34 hour layover

dwd58

Active Expediter
I am a local class b driver who is thinking about getting into expediting. No team, solo only. Just wondering what the heck you guys do to try and make it back home for your 34 hour re-set, and if not, what you do when you find your self in the middle of now where and have to do a 34 re-set ?

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I am a local class b driver who is thinking about getting into expediting. No team, solo only. Just wondering what the heck you guys do to try and make it back home for your 34 hour re-set, and if not, what you do when you find your self in the middle of now where and have to do a 34 re-set ?

An expediter rarely makes it home period. Most stay out three to six weeks,some only go home when a load gets them within 200 miles of home. As far as what to do,pretty much the same as at home,watch TV,shop,read a book,go out and eat, go to a movie,the road is home almost as much as home. Some get home more often but not many. You pretty much have to follow the freight to stay in business.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
A class A or B driver living within the "expediter's area of operations" ought to be able to get home at least weekly if not more. Of course driving for someone else getting home weekly is probably about as good as it gets. Just depends on if OP lives in an area near where a possible expedite company has a lot of inbound and/or outbound freight. Even that would be no guarantee though as most companies take a dim view on drivers going home. Would make sure to seek out companies that get drivers home at least weekly with freight and/or busy lanes around the home 20.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
A class A or B driver living within the "expediter's area of operations" ought to be able to get home at least weekly if not more. Of course driving for someone else getting home weekly is probably about as good as it gets. Just depends on if OP lives in an area near where a possible expedite company has a lot of inbound and/or outbound freight. Even that would be no guarantee though as most companies take a dim view on drivers going home. Would make sure to seek out companies that get drivers home at least weekly with freight and/or busy lanes around the home 20.
Oh yea,I have taken a load from home and the next load take me very near back home,but in Expediting that is very rare. If you want to pick the direction your gonna run in you might just find moss growing on your truck,in order to make money you mind has to be on running and not home. I have never heard of an Expediting Carrier that claims to get there trucks home weekly. As a single driver in Expediting your best friend and your worst enemy is the weekend. Friday you hope to get a team run that delivers Monday and make some real cash,best friend. I don't think I have to mention the enemy part. My point is in expediting nothing is planned once you offload you never know where that next load will take you,if getting home is on your mind you need a local job.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
To be honest, there are days that drag on forever because you're in a confined space and you have nothing to do.

Nothing to do?! I don't think I've ever said that, in almost 10 years on the road. There's truck maintenance, housekeeping, laundry, shopping, reading, paperwork, cool websites like Buzzfeed & Cracked, local sites to see, [esp in a van!] - how can you possibly have nothing to do?! Get some blank CDs, make some great road music!
Go to a bookstore and find "10,000 Places To See In America Before You Die". It has things you'd never find on your own, cool little hole in the wall restaurants, goofy festivals, and interesting stuff all over the lower 48 states. [With addresses, phone numbers, and prices if it's not free]
If you can't keep yourself amused [after the work's done, of course] in the downtime, you won't like being out here very much. If you have to be on the road, might as well make it inneresting!

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I live right off I75 so I pretty can make it anytime I want with in reason. Except the last few weeks I've gone from PA to TX and now headed back to PA

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter

I never have to do a 34 restart. Thats more than I want to work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Nothing to do?! I don't think I've ever said that, in almost 10 years on the road. There's truck maintenance, housekeeping, laundry, shopping, reading, paperwork, cool websites like Buzzfeed & Cracked, local sites to see, [esp in a van!] - how can you possibly have nothing to do?! Get some blank CDs, make some great road music!
Go to a bookstore and find "10,000 Places To See In America Before You Die". It has things you'd never find on your own, cool little hole in the wall restaurants, goofy festivals, and interesting stuff all over the lower 48 states. [With addresses, phone numbers, and prices if it's not free]
If you can't keep yourself amused [after the work's done, of course] in the downtime, you won't like being out here very much. If you have to be on the road, might as well make it inneresting!

Your so right, always something to do around a truck. And then some days I ignore all of them and just lay in the bunk till the call comes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Keep in mind that the regs do not allow for working on the truck during a 34 hour reset.
That's where the right to remain silent comes in handy. Isn't it ironic you can't change your oil or a light bulb,but you could go for a five mile jog!

Last edited:

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Keep in mind that the regs do not allow for working on the truck during a 34 hour reset.

True. And they don't allow you to do paperwork or make business related phone calls. It's probably against the rules for you to think about what you might do to improve your business.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We do all kinds of things during ours. Well go grocery shopping before hand, I will spend a day cooking and vacuum sealing our food for the next week or two. Nick sits at the table and works on model cars and trucks, I sit on the floor doing scrapbooks, making beaded jewelry, and other crafty things. We watch movies together, read books, find an article to read about something weve always wanted to know about, and read the weird and crazy news stories. Go visit local sites, and try new things. I bought the book 101 things to do before you die, and you fill in your experiences. We have a goal to try 101 different foods that we never have before, we do yoga in the sleeper, and stretch and basic little workouts. There is plenty to do while you are out here.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2