onan question

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have always used my truck block heater to warm my engine block/water for about two hours before starting my truck. With the harsh winter we are experiencing this winter, I am considering having my Onan generator cooling system tied into my truck engine water system, with a thermostat to control flow. I just find that after driving in the freezing air, the generator has to endure a very cold start. I would then just run the generator while not moving. That will also enable me to run an electric ceramic heater instead of the Espar heater to save some fuel, or would the rpm increase use more fuel than the Espar. Any input or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I don't see a ceramic heater keeping you anywhere as comfortable as the espar.
If you need to save the fuel that the espar burns, slow down 1mph.

I wouldn't tie the coolant systems together. Increases the potential for leaks.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I wouldn't tie the coolant systems together. Increases the potential for leaks.

I have a proheat apu that is tied into the coolant system and wouldn't want it any other way. Keeps the truck engine nice and warm so never a cold start. A couple of cut off values will solve a leak problem.

sent from my Galaxy S3

zorry

Veteran Expediter
His blockheater, switched from in the cab, will keep the engine warm, similar to the proheat.
Also good for the Onan as it works it harder, allowing it to get to temp sooner.

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the input. I also think it will be better to tie in. I keep a close eye on my hoses as I twice before had to fix leaks next to the road with serious blow outs. Five gallons of water and a couple of burn marks and I made it to my deliveries on time. I do have shut off valves and can use the hoses that run to and from my bunk heater.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I USED to have a Proheat that was tied into the main engine cooling system. It leaked, a lot, and it was a constant battle to keep up with it. I also REALLY liked the mess, and extra expense of it, when the head gasket on the Proheat went and oil got into the coolant. WHAT FUN!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That will also enable me to run an electric ceramic heater instead of the Espar heater to save some fuel, or would the rpm increase use more fuel than the Espar.
The RPM increase would indeed use more fuel than the Espar. By a lot. With an Onan and a ceramic heater, you've got three energy conversions going on (fuel-->mechanical-->electrical-->heat), whereas with the Espar there's just the one conversion (fuel-->heat).

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I USED to have a Proheat that was tied into the main engine cooling system. It leaked, a lot, and it was a constant battle to keep up with it. I also REALLY liked the mess, and extra expense of it, when the head gasket on the Proheat went and oil got into the coolant. WHAT FUN!
mechanic-smiley-emoticon.gif