Need help big time!!!

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Can't you replace that WHOLE engine, NEW engine at that, for $9800 or less??

Well then do tell.....or share a little bit of info on how much it would cost to replace a Diesel Engine in a Sprinter.

Information such as this could very well save someone from making a mistake in buying a Sprinter in their future....................

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
Now doesn't an Nissan 3500 look better everyday gang. Awh, the joys of ownership and taking your rig to a shop...................good day

That is why I traded my sprinter for the Nissan..... They wanted 8 grand for a new rearend

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
Well then do tell.....or share a little bit of info on how much it would cost to replace a Diesel Engine in a Sprinter.

Information such as this could very well save someone from making a mistake in buying a Sprinter in their future....................

When I replaced the engine in my 2005 sprinter is was 10 grand

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
i took photos, and video, got all the parts, just looking for a killer lawyer, plus sprinter is still not done being worked on, so i dont have a final price of the damage, so its the lawyer thing i am after now....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Currently it's about $12,000. But when you replace the engine, you aren't just replacing the engine. You can do that for about $5,000, but then you have to R&R and reuse a lot of your old parts, like fuel injector pump, injectors, fuel rail, starter, pulleys, tensioner, vacuum pump, 6 or 8 sensors, pretty much everything attached to the engine, and that takes a snotload of labor hours, $3000 or $4000 worth. The $12,000 engine is plug-n-play, where the engine, and everything connected to it, is replaced in one whack. All new, everything working together. Reusing injectors, injector pump and fuel rail isn't a good idea with a new engine, and those three things alone cost more than five grand. Replacing the engine in plug-n-play fashion is cheaper in the long run, because it'll save you from having to replace many of the reused parts down the line sooner rather than later.

People think these new vans coming in from Europe bearing North American name plates are going to be dramatically different from a Sprinter, and more like the traditional North American Slop Buckets. They are in for a rude awakening.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is a 2007 Sprinter worth putting that much money into repairs? Seems like the repairs may exceed the value of the van! Just my opinion, but I know nothing about Sprinters.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Depends on what you want out of life. You will reach a point where the repairs can exceed the value of the van, but is that really important? What's cheaper, a $12,000 engine in a 5 year old van, or 6 years of van payments plus interest? If you maintain and repair a vehicle, it can last a long time, far beyond it's value. When you replace the engine in a van, the only other major expenditures you're going to have for a while is a transmission and possible the rear end, both of which are small potatoes compared to the engine. If you maintain, replace and repair, a vehicle can last a really, really long time. It really depends on how eager you are to jump into buying a new one.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
[SUP]I [/SUP][SUB]
heart-beating-animated.gif
[/SUB][SUP]my Sprinter. [/SUP]

Brisco

Expert Expediter
What's cheaper, a $12,000 engine in a 5 year old van, or 6 years of van payments plus interest?

A $12,000 down payment on an American made "Slop Bucket" with low LOW payments for 3-4-5 years.......AND......LOW LOW maintenance costs to keep that bucket up and running....... :)

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some may say that OVN's ride is a rolling renovation in proggess but OVM wouldn't trade it in for all of the money in the world. I bet OVM will still be rolling in it after he wins the lottery. My van is gonna keep on rolling until the wheels lock up. lol. Every time you switch vehicles you lose time and money. It takes a lot of time to outfit an expedite van and that is something that should only be done once or twice your career!

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
my bill is at $11900 as of today, will provide you all, with all the work that was done, tell me if you think the dealer is milking me...i think they are, but what the hell do i know, my sprinter has 170k, and ran perfectly before this a holes messed it up, asked the dealer what the cost was for a new engine, they said 17k, go figure!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You nailed it!! I know every squeak and rattle... what has been done and what needs to be done, when where and how much. It fits just like an old shoe.