making the decision to go for it

J4ster

Rookie Expediter
Hello Ladies! I've just started reading the messages so I'm not sure if this has been discussed recently. My husband and I are at a crossroads of whether to jump into expediting or not. My husband has a CDL A but is unemployed and I've got a well paying j.o.b. that I hate. This has always been a dream of his, so right now I'm half-way thru getting my CDL B. But after talking more about it today we are starting to worry about how the income will work. We would be leaving the only security that we have with not much to fall back on. So my questions are, can you jump into this without any money and what kind of money can a team make? I appreciate any insight you can give!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome!
Your first question is easy to answer: of course you can jump into this without any money - people have done it many times. Of course, the first time the truck is down for repair for a couple days, leaving you with extra expenses [ even if it's just motel bills] and no income, you'll know why it's not a good idea. If you have no resources to fall back on, the speed bumps that are inevitable will derail you. Guaranteed.
It's much better to spend some time researching [and I highly recommend ATeam's blog about starting out with zero experience] and saving money to get you through the tough [or just slow] times that aren't a matter of 'if', but 'when'. The standard advice to drive for a fleet owner for a year or so is very good for people in your position: you don't yet know if you can live the expediting life, and it would be beyond crazy to risk everything to buy a truck and find out you hate it. Or each other - living & working together 24/7 in the confines of a truck have done it to more than a few partnerships - it takes real commitment and a great relationship to make it work.
The second question is just impossible, as it varies too much according to opportunities, work ethic, personal spending habits - a good team [committed and savvy, like ATeam & TeamCaffee, to name a couple] can make quite a lot of bank, but they are not the average, ok? If it's your goal and you work hard & smart to make it happen, you can too, but out of the gate it's not quite so rosy. Once you have identified a few carriers you are interested in, you can ask recruiters for some real world numbers on team income, and if I were in your shoes, I'd ask some EO teams [via private msg] whether those numbers are realistic.
If that all sounds like a warning, I have to add that teams are in great demand, and if you want to make good money, it absolutely can be done, and why not you?
:D

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
All good sound advice. Maybe your hubby could test the waters by himself if you don't mind spending time apart he could sign on as a co-driver with some one else,but no don't quit that job right off.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My husband has a CDL A but is unemployed and I've got a well paying j.o.b. that I hate.
Why is your husband unemployed? Is it by choice? I know where you are coming from about the well paying job that you hate. I had one of those and that is why I'm in expediting. Now I have a low paying job that I love. In my case I have a wife with a high paying job who at one time loved it and has since downgraded it to tolerable. The countdown to retirement has begun for her.

This has always been a dream of his, so right now I'm half-way thru getting my CDL B. But after talking more about it today we are starting to worry about how the income will work. We would be leaving the only security that we have with not much to fall back on. So my questions are, can you jump into this without any money and what kind of money can a team make? I appreciate any insight you can give!
I commend you for sharing your dreams. It is difficult for us to offer advice without some more personal information as; do you have children, do you own a house, your ages, do you have debts, and are you Muslim or have you ever been a Muslim?

As was mentioned, sure you can jump into this without any money, but even as drivers for a fleet owner, the failure rate is high. My advice, coming from a moron van owner, keep your dreaded job for a few more years, insist hubby get a job, preferably driving, to keep his resume and experience current, save some money and then go the driver for fleet owner route to test the waters.

witchywoman07

Seasoned Expediter
You're getting some good advice here. I would never recommend to any newbie jumping in and buying their own truck without experience so that leaves you to driving for someone else. Getting your class B narrows you down to expediting pretty much. If your personal overhead is low (no huge mortgage, kids college debt, etc. ) then it can be done. If you have no savings and a lot of debt I personally wouldn't consider the switch until you felt a little more secure in the financial sense. We started this nearly 18 years ago flat butt broke. Drove our brains out for other people for 10 years and took the leap to our own truck almost 8 years ago. Committed to working hard and now have a fleet of trucks of our own. This isn't a job it IS a lifestyle like no other and the rewards are great but so are the sacrifices. Read the forum a lot and you will the get the big picture. I wish you the best in whatever your choice is. ;)

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
I commend you for sharing your dreams. It is difficult for us to offer advice without some more personal information as; do you have children, do you own a house, your ages, do you have debts, and are you Muslim or have you ever been a Muslim?

As was mentioned, sure you can jump into this without any money, but even as drivers for a fleet owner, the failure rate is high. My advice, coming from a moron van owner, keep your dreaded job for a few more years, insist hubby get a job, preferably driving, to keep his resume and experience current, save some money and then go the driver for fleet owner route to test the waters.

what does them being Muslim have to do with anything?

and IMO your husband shouldn't have to keep driving just to "keep his resume and experience current." Trucking companies don't care about that, and they certainly don't ask for your résumé. If he has at least a few years otr experience, takes a break and wants to get back into it, they aren't going to look down on him for it. Trucking companies understand that people get hired on and quit all the time. It's just part of the industry.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
what does them being Muslim have to do with anything?
...are you Muslim or have you ever been a Muslim? That line was an aside to someone's post in the Soapbox from well over a month ago.For those who read that line and the particular Soapbox post at the same time and could make the connection, they may have enjoyed the acerbic sarcasm.

and IMO your husband shouldn't have to keep driving just to "keep his resume and experience current." Trucking companies don't care about that, and they certainly don't ask for your résumé.
Check out some want ads. Many carriers require "6 months recent verifiable experience."

If he has at least a few years otr experience, takes a break and wants to get back into it, they aren't going to look down on him for it.
It depends on how long the break is and what the definition of "recent" is.

Trucking companies understand that people get hired on and quit all the time. It's just part of the industry.
True, but it is the insurance companies that set some of the hiring policies.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
From her post I didn't see they were talking about buying a truck just jumping into expediting.
The one that said maybe Hubby should team up and learn the ropes sounds like a very good idea.

Once he gets on the learning curve and driving for an owner it would be much easier on you both when you join him and start your life as gypsies on the road, or well paid tourist as some like to call it.

Just remember the more things you have on your CDL Hazmat tanker endorsement(tanker because bulk liquids require it now even in a straight truck) the better off you are also the truck you'll be driving is very important. A nice reefer truck with a liftgate will keep you busy.

If you both are serious and have good work ethics the money is very good out here.
Wish you luck and see you out on the road.