truck size question

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
She didn't say she had a liftgate.
WG trucks require a liftgate.

Did I miss where she said it was a w/g truck ?

Our truck is 40' 6" but that is to the end of the bump stops !!!!!

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
She did not say she was WG.
Just hunches on my part as Surface Contractors usually don't spend that kind of coin on a truck.
Heck, she didn't even say she was still at FedEx ..

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
It would be nice if the measurements were to the end of the bump stops. No problem then. If not then someone made a costly mistake !!!!

Lisa2162

Active Expediter
Cutting the deck plate is about I you can do. I wouldn't cut the box. If that can't be made to work, I think I would pass. Unfortunate situation but have to agree with the others, you are on the hook if sign on the dotted line on truck that isn't legal.
Remember, business person first, driver second.

Yes, you're right. The reason my husband wanted to measure the truck, was because the dealer was trying so hard to get us to sign the papers. He got the feeling that something was really wrong.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Gut feelings are an alarm bell.

*"He got the feeling that something was really wrong." Is what you said. Always go with your gut feeling.

Anyhow, why buy something new if you have to modify it?

Lisa2162

Active Expediter
hi guys
to answer some of the questions, the truck is a Fedex TVAL spec truck, and the measurement is from the front bumper to the end of the box. If you add the dock bumpers then we would be about 40'10".
Jamin_joe, that's the way we feel and that's why at this time we are walking away from the truck. This was the second problem, the first one was the front axle is over the 12,000lbs limit.
The solution for that was to install a tag axle for an additional 10k. The interior came out really beautiful but it does not make up for all the other problems.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yes, you're right. The reason my husband wanted to measure the truck, was because the dealer was trying so hard to get us to sign the papers. He got the feeling that something was really wrong.

And sadly, my gut feeling is this will be sold to someone else.

Lisa2162

Active Expediter
And sadly, my gut feeling is this will be sold to someone else.
No doubt about it, he's been trying to change our minds for two weeks. He told us this morning that all DR trucks produced by him and his competitor are over 40' in length. We are young but not born yesterday :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like it's going to have to have one foot removed from the cargo box. It's a big deal as far as cutting the capacity length of the box. It's no big deal as far as shortening the box. When I was dealing with Supreme they said for an odd length like 19' they'd make 20' and remove a foot. There are so many trucks too heavy on the steers. Why don't they just make the wheelbase about a foot shorter? That would also improve the turning radius.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
No doubt about it, he's been trying to change our minds for two weeks. He told us this morning that all DR trucks produced by him and his competitor are over 40' in length. :)

That comment may in fact be truthful.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I really hope the dealer really never gave you the impression that this would fly as a D.
Of course, I may be out of touch. My first FedEx truck was called a C for about 45 minutes.
I got it rebranded a D. I had the ability to carry my pallet jack under the body and the 24 pads in my second sleeper. (Truck had 2 sleepers.) I had to prove I could load 20' of cargo..
Also, back then a D had to carry 13,000 #.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Few people probably order a 40' truck. They order a truck with a xx, or xxx, sleeper.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone ever have a carrier measure a truck OAL ?

They are going to start measuring those warm butts.....

My wife's DOT Physical, done today, included measuring two portions of her legs,two portions of her arms,and her neck.
Also calculated her BMI.

Hopefully the Dr just wanted to spend more time with her.
Sorry,so off topic.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think they may have left that part out in the beginning or they would have the current problem.
It is true they want someone in the seat but with a TVAL truck I don't think they want a load shut down at a scale. And yes, carriers do measure.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I went to great lengths and inconvenience to get to dead on 40' with this Volvo. Never been measured.
FedEx did measure the inside of my first D unit. I think they've loosened up lately.
Oregon actually had a guy cut part of extensions off a truck hauling trailer. Had man come and torch off the metal.

All it takes is one irritated scale master to spoil your week.