Changing the flex pipe

Deville

Not a Member
So I need to change the flex pipe on the truck. The pipe broke off at the turbo. I'm ready to change it out & I can't get the V-band clamp off the turbo. I had to cut the bolt off & it just sits there it won't budge. I tried twsiting it off with a monkey wrench, I tried heating it up. Am I missing somthing?

I'm ready to take the grinder to it. Any thoughts or advice before I do this. Have I missed somthing?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It likely has a compression band with screws in the top. If you can get a visual, you might be able to get it off. Not a lot of room to work. May have to lossen the turbo for access. Not hard but you then have to replace (or should) the turbo gaskets. It could just be rusted but heating it up too much will damage the turbo pipe. Especially if it has a fair amount of age & rust on it.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thats why most muffler shops are heavy on cutting tools. Torches, impact chisels etc.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
So I need to change the flex pipe on the truck. The pipe broke off at the turbo. I'm ready to change it out & I can't get the V-band clamp off the turbo. I had to cut the bolt off & it just sits there it won't budge. I tried twsiting it off with a monkey wrench, I tried heating it up. Am I missing somthing?

I'm ready to take the grinder to it. Any thoughts or advice before I do this. Have I missed somthing?

You propely got it off by now but in case you havnt..
BFH used gently along with a flatblade screwdriver or small chisel,,Where you cut the bolt off start working under that clamp and going in both directions should break the rust from under the clamp. Be careful not to damage the flange on the turbo

Last edited:

Deville

Not a Member
Hi, no not yet. I have had a crazy week. I'm going to work on it this weekend weather premiting. Thank you for the input. I have a brand new chisel set that I will try out on it.

Deville

Not a Member
You propely got it off by now but in case you havnt..
BFH used gently along with a flatblade screwdriver or small chisel,,Where you cut the bolt off start working under that clamp and going in both directions should break the rust from under the clamp. Be careful not to damage the flange on the turbo

Thank you for the advice, I got a chisel & a Hammer & was able to work it off. It took about 20 mins. It was on there good. New parts on order & should be here in a few days.

Thanks.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for the advice, I got a chisel & a Hammer & was able to work it off. It took about 20 mins. It was on there good. New parts on order & should be here in a few days.

Thanks.

Good deal..Glad it worked out for you