Some patients won't see nurses of different race

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a flip side. People are people. There is now, and always will be, people of all races with this type of prejudice.

How would it benefit their treatment to force them to use staff they are not comfortable with? Patients should ALWAYS be in total control of their health care. They should ALWAYS have the RIGHT to decide on what care they receive and who delivers it, no matter how silly the reason. The government has NO business interfering in this in any way, shape or form. It is called freedom.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
There is a flip side. People are people. There is now, and always will be, people of all races with this type of prejudice.

How would it benefit their treatment to force them to use staff they are not comfortable with? Patients should ALWAYS be in total control of their health care. They should ALWAYS have the RIGHT to decide on what care they receive and who delivers it, no matter how silly the reason. The government has NO business interfering in this in any way, shape or form. It is called freedom.

So on the flip side, its ok for a 'non-white' Nurse - who has been trained in exactly the same way, with exactly the same qualifications as a white nurse - to sue because that is their Right too, right? :rolleyes:

How will it ever end :confused:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So on the flip side, its ok for a 'non-white' Nurse - who has been trained in exactly the same way, with exactly the same qualifications as a white nurse - to sue because that is their Right too, right? :rolleyes:

How will it ever end :confused:

It will never end. Human nature is what it is.

No one should be able to sue. The patient should be in 100% control of who works on them and what treatment they receive. The patient has the RIGHT to be comfortable with their health care. The staff should just learn to deal with it.

What about religious grounds? Should a patient be FORCED to use staff their religion forbids them to use?

This is the problem when governments stick their stinky noses where they don't belong. Health care is a PRIVATE matter and the government should butt out!

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter

No one should be able to sue. The patient should be in 100% control of who works on them and what treatment they receive. The patient has the RIGHT to be comfortable with their health care. The staff should just learn to deal with it.

What about religious grounds? Should a patient be FORCED to use staff their religion forbids them to use?

This is the problem when governments stick their stinky noses where they don't belong. Health care is a PRIVATE matter and the government should butt out!

I can understand a woman requesting a female doctor or vice versa - but not dictating what Colour/Creed/Nationality or Religion of medical staff when they are all trained to the same standard.
Hospitals may well have to change rosters to accommodate one patient!!

I would be darned annoyed too if I was the Nurse :mad:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can understand a woman requesting a female doctor or vice versa - but not dictating what Colour/Creed/Nationality or Religion of medical staff when they are all trained to the same standard.
Hospitals may well have to change rosters to accommodate one patient!!

I would be darned annoyed too if I was the Nurse :mad:

No, it is ALWAYS the choice of the patient! As to the sex of the patient/staff, discrimination is discrimination. If one kind is allowed, all should be. If it is going to be a "take it or leave it" for one, it is for all.

I NEVER got upset when a patient refused my care when I was an EMT. It was never for racial reasons, but it would not have mattered. All I did was hand them a release. I explained they had to sign it, refusing care and accepting all the responsibility for their actions, even if they bleed to death. That normally solved the problem.

If the staff takes it personal it is THEIR problem. It is a business where private choice, no matter how stupid the reason, is VASTLY more important than the "feelings" of the staff. That nurse should grow up. IF she is REALLY that touchy, I don't want here working on me either! Too immature for the job. I would at that point question her professional abilities.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

So you would be fine with a shipper (customer/patient) refusing to put a load on your (provider) truck, no matter how silly the reason?

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
No, it is ALWAYS the choice of the patient! As to the sex of the patient/staff, discrimination is discrimination. If one kind is allowed, all should be. If it is going to be a "take it or leave it" for one, it is for all.

I NEVER got upset when a patient refused my care when I was an EMT. It was never for racial reasons, but it would not have mattered. All I did was hand them a release. I explained they had to sign it, refusing care and accepting all the responsibility for their actions, even if they bleed to death. That normally solved the problem.

If the staff takes it personal it is THEIR problem. It is a business where private choice, no matter how stupid the reason, is VASTLY more important than the "feelings" of the staff. That nurse should grow up. IF she is REALLY that touchy, I don't want here working on me either! Too immature for the job. I would at that point question her professional abilities.

It is not ONE nurse ...

"The Michigan cases are among several lawsuits filed in recent years that highlight this seldom-discussed issue, which quietly persists almost 60 years after the start of the civil rights movement."

"It's been called one of medicine's "open secrets" — allowing patients to refuse treatment by a doctor or nurse of another race"

""In general, I don't think honoring prejudicial preferences ... is morally justifiable" for a health care organization, said Dr. Susan Goold, a University of Michigan professor of internal medicine and public health. "That said, you can't cure bigotry ..."

:(

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think you have the freedom to choose who provides your medical treatments. But, I also believe that you don't have the right to demand a change of personnel at that particular medical facility based on anything other than performance. In other words, I believe the proper response from the medical facility should be "this is who we have available for you. Unless she has done something wrong, she will remain. If you choose to leave, you have that option".

I have been in the situation where I demanded a change in nursing. It wasn't because of race though. In fact, there were two instances and one of them, I have no idea...don't remember the nurse's skin color. The second one, I do.

But, both of those nurses made fairly severe mistakes in what they were supposed to be doing. I was in the hospital for an extended period, I knew exactly what was written in their work instructions. Both times, even with myself and a family member telling them they were not following the written instructions, they continued. The first came back later, in quite a rush, and made an attempt to correct the mistake. The second occurrence was pretty rough actually. I finally stopped her half way through and demanded a different nurse immediately. I never saw either nurse again.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

So receivers should be able to say who delivers to them, you should be able to choose your food server etc. Where does it end?

You should be able to choose for quality reasons if your paying but because you don't like someones looks is bull crap. Time to leave that fantisy world behind.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess NO ONE seems to understand just now PERSONAL health care is. It is VERY possible that it could cost a patient their LIFE in certain situations. Trying to compare a shipper or an eatery is not a valid comparison in my view. Shippers, waiters are not going to be touching you, often in VERY intimate places, at least no one I have ever been at. Add to that a patient that may already be scared, often not rational. Is it not better to just handle it?

Thin skin is a problem. I would have NO problem standing back if the patient benefits. It is THEIR life after all. No skin off my nose.

As to when is going to end? NEVER! You are dealing with human nature and that is NEVER rational. Everyone has a their own "funny side". It is what makes us different.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess NO ONE seems to understand just now PERSONAL health care is. It is VERY possible that it could cost a patient their LIFE in certain situations. Trying to compare a shipper or an eatery is not a valid comparison in my view. Shippers, waiters are not going to be touching you, often in VERY intimate places, at least no one I have ever been at. Add to that a patient that may already be scared, often not rational. Is it not better to just handle it?

Thin skin is a problem. I would have NO problem standing back it the patient benefits. It is THEIR life after all. No skin off my nose.

Some people don't understand how personal prejudices can be.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some people don't understand how personal prejudices can be.

Sure I do. Everyone alive as dealt with prejudice at one time or another in their lives. Which is more important, staff "feelings" or a life? It can, and often does, boil down to that. A person that is THAT thin skinned should look for another line of work. Health care is not for wimps.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Sure I do. Everyone alive as dealt with prejudice at one time or another in their lives. Which is more important, staff "feelings" or a life? It can, and often does, boil down to that. A person that is THAT thin skinned should look for another line of work. Health care is not for wimps.
But how does the person's skin color become involved in that life or death rationale? Some of the best and most caring nurses I had were black.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
But how does the person's skin color become involved in that life or death rationale? Some of the best and most caring nurses I had were black.

No it's not rational. I never said it was.

Assume an ER or a wreck on a road. A patient has a "problem" with a certain race, sex etc. They are hurt, sick, scared, often not rational at all. IF care was forced on them their blood pressure could, and does, skyrocket. THAT alone, under the right set of events, kill.

I seen it far too often. Once was on a call where a little kids had fallen out of a moving car. The kid was one massive brush burn from head to toe, scared, crying, not understanding. Myself and another male EMT went to help, the kid FREAKED, my wife went in, NO PROBLEM.

Deal with it. I never said it was the skin color of the provider that was the problem, it is the PATIENTS problem but letting it upset one is silly. You are there for the patient and ONLY the patient. The providers "feelings" don't matter.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Personally...if it's my life...or a loved one's life on the line.... I couldn't care less what somebody's skin color is. I want to know who is best with that particular condition. It would be really stupid and dangerous to refuse treatment from a well qualified and proven provider because of their race...or sex... only to be treated by somebody less qualified. I just don't get the bigotry of it...at all.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally...if it's my life...or a loved one's life on the line.... I couldn't care less what somebody's skin color is. I want to know who is best with that particular condition. It would be really stupid and dangerous to refuse treatment from a well qualified and proven provider because of their race...or sex... only to be treated by somebody less qualified. I just don't get the bigotry of it...at all.

That's when you strangle them and throw them against a wall:p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I don't care either. My primary care DR is a woman. I don't care if the person is a gay person with green skin and yellow eyes if they are good. MANY PEOPLE DO! Do we deny them their comfort? We treat the ENTIRE patient, not the just the illness or injury. If THEY chose to risk their lives, their problem.

Don't try to make sense out of it, it does not make sense.