Do you ever get tired of this?

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I mean really do ya? I felt like this a year ago and here comes Phil with his I am tired of Expedite Diatribe...
I am really tired of sitting and waiting for the call...WTF
I want to spend the rest of my life doing something... ANYTHING
Am I going thru a midlife or am I sick of Expedite?
If I spend one more weekend in a sleeper I will commit a hate crime I am sure...
Anyone feel the same?
IMG8668-L.jpg

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Time to get the camera out and shoot some of Washington State's beautiful scenery.
I'm not tired of it 'cause I too young to retire and it beats working for a living.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I'd rather do that than throw these dam chains and straps anymore....well maybe the tarps are the part I hate...idk.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I do, once in awhile. Usually when it's raining, and I've gotten out of the truck 5 times at the shipper [security, receiving for dock assignment, dock to open up & back in, receiving office for BOL, dock to pull out & close up, security again - oh, that's 6 times!] and I'm soaked to the skin. I can peel off the wet clothes and put on dry ones, but where do I put the wet stuff to dry? [In a plastic bag, and hope I can get to a laundromat before they mildew.] And where do I put my sock feet when the floor is soaked?! And how can I drive when everything is freaking wet and I need to wipe the whole cabin down?! [A little OCD, yes, I am, sigh.]
Then I remember how much I hated every other 'job' I've done, and how much I love seeing places I've only ever read about: NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Idaho. Sure, some are places I can happily never see again [Chicago!], but I did see them, is the point. Think about running along the Columbia River: is there anything better than that in a regular job?!
Even boring scenery is good, when you have an mp3 player and audiobooks - and they pay you to cruise along with your feet up [well, I'm short, haha] munching on snacks in your freakin jammies, iffen ya want - does it get any better than that?
Still, we are like snowflakes: the same, but different. If you truly want to change, you're blessed with a rare talent [photography] and you can chase that dream instead, if you want to enough.
I'd say if your 'funk' has lasted a year, you are well & truly sick of expediting, and ought to chase another dream now.
I think you [assuming Cynthia agrees] are ready to begin moving on to the next adventure: exploiting your talented eye for money, as well as personal pleasure. I believe you can do it, and do it very well.
If not, it's traditional for artists to starve, yes?
;)

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I do, once in awhile. Usually when it's raining, and I've gotten out of the truck 5 times at the shipper [security, receiving for dock assignment, dock to open up & back in, receiving office for BOL, dock to pull out & close up, security again - oh, that's 6 times!] and I'm soaked to the skin. I can peel off the wet clothes and put on dry ones, but where do I put the wet stuff to dry? [In a plastic bag, and hope I can get to a laundromat before they mildew.] And where do I put my sock feet when the floor is soaked?! And how can I drive when everything is freaking wet and I need to wipe the whole cabin down?! [A little OCD, yes, I am, sigh.]
Then I remember how much I hated every other 'job' I've done, and how much I love seeing places I've only ever read about: NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Idaho. Sure, some are places I can happily never see again [Chicago!], but I did see them, is the point. Think about running along the Columbia River: is there anything better than that in a regular job?!
Even boring scenery is good, when you have an mp3 player and audiobooks - and they pay you to cruise along with your feet up [well, I'm short, haha] munching on snacks in your freakin jammies, iffen ya want - does it get any better than that?
Still, we are like snowflakes: the same, but different. If you truly want to change, you're blessed with a rare talent [photography] and you can chase that dream instead, if you want to enough.
I'd say if your 'funk' has lasted a year, you are well & truly sick of expediting, and ought to chase another dream now.
I think you [assuming Cynthia agrees] are ready to begin moving on to the next adventure: exploiting your talented eye for money, as well as personal pleasure. I believe you can do it, and do it very well.
If not, it's traditional for artists to starve, yes?
;)
Thanks Cheri (still want my **** t-shirt BTW) I just hate this every day and anymore I really don't have to do this....I love my grands and every day with them is better than 3 great months on the road..
I still love the FED but am tired of the cycles in expo...
Better no to be at home making 1/4 of my current whatever and live? I am getting soooo old 8)
IMG_2589-1.jpg

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I mean really do ya? I felt like this a year ago and here comes Phil with his I am tired of Expedite Diatribe...
I am really tired of sitting and waiting for the call...
If I spend one more weekend in a sleeper I will commit a hate crime I am sure...
Anyone feel the same?
The grass isn't always greener. I came off the road, sleep in my own bed every night in a home with central heat & air, even have benefits...and many nights I wish I was back in a van, sleeping God-knows-where, waiting to go God-knows-where-else.

guido4475

Not a Member
I see it like this. Since my divorce in 97, For the most part I have lived out of a truck, or van.I have gotten down on myself alot for not dong better in life, as I had it all and then some up until my divorce.But then I realized something. There are literally thousands of people, who would give anything to have what we have. A roof over our heads. Heat. Air conditioning. Being able to eat in a McDonalds. Yes, I am talking about the homeless. Some are that way for circumstances beyond their control. Others are not.So where do we have the right to complain? Absolutely no right at all. Think about it the next time you see the people under the bridge. so I really think we are blessed in so many ways, more than we realize.Sit back and think about all that you may have, whether you have a home to go to, one that doesn't move, or one that does move, on wheels. And then think about those that do not have anything at all, just the clothes on their backs. So in closing, I do not get tired of this, But count my blessings. You should also.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Expedite has it's headaches, but when all is said and done, it's a job I currently enjoy. Really would not want to go back into the workforce as it's currently structured. Out here? I can at least run my old school value system while playing the modern game only when that mask needs to be donned. Think I might tire quickly of the politics and social conformity which accompanies the workplace these days.

So for around 90% of the time, I can be ME......not what people nowadays want or expect you to be. Conform or be cast out? Got a better idea; think I'll remove myself and drive a Sprinter, thank you.

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I am really tired of sitting and waiting for the call...WTF
I want to spend the rest of my life doing something... ANYTHING
Anyone feel the same?

LOL I think this hits sevral time a year. Living in a box can be taxing on you when there isnt freight going on the truck..Looks like you live in a good area for freight so why not head home when they stop putting freight on the truck, Yes you lose a bit but ya gain it all back when the kids come over and when you get your fill of it you can leave again. Untill things pick back up just becarfull where ya go.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like you just need to park at home for a couple few weeks, and decompress.
Take A decent vacation you have at least my permission. Go ahead and call me a hipocrate L.O.L., The freight will be waiting for you when you get back.
Bob Wolf.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Besides how long would anybody put up with the B.S. in this business if it wern't in thier blood? A week or two max.

Bob Wolf.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I neither love it or hate it. It is strictly business. It is the business that I currently earn my living at. If something better comes along, or better yet, I develop something better, I would not miss it. It is just business. I would prefer to be out on the River.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I neither love it or hate it. It is strictly business. It is the business that I currently earn my living at. If something better comes along, or better yet, I develop something better, I would not miss it. It is just business. I would prefer to be out on the River.

Its a Job..Most of time its a job I enjoy..But with no freight it rapidly loses the Adventure
part.
Agree floating a boat is better then tieing down freight..:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I find little adventure, even when busy. It is also, by far, one of the most BORING things I have EVER done. Even more boring than my intel job was and that was REALLY boring!

I am never bored when on the River or out in the field. There is NUTHIN better than living in the REAL world!

guido4475

Not a Member
I find little adventure, even when busy. It is also, by far, one of the most BORING things I have EVER done. Even more boring than my intel job was and that was REALLY boring!

I am never bored when on the River or out in the field. There is NUTHIN better than living in the REAL world!

Isn't that where Brokeback Mountain and Deliverance was created? On the river or out in the field???? lol....:eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Isn't that where Brokeback Mountain and Deliverance was created? On the river or out in the field???? lol....:eek:

There are no mountains in Detroit or in Michigan for that matter. Just a few goose bumps here and there. SO, there is no Brokeback Mountain where I go. Deliverance was a "southern thing". SO again, not where I go. As to my "River" I would say that the correct term for it is the "Straights of Detroit" so, again, no brokeback problems there either! In the fields I am looking for rabbits, pheasants, ducks, geese and sometimes deer. I don't know what you do out there. Not my business! :p