening to audiobooks through earbuds, I can hear just fine with only one in.
The Blue Tiger Elite Bluetooth headset (that we're talking about with the bad mic and the foam problem) covers both ears. There are several stereo Bluetooth headsets for use with telephones.

I have a Nokia BH-905 Bluetooth Headset that has killer noise canceling (for listening only), and dual microphones for voice calls (but no noise cancelling for voice, so it's worthless for that). They're great for watching movies and listening to music, or even just driving down the road with the noise canceling activated to be in dead silence. But, they really aren't made for the road, they're more for in-home or airline travel. The earpads don't get along very well with heat and sweat, and the glue started failing. I repaired those and keep them at the house.

I also have in the truck a pair of JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones that are earbuds that go in each ear and wrap around the back of your head, and have a microphone for voice calls. They aren't noise canceling for voice, so while driving they're worthless, but sitting still they work great. But for listening to music and watching TV or movies on the computer, they're awesome. Especially if you use the noise isolating eartips from Comply. They're the Sport version so they're guaranteed sweat-proof. These are some serious audiophile earbuds.

So there are lots of options with stereo Bluetooth headphones that cover both ears. But for trucking, you really want one that delivers excellent voice noise canceling, regardless of how many ears are covered.

Not Bluetooth, but for information only. I also have two other pair of earbuds in the truck that are wired. One is the Klipsch R6m Ear-Headphone which are excellent earbuds.

The other is the Bose Quiet Comfort 20 Noise Canceling Earbuds. Suffice it to say the Bose are a few levels above serious. But I could be parked next to an idling truck with a screaming reefer and I don't hear a thing.

Full disclosure. I did not spend $300 on the Bose headphones. I got those with my Load One Gold Reward Points. :)

TruckTurner65

Rookie Expediter
According to AAA, in the state of Florida the law reads "Wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing, is not permitted while driving.

TruckTurner65

Rookie Expediter
I have Nokia 905s and love them to death, but as you say, the noise canceling isn't for the people you talk to. People always complained about noise from the truck. I used them anyway because I really do love them. I lost the wire that you use when batteries are down (nice touch) and Nokia quit selling them. If there was hybrid between these and trucker headsets I'd be in heaven. I think I'll invent some!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
According to AAA, in the state of Florida the law reads "Wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing, is not permitted while driving.
Chapter 316 Section 304 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

316.304 Wearing of headsets.—
(1) No person shall operate a vehicle while wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.
(2) This section does not apply to:
(d) Any person using a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear.​

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The Blue Tiger Elite Bluetooth headset (that we're talking about with the bad mic and the foam problem) covers both ears. There are several stereo Bluetooth headsets for use with telephones.

Of course there are headsets with both ears covered - not everyone who uses them is driving. But for those who are driving, one ear free is the rule, and just common sense.

PS Thanks for the mention of the Bose Earbuds, I've got some Gold Reward points to play with too. :eek:

TruckTurner65

Rookie Expediter
This is why you can't trust the Internet- misinformation and incomplete information, even from a source you might trust like AAA.
Anyhoo, to update, I was almost ready to accept these Blue Tiger Elites with the closer mic placement, until my dispatcher told me this morning he could hardly hear me. It's an intermittent problem that I obviously don't know how to control, so they get a thumbs down from me. Ymmv!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Back when I got the Nokia headphones is when I first looked into all this in depth. I was actually very surprised at how many states don't disallow the headphones covering (or in) both ears. I figured none of them would allow it because A) it's something I wanted to do, and B), it makes sense not to intentionally cut yourself off from honking horns and sirens. That's when I discovered the 18 states on the map that don't allow it. And just to be sure, I went to every one of those state's actual statues and read what it said. I also looked at the laws at the other Midwest states that I frequent, just to be sure.

Florida, incidentally, at the time I originally looked it up, did not have the motorcycle helmet exemption that is now has. That may be why AAA has it wrong (incomplete, rather). But generally speaking, I tend to go and read a state's actual law rather than summaries from a third party Web site.

When I had the Nokias in the truck it was kinda nice driving down the road with the noise canceling activated, even when I wasn't listening to music or anything. But I never did that in heavy traffic, only out on the rural Interstates. I didn't want to not be able to hear the sirens or any horn, just in case.