Youtube

mbc383

Expert Expediter
I wonder why are there no you tube videos online about what driver do on the road. I have seen one but that person only made a few but nothing else. There have been some about the expo but they don't tell you much. I wonder if there is a rule no videos with expediters I am not saying tell what loads you have but just some real info on what is it that make this kind of truck different from 18 wheelers. I seen a lot about the big trucks, nobody have a camera or a camera phone just to talk about your trucks. I been to one expediter truck lot that have them you have to go on a game show from all questions they ask you just for a walk through. I been on big truck lots and the sales guy will hand you keys and say have fun but at the expediter lot you have a chain they. Then they chain to your body with an alarm if you leave the with those keys here come those black helicopters and you better have something better than I forgot. I can not wait until I can get one. Thanks from Linda and Micheal:p;)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No need for a video when a single still photo can capture and portray the expedite van experience.

Attachments

• Zombie Van.jpg
    Zombie Van.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 105

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Because expediting in a van is like rushing your kid from the dentist to the barber shop before closing time. Moms do it every day, there is very little to talk about. Big trucks take a whole other skill set most cv drivers don't possess with exception to moot and ovm (may be more). I'm not downing cv drivers as I'm glad they are working and enjoying what they do.

Also Zane put a vid up a while back of his take on expedite a while back. Search the forum for a video thread by mxzane933.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Because expediting in a van is like rushing your kid from the dentist to the barber shop before closing time. Moms do it every day, there is very little to talk about. Big trucks take a whole other skill set most cv drivers don't possess with exception to moot and ovm (may be more). I'm not downing cv drivers as I'm glad they are working and enjoying what they do.

Also Zane put a vid up a while back of his take on expedite a while back. Search the forum for a video thread by mxzane933.

I wouldnt want to be a Truck Driver, nor do I consider myself a Truck Driver, I enjoy my Freedom to much. I hope your skills are ready for the new HOS rules, with more sure to come.:)
But thats a good idea to start broadcasting this vacation. Im pretty sure a cargo van expediter footage would be a little more interesting. I mean how much can you film at a Prison/Truckstop.
Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
None of its rocket science even though some want you to think otherwise.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I wouldnt want to be a Truck Driver, nor do I consider myself a Truck Driver, I enjoy my Freedom to much. I hope your skills are ready for the new HOS rules, with more sure to come.:)
But thats a good idea to start broadcasting this vacation. Im pretty sure a cargo van expediter footage would be a little more interesting. I mean how much can you film at a Prison/Truckstop.

The new hos doesnt affect me. But i like my money too much to go on "vacation" but i got a family to support and no way in hell i could do it in a van.

None of its rocket science even though some want you to think otherwise.

I didnt say it was rocket science, I just stated it takes more skills to drive a truck than a van.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didnt say it was rocket science, I just stated it takes more skills to drive a truck than a van.

By around here I mean eo in general wasn't pointing fingers.

Last edited:

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
The new hos doesnt affect me. But i like my money too much to go on "vacation" but i got a family to support and no way in hell i could do it in a van.

Skills and Stress probably mean the same thing when driving a Truck.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter

You said being a cargo van expediter was the same as being a soccer mom? I think a soccer mom would be checking into a Mental hospital after a week (if that) if she traded places with a cargo van expediter(vice versa).Thats what makes it kind of a "skill" ,bc your average person couldnt or wouldnt do this type of work or live this lifestyle.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You said being a cargo van expediter was the same as being a soccer mom? I think a soccer mom would be checking into a Mental hospital after a week (if that) if she traded places with a cargo van expediter(vice versa).Thats what makes it kind of a "skill" ,bc your average person couldnt or wouldnt do this type of work or live this lifestyle.

The ability to hang around isn't a skill, millions of welfare recipients do it for a living every day. The average person wouldn't work at McDonald's but that doesn't mean the ones that do have a skill. The ability to try and scrape by because you don't want to go get a class A or B isn't a skill. There are plenty of CV and Sprinter drivers that make a good living and have been doing so for years, that IS a skill. They have figured out how to do it right and the right company to partner with so that they are earning about what a company TT driver earns. Those are the guys that could make informative videos for people but it would be a business knowledge video and not one about expediting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've thought about it, the idea of shooting a video does have its moments.

Problem: If you're going to do this while moving, you have to have a suitable camera mount. I have a tripod, but locking that down to make it stable-- can't be done. So, I'd have to invent something.

Problem #2: My video camera is only slightly younger than dust. I bought it in 1997, it uses 8mm tape. Getting this thing to work with You-Tube could be a challenge.

Most people have considerably newer cameras-- many are made these days specifically with YouTube in mind. There's still the problem of making a suitably rigid mounting so the camera can be aimed and hold its settings while you're doing your thing.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Oil
The ability to hang around isn't a skill, millions of welfare recipients do it for a living every day. The average person wouldn't work at McDonald's but that doesn't mean the ones that do have a skill. The ability to try and scrape by because you don't want to go get a class A or B isn't a skill. There are plenty of CV and Sprinter drivers that make a good living and have been doing so for years, that IS a skill. They have figured out how to do it right and the right company to partner with so that they are earning about what a company TT driver earns. Those are the guys that could make informative videos for people but it would be a business knowledge video and not one about expediting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Its a skill when you hang around and are making money(I am doing quite well actually, and when im moving im probably making more then half the TT on the road) it is a skill to hang around when the turnovet rate is 85% in first year...um how long did you make it expediting in a C/V...not very long I assume. And I can almost guarantee, the one scraping by at mcdonalds, ect..probabably hate their job, so your comparisons are void.

Last edited:

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Oil

Its a skill when you hang around and are making money(I am doing quite well actually, and when im moving im probably making more then half the TT on the road) it is a skill to hang around when the turnovet rate is 85% in first year...um how long did you make it expediting in a C/V...not very long I assume.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
No need for a video when a single still photo can capture and portray the expedite van experience.

These would fit as well...

tumblr_mbdokjv57d1qctkcl.jpg

hF23A4608

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Oil

Its a skill when you hang around and are making money(I am doing quite well actually, and when im moving im probably making more then half the TT on the road) it is a skill to hang around when the turnovet rate is 85% in first year...um how long did you make it expediting in a C/V...not very long I assume.

You pocket 1/3 of what, $.70 cpm? I would have to say your assumption of making more than many company drivers in a t/t is very far fetched. My pay is $.40 cpm running 3000 miles a week. I have taxes witheld and insurance and still pocket $900 a week. Now im kindof a dummy but im going to go out on a limb here and say you arent getting 3k miles every week in a cv. And i know panther vans are running at $.70 cpm plus $.24 fsc. Im going to be generous by saying you average 2800 miles a week at $.94 so its $2632 before fuel,taxes and other expenses. 1/3 of that is $877 and you are living in a tin can. You can have that.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
You pocket 1/3 of what, $.70 cpm? I would have to say your assumption of making more than many company drivers in a t/t is very far fetched. My pay is $.40 cpm running 3000 miles a week. I have taxes witheld and insurance and still pocket $900 a week. Now im kindof a dummy but im going to go out on a limb here and say you arent getting 3k miles every week in a cv. And i know panther vans are running at $.70 cpm plus $.24 fsc. Im going to be generous by saying you average 2800 miles a week at $.94 so its $2632 before fuel,taxes and other expenses. 1/3 of that is $877 and you are living in a tin can. You can have that.

Averaging 2800 miles a week? Maybe in one of my dreams I had. But I said when I was moving? And I pay myself 41cpm. So, when im moving,Im making more then you:)

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Averaging 2800 miles a week? Maybe in one of my dreams I had. But I said when I was moving? And I pay myself 41cpm. So, when im moving,Im making more then you:) And I dont pay taxes...you can have that.