2004 Sprinter Limp Mode

seekerman

Expert Expediter
I'd get back to basics:
1. You were running and had boost.
2. You ate an idler pulley and it took out the belt.
3. Someone replaced the idler pulley and put on a fresh belt.
4. You now do not have boost.

If me, I'd check:
- A "flying" serpentine belt can hit stuff (wiring)- check wiring and harnesses in front of engine.
- A fair amount of "stuff" ( has to come off to change an idler pulley; someone did and did not
tighten/ reconnect stuff- check top boost hose clamps, electrical plug connectors below top boost hose, etc.

It's still light out- have a peek... Good luck. I'll bet it's something simple.

I agree with you 100%. It worked when I went into the shop and didn't when I came out. Its interesting, no flying belt this time. Last time I ate a pulley, the belt came off so hard it pulled the dipstick out of the tube, twisted it like a twizzler, and rolled it into a ball. It also destroyed the turbocharger shield and the belt was in shreds wrapped around the fan. This time the pulley just fell off and the belt was just lying there intact. I checked everything you suggested along with holes in the big hose above the radiator. Everything seems fine. But it has to be something those guys did or didn't do. I'm such a trusting guy by nature that I have become distrustful. I've been burnt like we all have and I don't like it. I'm trying to arm myself with information so that if or when I encounter someone who wants to do a heart transplant when it's just heartburn I can do some transplanting of my own. Thanks for validating what I already believe. But it's just too dang cold for me to be crawling around under the vehicle so I'm gonna follow turtle's advice and head over the the MB dealership in the morning. It pains me mightily to do so, but I'm just gonna suck it up and get on down the road.

seekerman

Expert Expediter
If the Valparaiso Dodge dealer is one that's very experienced in Sprinters, they're probably fine. But if they, too want to replace the resonator "and see what happens" because they don't know for sure where the leak is coming from, then my recommendation would be to hobble on over to Gurley-Leep Motor Werks in Mishawaka (South Bend) (or World Wide Motors down in Indy). There are some really good Sprinter mechanics out there at Dodge dealers, but all too often you'll find them to be little more than parts changers. The guys at the MB dealerships truly know how to diagnose these vehicles. You'll pay through the nose, but not really more per hour than at a Dodge dealer, and you tend to get what you pay for at a MB dealer.

Unless you use OEM parts from the dealer. Then you'll REALLY pay through the nose. :D

I hate to bother you any more with this, but it just occurred to me that you may have l kindly looked up the closest MB dealerships for me. Do you have personal experience with Gurley-Leep Motor Werks, cause that's where I'm headed in the morning.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I hate to bother you any more with this, but it just occurred to me that you may have l kindly looked up the closest MB dealerships for me. Do you have personal experience with Gurley-Leep Motor Werks, cause that's where I'm headed in the morning.

Not me personally, but I do know someone who has been to Gurley. They recommended them.

seekerman

Expert Expediter
So I was in Michigan City this morning, temperature 1 degree.......started up the van to head to Gurley-Leep Motor Werks in South Bend and NO limp mode. Drove the 40 miles to South Bend; vehicle ran like new. Even stopped once and restarted to see if limp mode would reoccur. No limp mode; ran fine. Went into the dealer and talked to them to ask whether or not a scan would show the history, thinking that a recent code would show up explaining why the van went into limp. Tech said it may or may not show up. I'm debating now whether or not to let them do a scan and visual inspection at $125.95+. Was something just frozen up, I wonder? I let the van idle for about an hour to warm up before starting out, but I had been doing that all weekend. I'm leaning toward the scan in case something is half plugged in or what not, but I sure hate to spend the money when it's rolling good now. A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I was in Michigan City this morning, temperature 1 degree.......started up the van to head to Gurley-Leep Motor Werks in South Bend and NO limp mode. Drove the 40 miles to South Bend; vehicle ran like new. Even stopped once and restarted to see if limp mode would reoccur. No limp mode; ran fine. Went into the dealer and talked to them to ask whether or not a scan would show the history, thinking that a recent code would show up explaining why the van went into limp. Tech said it may or may not show up. I'm debating now whether or not to let them do a scan and visual inspection at $125.95+. Was something just frozen up, I wonder? I let the van idle for about an hour to warm up before starting out, but I had been doing that all weekend. I'm leaning toward the scan in case something is half plugged in or what not, but I sure hate to spend the money when it's rolling good now. A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

did you do the FREE Auto Zone scan on the way down there?....they can print out the results to give the tech....

seekerman

Expert Expediter
did you do the FREE Auto Zone scan on the way down there?....they can print out the results to give the tech....

I didn't. But I'll head over to Autozone to get it done now. Dealer said they couldn't get me in until 1:00 anyway. The reason I hesitated to go to Autozone is my understanding is that their scan would be limited and that I would need a DBRIII scan from a dealer to get a true, deep scan in attempts to locate the problem. This scan business, like so much else, is confusing. My pea brain is such that if I don't know the whole story about how something works I don't understand any of it. It's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle with pieces missing. But, with help, occasionally the sun breaks through the clouds. I iwill continue to plod.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Do Sprinters employ the OBD 2 system? If so, you might consider a $50 code scanner from AutoZone. Cheap investment that will probably pay for itself quickly if you turn ANY wrenches yourself.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't. But I'll head over to Autozone to get it done now. Dealer said they couldn't get me in until 1:00 anyway. The reason I hesitated to go to Autozone is my understanding is that their scan would be limited and that I would need a DBRIII scan from a dealer to get a true, deep scan in attempts to locate the problem. This scan business, like so much else, is confusing. My pea brain is such that if I don't know the whole story about how something works I don't understand any of it. It's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle with pieces missing. But, with help, occasionally the sun breaks through the clouds. I iwill continue to plod.

yeah I know....there is a cheap surface scan and then the deeper scan....but I have found the FREE scan usually gives the tech a general idea....

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, having a code only is only having about 10-15% of the info in some cases. Like the dreaded GM code that say your emission system is malfunctioning. That's about as useless a piece of info as possible.
But a bad O2 sensor code is usually a money-saving piece of info. Buy the sensor, borrow the socket, change the sensor, clear the code & drive it. 9 out of 10 times that's all it takes with O2 sensors.

seekerman

Expert Expediter
yeah I know....there is a cheap surface scan and then the deeper scan....but I have found the FREE scan usually gives the tech a general idea....[/QUOTE

Hmm. Went to Autozone. They said the only time they will scan is if the check engine light is on or if there is a battery problem. I think they didn't want to go out in the cold. Went across the street to Advanced Auto. Their OBDII couldn't communicate with the vehicle. Said the reason may be a short in the ECM or maybe a bad ground. So the decision has been made...I'm gonna have the dealer do the scan. By the by, I was recently told that I have a bad motor mount(s). I wonder if the movement of the engine is causing the problem, i.e, breaking connections or whatever.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
sometimes a run into the ole computer can never hurt.....there are codes that can be thrown that don't even light up....it can be the best $125 investment you could make....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Autozone scan is mainly limited to engine light codes. You need the DRBIII tool with the Sprinter module, or a DAD (Doktor A Diagnostic tool) to read the codes that are in there but haven't tripped the engine light.

I'd get that motor mount fixed as soon as practical. It's not an emergency ASAP kind of thing, but I wouldn't drive it for months and months like that. Excessive vibration can cause belts to snap, metal to bend, seals to crack, wires could stretch and break, and nuts and bolts could vibrate loose. Damaged parts could lead to problems with surrounding and interdependent components, as well as a host of costly and time-consuming repairs. Depending on how long the mount has been broken, it probably isn't the cause of the LHM, tho. I still think that's a pressure leak or a sensor.

The scan will indeed show the history of any LHM, but it won't necessarily tell the technician why, unless there are other accompanying codes, like an EGR code or some sensor. The code for LHM is notoriously the popular well-duh! moment of "Boost Pressure Low," as if you didn't know that already.

If you haven't had a scan done for a while, then it's a good idea to get one done, even if it ends up showing nothing.

seekerman

Expert Expediter
sometimes a run into the ole computer can never hurt.....there are codes that can be thrown that don't even light up....it can be the best $125 investment you could make....

Well....I didn't have the scan done at the MB dealership in South Bend. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money I expect a little courtesy. Guess I'm just sensitive in my old age. Went back to Chicago to some folks I've been dealing with for 3 years....Euro Star Motors on 87th street. Good folks, and just $75.00 for the scan and some turkish coffee. No codes showed, except for an old one that indicated the speed sensor in the conductor plate under the transmission was not reading properly. Van still working good now though. My guy said that I should fix it, or at some point, if it goes into limp it may not come back out. I've also got 3 glow plugs out, but they were out when I bought the van 260,000 miles ago. He suggested in cold weather that I put a gallon of premium gas into the tank when I fill up. Said it helps the vehicle to start easier in the cold. Lets hope I roll trouble free until it gets warmer. Thanks to all for sticking with me during this travail.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well....I didn't have the scan done at the MB dealership in South Bend. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money I expect a little courtesy. Guess I'm just sensitive in my old age. Went back to Chicago to some folks I've been dealing with for 3 years....Euro Star Motors on 87th street. Good folks, and just $75.00 for the scan and some turkish coffee. No codes showed, except for an old one that indicated the speed sensor in the conductor plate under the transmission was not reading properly. Van still working good now though. My guy said that I should fix it, or at some point, if it goes into limp it may not come back out. I've also got 3 glow plugs out, but they were out when I bought the van 260,000 miles ago. He suggested in cold weather that I put a gallon of premium gas into the tank when I fill up. Said it helps the vehicle to start easier in the cold. Lets hope I roll trouble free until it gets warmer. Thanks to all for sticking with me during this travail.

Glow plugs?....premium gas?.......

seekerman

Expert Expediter
The Autozone scan is mainly limited to engine light codes. You need the DRBIII tool with the Sprinter module, or a DAD (Doktor A Diagnostic tool) to read the codes that are in there but haven't tripped the engine light.

I'd get that motor mount fixed as soon as practical. It's not an emergency ASAP kind of thing, but I wouldn't drive it for months and months like that. Excessive vibration can cause belts to snap, metal to bend, seals to crack, wires could stretch and break, and nuts and bolts could vibrate loose. Damaged parts could lead to problems with surrounding and interdependent components, as well as a host of costly and time-consuming repairs. Depending on how long the mount has been broken, it probably isn't the cause of the LHM, tho. I still think that's a pressure leak or a sensor.

The scan will indeed show the history of any LHM, but it won't necessarily tell the technician why, unless there are other accompanying codes, like an EGR code or some sensor. The code for LHM is notoriously the popular well-duh! moment of "Boost Pressure Low," as if you didn't know that already.

If you haven't had a scan done for a while, then it's a good idea to get one done, even if it ends up showing nothing.

Is the motor mount a big deal to fix? And how would I know which one to fix?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol. I guess what he was saying that if you're not gonna replace the glow plugs then put some premium gas in the tank before you fuel to help start the engine in cold weather.

you have a diesel?.....did you mean premium diesel? not the cheap Pilot 40 cetane but the 50 cetane?...

seekerman

Expert Expediter
you have a diesel?.....did you mean premium diesel? not the cheap Pilot 40 cetane but the 50 cetane?...

Yes. It's the 2004 Freightliner with the 2.7. No, he was actually recommending that I put gas into the diesel tank to make the diesel burn hotter. Of, course, making sure that the diesel goes on top of the gas and not vice versa. I guess it's the old time equivalent of putting a higher cetane diesel in. Seems like I read somewhere that that's what the old time truckers do or did.