FEDEX CC White Glove D unit.

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, I am interested in investing in the Fedex CC white glove division as a non-driving owner operator. I am a multiple route contractor in Fedex Ground P&D but expediting is new to me. I have a few questions that I need answered; please help me if you can.

• White glove is a team only operation. What’s a fair compensation rate for a good team in this industry? Should I use a 30/70. 40/60 split or do drivers like a flat rate?
• Are team drivers treated as employees? Do they have taxes withheld from their pay? Fedex ground requires that.
• Does the driver or owner pay for all the tolls or is it split down the middle?
• Does the driver or owner cover the hotel room expenses?
• How long should I keep a team on the road before giving them time off? Do teams usually work 3 weeks on and 1 week off?
• I got a quote for $215,000 for a new D unit on a Cascadia frame WG spec. Is that a good price or is that too high?
• According to the recruiter weekly Revenue Averages: $ 4,384 + FSC. Are those realistic numbers?
Thanks again for your time.

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
(Cut & Paste)

I hope all is well . I have trucks that are currently being built and wanted to reach out to with some pricing and a brief spec. Right now the turn time would be pretty quick. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

2014 Freightliner Cascadia 113

Detroit DD 13 380 hp

Eaton Fuller 10 speed ultra shift plus

Jake

All power options in the cab

Leather dual air ride, swivel seats

Dual 80 gallon polished tanks

all polished alum wheels

16 ply steer tires

96" AA sleeper, Roof notch out for refer unit, Can change interior colors and floor type and layout

Micro/Convection oven, Sink, 3000 w inverter,Shore power, Large bunk , Dinette table option, Roof top air, Fantastic fan,TV/DVD, Satellite Dish.

Onan 7500 in a alum box with polished mirror doors , Incl Bat monitor

Carrier supra 960 top mount refer, Incl Data cold reader and four probes

Morgan 22' X102"X105" refer van , Five rows E track, Eight D rings in floor,Two large LED lights inside, Swing doors

Waltco 4 k lb 60"x82" large platform self level gate ,Cart stops and handheld remote

30 Gal refer fuel tank for refer and APU

Large alum tool box with mirror finish doors

Manual dolly legs

4yr 500 k DD EW3 eng warranty

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
(Cut & Paste)

I hope all is well . I have trucks that are currently being built and wanted to reach out to with some pricing and a brief spec. Right now the turn time would be pretty quick. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

2014 Freightliner Cascadia 113

Detroit DD 13 380 hp

Eaton Fuller 10 speed ultra shift plus

Jake

All power options in the cab

Leather dual air ride, swivel seats

Dual 80 gallon polished tanks

all polished alum wheels

16 ply steer tires

96" AA sleeper, Roof notch out for refer unit, Can change interior colors and floor type and layout

Micro/Convection oven, Sink, 3000 w inverter,Shore power, Large bunk , Dinette table option, Roof top air, Fantastic fan,TV/DVD, Satellite Dish.

Onan 7500 in a alum box with polished mirror doors , Incl Bat monitor

Carrier supra 960 top mount refer, Incl Data cold reader and four probes

Morgan 22' X102"X105" refer van , Five rows E track, Eight D rings in floor,Two large LED lights inside, Swing doors

Waltco 4 k lb 60"x82" large platform self level gate ,Cart stops and handheld remote

30 Gal refer fuel tank for refer and APU

Large alum tool box with mirror finish doors

Manual dolly legs

4yr 500 k DD EW3 eng warranty

It sounds, "OK". Too small an engine for my tastes but that is personal. I would not dream of going any smaller than my 450HP I have now. I average 10.5MPG and I seldom have to "work" that engine. Again, personal choice. I also would never own another truck with swing doors. How much insulation in the box?

Sleeper and Onan sounds good. Don't know much about the "AA" quality. No experience with them.

Who built the box? Did the cut out invalidate the box warranty? Who did the cutout?

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
What's a tag axle and what's a tval truck? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge about the expediting industry with me.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
What's a tag axle and what's a tval truck? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge about the expediting industry with me.

Not sure I'd lay out that much cash or borrow that much money unless you have gobs of it to burn. Not trying to be a jerk, but i'd learn tons more about the business first. You're splitting the revenue pie lots of ways in a niche you know little about. You could get hurt real easy, financially.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
A tag axle is an additional non-fixed axle, used to provide additional payload capacity. It can be raised off the ground when not needed.

TVAL stands for Temperature Validated. These are refrigerated trucks that have to undergo additional testing in order to haul certain "specialized" freight. While not required, TVAL certification opens a truck up to additional (and, at least in theory, higher paying) load opportunities.

In total agreement with usafk9 about doing more research.

Last edited:

bojomoko

Seasoned Expediter
Not sure I'd lay out that much cash or borrow that much money unless you have gobs of it to burn. Not trying to be a jerk, but i'd learn tons more about the business first. You're splitting the revenue pie lots of ways in a niche you know little about. You could get hurt real easy, financially.

Your not a jerk and I don't take it personal either. Every business has a learning curve. I don't have cash to burn but i'll be fine. I've stopped many CC drivers that referred me to their owners but when I call the owners asking for advice or help, no one returns my calls. Technically I am competition as well as a potential member of the team. The more OO trucks, the thinner the slices of pie. I would love to ride hands on with an owner to learn the ropes, but I don't think that will happen. I believe that persistence defeats resistance so i'll learn this system eventually. I would love to see the financials from an OO from WG D-unit section, but that will happen only in a perfect world.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I advise you not to do this. You know to little about the industry to make such a major investment.

A quality D truck, team operated will allow you to learn the ropes, without the major investment.

"Looks good on paper" will not cut it out here, you, being in the industry should already know that.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Expediting, and any trucking, is a good way to retire with a small fortune, provided you went into the business with a large fortune.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Your not a jerk and I don't take it personal either. Every business has a learning curve. I don't have cash to burn but i'll be fine. I've stopped many CC drivers that referred me to their owners but when I call the owners asking for advice or help, no one returns my calls. Technically I am competition as well as a potential member of the team. The more OO trucks, the thinner the slices of pie. I would love to ride hands on with an owner to learn the ropes, but I don't think that will happen. I believe that persistence defeats resistance so i'll learn this system eventually. I would love to see the financials from an OO from WG D-unit section, but that will happen only in a perfect world.

Fair enough.

Let's do this: You came here looking for advice. Two years after you pull the trigger on this deal, will you come back and share exactly how it's gone for you? If this truly is a place to learn, how about sharing what has or hasn't worked for you with some FedEx CC experience under your belt? I've bared my soul here, financially-speaking, with the last $500 to my wife's and my name being used as the downstroke on our first truck....a $34,000 purchase, driven by us. We were and remain hungry. We enjoy what we do. That said, your risk is almost SEVEN TIMES THAT MUCH.....just in cash, and you're not driving it yourself. We learned a ton by failing, and are happy to share that with others.

Again, not being a jerk, but seriously, how about returning the favor? That's an honest question. A few folks caution you about avoiding what, I think, most whom have replied, is a pending trainwreck. You're an adult, I am assuming, who appears to have their mind made up. I think you are incorrect about finding someone to "ride with", but believe what you think that entails may be different from reality. I know specifically of one TVAL truck that is non-owner driven by a solo that I'm fairly certain the owner would love to have a team in. There's a way to learn. Here's another. You can call a recruiter and they will give you top-earning and average numbers. Real ones, not some fantasy. We were given real accurate numbers when we started, and that knowledge has served us well since. Though I can't say for sure, I'd bet that a recruiter could put you in touch with a fleet owner who would share expenses.

Some of the other folks who responded have tons more experience than I. Please, seriously think this through, as they and I suggest.

GandJ

Active Expediter
Two suggestions that proved to work for this team.

Almost every question you have is answered in this forum.

July 26 and 27 the Expedite Expo is going on.

I read 5 years back here on the forum and we attended the expo last year.

Prepared us almost fully for our FedEx CC adventure and my study and new relationships made were worth the time and money.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not trying to be a jerk but after reading many of the questions you have it does seem that you may not be the best candidate for what you are looking to go into.

That is not to say that you can't make a go of it, just that on the surface it would seem you don't have the background needed. One of the primary responsibilities of an owner, in my opinion, it to be able to assist the drivers that go into business with you to succeed. With no first hand experience in White Glove or TVAL that will be VERY difficult for you. The divisions you are looking into are far different than any other freight that FDCC handles. At the VERY least you should have a manager, who has that experience to manage your fleet. That, of course, would be ANOTHER piece of the pie gone.

I wish you luck and if you wish to talk with me, I have 8 years in White Glove/TVAL I would be happy to talk with you. Just drop me a PM and I will give you my number. MANY FDCC O/O and drivers are MORE than happy to help.