2010 sprinter dpf filter clogged

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Just thot I'd pass this ill maint. Issue on and see what the comments would be....

Dpf filter clogged up at 160 k....MB dealer cost to replace around $2300.00 plus labor....Found a place to clean filter for around $500.00 + shipping...

2 different MB dealers refused to remove/re-install filter citing legal issues....got freight liner dealer to remove...ship and reinstall filter...lthey charged $800.00 to do this ...

Overall cost for this issue came out to around $1600.00.....

This will happen again in around 130k to 200k miles....

Any suggestions guys?

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Don't idle the engine. Number one cause of dpf related issues is idling. Idling a few minutes isn't gonna hurt anything but I would never idle any longer

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Don't idle the engine. Number one cause of dpf related issues is idling. Idling a few minutes isn't gonna hurt anything but I would never idle any longer

Espar heater was one of my first purchases....I have Idled a VERY small amount..but we're talking probably less than 20 hours total in 1.5 years of use....

I did get one tank of bio-fuel but fuel tank label states must be less than 2% bio so I never did that again...(had no choice on that one tank as I was gonna be stuck on side of road if I did'nt get fuel.....

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Haven't heard of this problem. I have a 2011. Hope it ain't so!

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, idling and even just driving in cold ambient temps can block a DPF due to unburned fuels. It's important that you use a 47 Cetane or higher diesel fuel, which means the fuel will burn quicker and more completely, thereby dramatically reducing the amount of soot an ash in the DPF. Most diesel in the US is 40-44 cetane, some even less. Gray bottle Power Service Diesel Kleen® +Cetane Boost® adds 5-6 cetane numbers (white bottle adds 3-4 numbers).

The DPF needs to reach and maintain optimum operating temperature, which is above 500° F. Idling won't do that. On very cold days, an airflow restriction needs to be in place to help the DPF get hot.

I think the lifespan of those filters is about 100,000 to 150,000 miles, but a "forced regen" at highway speeds every now and then will help prolong them.

Instead of Mercedes or Freightliner dealers, look at Cummins or other truck centers. Many will clean a Sprinter's DPF for around $500. In the near future the number of places that clean these things should increase, and the prices should start to come down.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So about a 1.5-2 cpm operation cost on that item if you can't do part of it yourself and/or prices come down some. Thank you EPA etc..

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you need to clean the system out about 40,000 to 60,000 adblue tank needs
to be clean out and flushed to
also using ace's 2 helps to

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
dont idle is a big one and make sure you are using the correct mb number oil,,alot of people think they are but are using the wrong oil {mobil one esp not just any mobil one oil}. i got 300,000 out of my dpf before it got plugged in my 2007 sprinter, and i removed it and sent it away and got it cleaned for around $500 including the shipping

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Does using the variable high idle switch to ramp up the idle work to prevent clogging up the DPF. I'm a northerner so I can't stand the heat. I need to run the van for the air conditioner during the summer or I can't sleep on the road.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is the high idle rpm of a Sprinter with the fixed high idle and what is the rpm range with the variable high idle? What is the fuel usage at high idle?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is the high idle rpm of a Sprinter with the fixed high idle and what is the rpm range with the variable high idle? What is the fuel usage at high idle?

Holy crap Leo.....In the 05-06's the fixed high idle was 2000 rpm...which was required to keep the EGR clean...the newers one might be the same....which it sounds like a race car....Buying a new one with the intention of idling...not such a good move unless you have deep pockets...IF I were to buy a new one now...a rooftop A/C, an Espar with a generator would be a must....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
2000?? Wow, I bet that does sound like a race car or a freight train. I'm not planning to buy one to idle but was just curious what sort of high idle numbers it generated. When I drove the truck I had to idle one night when the Rigmaster was down. The normal idle was about 550-600 rpm. I used the cruise buttons to bump it up to 850-900 rpm. I really had no idea where it should be but figured a 50% increase sounded good. I had no idea but thought maybe 1200 and that that sounded high. 2000. Wow. :eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2000?? Wow, I bet that does sound like a race car or a freight train. I'm not planning to buy one to idle but was just curious what sort of high idle numbers it generated. When I drove the truck I had to idle one night when the Rigmaster was down. The normal idle was about 550-600 rpm. I used the cruise buttons to bump it up to 850-900 rpm. I really had no idea where it should be but figured a 50% increase sounded good. I had no idea but thought maybe 1200 and that that sounded high. 2000. Wow. :eek:

1200-1300 in that range is where I set mine.....as you see from one post the new ones are down to 1500....a little better

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I set mine at 1200 t0 1300 also with the variable high idle switch. 1500 seems a little high to me but I am wondering if that will keep my DPF from clogging.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I set mine at 1200 t0 1300 also with the variable high idle switch. 1500 seems a little high to me but I am wondering if that will keep my DPF from clogging.

That would probably be the Mercedes recommended setting.....Like ours is 2,000 recommended for the egr to keep clean...