What caused it?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A few nights back catcher Alex Avila got hit in the mask with a foul tip. The pitch was clocked at 96MPH. When the ball hit the mask sparks flew! What I am wondering is what caused the sparks? The ball is leather and lacing on the outside, no metal. It struck the metal on the mask. Was it a sudden release of static from the extreme rotation of the ball? Did the ball cause the metal parts of the mask to move so fast that they created the sparks? I have no idea. It was really COOL to see!!

Sparks fly off Avila's catchers mask

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My guess would be the leather on metal caused a static discharge.

That, or it was just another tribute to George Anderson. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My guess would be the leather on metal caused a static discharge.

That, or it was just another tribute to George Anderson. :D

Funny you should mention "Sparky". I was listening to a baseball "talk show" and the talking head, I don't know his name, said that he believed in "omens" both as a player and in real life.

He said that Detroit is "destined" to win the World Series this season and the sparks off the mask are the omen that proves it. He says that the Tigers are wearing the "Sparky" patch, Sparky died this year and the "sparks" were a "sign" from "Sparky" they they were going to win it all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Baseball players, they are a superstitious bunch. The sparks could also mean they are destined to go down in flames in an early post-season exit at the hands of the Texas RadarRangers or the Bronx Bombers, or get burned by the Brewers, fried by the Phillies, or discharged by the Diamondbacks in the World Series. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Baseball players, they are a superstitious bunch. The sparks could also mean they are destined to go down in flames in an early post-season exit at the hands of the Texas RadarRangers or the Bronx Bombers, or get burned by the Brewers, fried by the Phillies, or discharged by the Diamondbacks in the World Series. :D

Not win the Series? Shocking! The Tigers are electrifying this season. The are charged! They are riding the current! :p

Many in sports are superstitious, baseball players in particular.