warrning bad owner

BigCat

Expert Expediter
We should have section on the free ads where you can give owner reviews. But not the kind where just anyone can say what they want but one has to be member in good standing and have reason to believe someone is bad owner.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can't see any reason to incur the potential liability, just because some people don't know what due diligence means. If a potential owner can't or won't provide contact info for other drivers who have worked for him, stay away. Potential drivers are required to provide their work history, which allows the owners to do their due diligence, too.
If you pick a bad owner or driver, it's probably your own fault - just sayin.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I agree there to Gary but I'm referring more to just like owners who refuse to pay drivers for their honest hard work. Just as you should be able to review drivers who damage your equipment or load.

Cheri there is no more liability there than if you post it in the open forum. It is not exactly your fault if you get a bad owner. Who is to say you are getting an honest reference if it is even a driver for them.

Think out side the box here.

Mayfield Express

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Big Cat: I don't know the legalities involved, but it seems a case could be made for libel, slander, defamation of character, etc, if a site knowingly allows allegations [without proof] to be publicized. We've all seen enough of these 'warnings' to know they're usually long on complaints & short on specific details, much less proof, so why risk the headache of legal threats? Any driver who has a legitimate complaint should be able to back it up in a court of law, and if they can't, well, lesson learned, IMO.
If a potential owner can't provide more than one reference, I'd consider that a warning flag, myself.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It isn't even if eo could be guilty or not guilty of something. Once your named in a suit you lose because the lawyer fees begin. Why expose yourself to that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'm getting tired of posting this.
If you go to an ad,check vote on this ad,you can say your piece.
You should,good or bad.
If everyone did this for every owner they know,maybe bad reviews would drive the bad guys away from the free ads.
You have to be truthful as they will know who posted the rating.
After posting this about five times Miss Kat,Lawrence,( both semi-retired) and I know about this .
I guess Phil is the only one that ever reads my posts.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I drove for an owner once. Drove the truck 6 miles.
He only had a few trucks. He could have given me two or three referances.
One could be his son. Another a brother. The third a driver with the same low standards as him.
Asking an owner for referances is like asking the wolf to guard the henhouse.
It's tough for a newbie to do due diligence.
My brother-in-law was being persued by an owner that wouldn't say if the truck had an APU and said they'd discuss the fuel surcharge after he traveled 1700 miles to pick up an undescribed unit.
This owner told him he could live in Phoenix,team with a guy from Fla,and "go home whenever you want."
I steered him in another direction.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I started off with a small fleet owner, lasted a month. Got my own truck after that, guess I don't play well with others! :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I worked for a very good owner and often rate his ads.
And I'll pm people to explain what makes him so good.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I worked for a very good owner and often rate his ads.
And I'll pm people to explain what makes him so good.

I think you will find that most of the good ones seldom run ads.
The best advertising will come from current and past drivers.

BeecherKen

Active Expediter
Its hard to know what to say when you want to help and warn people because you dont want to get in any lible trouble but then you dont want to get picked apart here either. You cant win. Congrats for having the guts to say something.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
We should have section on the free ads where you can give owner reviews. But not the kind where just anyone can say what they want but one has to be member in good standing and have reason to believe someone is bad owner.

Mayfield Express

We have offered reviews in the classifieds for 8 years...

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dont see a problem with posting dont work for company______ but, give some usable details. Dont play the victom card, Dont Ramble on and on about pointless crap, and be professional.

Bob Wolf

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Ok Lawrence, Guess I never noticed that.

I agree BobWolf most guys that come here don't give enough detail on the situation and far too often make threats towards the owners going back to what you say about come forward with info but be PROFESSIONAL.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Dave, i know two good owners that seldom place ads. How many are there that are that good in your opinion?
I think an ad to fleet size ratio would be a good indicator of driver stability.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Zorry: I didn't know about the 'rate this ad' feature, as I rarely look at the ads. It seems a good way to get a thumbs up or down to those who could use the info. As was said already, it helps to be specific [saying 'he/she sucks!' isn't much good] and stick to the facts. Word of mouth and referrals are the best, so networking is a necessity - get to know people in the industry!

MissKat

Expert Expediter
You can check out my rating of Mayfield Express ad but only if you forgive the lack of spellcheck. And if my previous owners from Amsterdam or Ballston Spa NY advertise again you bet I will rate their ad.....

Last edited: