4 skid loads

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Ok, I'm going to finish out the CargoMax bulkhead this weekend. The way I have it setup now, I'll be able to have 12' 6" for freight when I need 3 skids. I could also set this up in such a way that I would have app. 165" of space when needed. With that, I could carry 4 - 40" x 48" standard skids turned sideways. I've been told that a std skid is 42" x 48". Can anyone clear any of this up for me?

Am I wasting my time trying to fit 4 std skids on the floor?

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I think standard is 48x48. My opinion I would worry about 3 skids only and leave the rest for your area.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
48x48 is the maximum standard size. There is no one, single "standard" pallet size - there are several standards as defined by the ISO.

The most common pallet size in North America is the GMA (Grocery Manufacturers' Association) pallet, which is 40x48, and accounts for more than 30% of the half a billion new wood pallets produced for use in North America each year.

Next up is 42x42, and then 48x48.

Other common sizes are 44x44, 36x36, and 36x48.

In Automotive, the most common is 45x48 and 48x48. For drums, a standard 55-gallon drum is 22.5 inches in diameter (33.5 inches tall), you see a lot of 45x45 pallets used for those.

Incidentally, a 55-gallon drum holds 55 US gallons, which is 46 Imperial gallons, yet the Brits (and many in Canada) refer to them as 44 gallon drums. No one knows why. One barrel of crude oil is 42 gallons.

Also, just as a matter of note, random samplings of pallets regularly show that 10% of wooden pallets and 1.4% of plastic pallets will test positive for as E. coli and/or Listeria. So wash your hands after handling a pallet, and for certain don't be lickin' pallets.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think standard is 48x48. My opinion I would worry about 3 skids only and leave the rest for your area.

My "area" is going to be adjustable.
Current configuration, I'll have:
8' cargo + 6' sleeper
OR:
10' Cargo + 4' sleeper
OR:
12' Cargo + 2' sleeper
OR:
14' Cargo, no sleeper.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
So wash your hands after handling a pallet, and for certain don't be lickin' pallets.
Hey, that might explain this problem I've been havin..... :D

Good info as always. What I'm worrying over is a moot point anyway. Asking about it was useless. I'm sitting here thinking about how I've got it laid out and if I did just go for the 12', the 14' capability would still be right there anyway. So, as usual in these projects, I'm worrying over nothing.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Chances of getting more the 3 skids on the floor is pretty slim..I have had 4 and 6 skids in here , but they have always been 48x48x35 and stackable....I have 13 foot of useable e-track and load floor...you will be fine with 12'6"....

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rocket, you are aware that you'll have to actually put yourself in service and go to work to get any pallets at all in the truck, right?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Chances of getting more the 3 skids on the floor is pretty slim..I have had 4 and 6 skids in here , but they have always been 48x48x35 and stackable....I have 13 foot of useable e-track and load floor...you will be fine with 12'6"....

Yeah, I do actually have a few extra inches on each of those load lengths. Varies from about 4 to 6 depending on the position.

Chris, I will. Mine is fabricated from the rear doors to behind the seats. I wanted a bulkhead behind the bed and movable. It will have some weight to it, so it's not for everyone. So far though with insulation and all of this, I think I'll still be at or under 7,000#. This could be done in a Sprinter. This concept could also be done with less, lighter and cheaper material and just build a folding bed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You could also go down to Home depot or Lowes and grab some pallets from the rear of the building and toss hem in there.

I'm more interested in a picture of Star licking a pallet.

Then again, the way the mind works, it's not much of a journey from "pallet" to "wood" to other euphemistic things, so maybe not.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Also keep in mind that the freight is not always confined to the size of the pallet. It often 'bulges' over the pallet making it less likely to fit. One cannot say that they can handle 4 48X48 pallets even if they do fit in when empty. Shippers don't seem to understand that fact.

As to 'pallet licking', FAR too much information. All this kinda reminds me of one of my high school gym teachers, everything and every one to him was a 'Pot Licker' Must be a similar problem as 'pallet licking'. Maybe a mineral lacking in the system?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My last load was a single 48x48 pallet with the freight hanging off all four sides. 55x55 is what it was. Had to break it down to two skids to get it in the Sprinter. 49 wide is my max.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm more interested in a picture of Star licking a pallet.

Then again, the way the mind works, it's not much of a journey from "pallet" to "wood" to other euphemistic things, so maybe not.

No pictures....please.

As far as the pallets....like I said. It's a non-issue. What Ive got will maximize everything I have available so from that point either it fits or it dont. I'll be about 50-3/4 wide, same as the wheel wells.

Thanks for the input.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Also, just as a matter of note, random samplings of pallets regularly show that 10% of wooden pallets and 1.4% of plastic pallets will test positive for as E. coli and/or Listeria. So wash your hands after handling a pallet, and for certain don't be lickin' pallets.

More incentive to always have a pair of work gloves handy and a bottle of hand sanitizer within reach.