credit repair service

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
can you recommend any credit repair service to boost my score? :eek:

Xpediter

Ragman is right, STAY AWAY FROM THOSE PEOPLE.

Best way, use the pay down method. Pay more on the highest until it's gone then the next and so forth. Or even double where possible. If your behind call your creditors and work something out. Do not give your money to someone else to pay for you. You are giving them money you can be giving your creditors.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have past payments due that need paid you would want to look at consumer credit counselors. I think that is the right name, they are non profit make you actually sit and do a budget and other things the paid services do not. They have a very good rating. Be careful a lot of other companies try to make their name sound similar, it is either counselors or counseling not sure which. If your just trying to clean up a record you can do anything a paid company can do yourself. Most things you do will only change your rating for a short time even as short as until the next reporting schedule. Do a little internet research there is a lot of free info on how to dispute reports on your record.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
can you recommend any credit repair service to boost my score? :eek:

Xpediter

Some of the biggest scam artists work in credit repair and credit counseling. The credit repair stuff is a complete scam and it is done illegally by disputing items on your credit report that are legit. The counseling services have all sorts of scum involved as well they collect your money that you pay but they don't pay your bills then they wait until the people you owe will take less but that doesn't mean you pay less. Also a lot of them call and setup payment plans with the companies but this has the same effect on your credit report as going bankrupt. Your best bet is to listen to or read books by financial people like Dave Ramsey or Larry Wingate.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Credit repair is a scam, if you have an error on your report you can have it taken off yourself, you are entitled to a free report(no charge) for each of the three credit bureau. The only thing that can be removed from your report, is errors. Everything else stays on the report. DO NOT PAY someone it is a ripoff

I second the Dave Ramsey advice
go buy the Total Money Makeover!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Read The Total Money Makeover and find Dave Ramsey on the radio. It will do more long term good than a credit repair ripoff company and cost less too.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look for an ASE certified credit mechanic.

ASE.jpg

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
The ADVISE Dave Ramsey gives every day to his listeners is "Don't pay your credit card bills for a couple of years. Then offer 50% or less."
Save or ask for copies of all your statements so you know exactly how much you have spent. Pay what you owe with fair interest. Not the 29+ % they are looking for plus the exaggerated fees.

P.S. The free credit report is a once in twelve month period.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The ADVISE Dave Ramsey gives every day to his listeners is "Don't pay your credit card bills for a couple of years. Then offer 50% or less."
Save or ask for copies of all your statements so you know exactly how much you have spent. Pay what you owe with fair interest. Not the 29+ % they are looking for plus the exaggerated fees.

P.S. The free credit report is a once in twelve month period.

That is not even close to the advice he offers, he tells that to people that already are in that spot and on the verge of bankruptcy. He says to pay your smallest bills first and once they are paid off use that money towards the next bill. When he went bankrupt he owed people and businesses money, after he became wealthy again he went back and paid them all in full.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
IF, your in Bankruptcy. YOU don't "offer" anything. The Bankruptcy court appoints a Trustee. The Trustee tells you just how much you are required to send to the Trustee each month and the Trustee pays who ever is on the list of who you owe.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
IF, your in Bankruptcy. YOU don't "offer" anything. The Bankruptcy court appoints a Trustee. The Trustee tells you just how much you are required to send to the Trustee each month and the Trustee pays who ever is on the list of who you owe.

I used the term "on the verge of bankruptcy". Dave Ramsey doesn't tell people that can pay their debts not to.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Dave Ramsey is a PHONEY. Who became a multi millionaire by telling people DUMB enough to buy his books or attend his seminars. Don't spend more then you earn.
P.T. Barnum is probably his Idol.:p

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Dave Ramsey is a PHONEY. Who became a multi millionaire by telling people DUMB enough to buy his books or attend his seminars. Don't spend more then you earn.
P.T. Barnum is probably his Idol.:p

How can you be a phoney if it works? Plus, you don't have to buy his books, you can go to the library or listen to the radio which is free or go to his website.
Yes you can buy the book, and go to financial peace university, but most of what he teaches can be found for free!!!
And yes, he is rich from selling this stuff.
Ain't America Great!!!:)
Oh, and yes his system is common sense, but most Americans don't use common sense(including me) why would you sign up for a credit card with 25% interest or buy a new car that drops half in value over the first two years etc etc

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
"Oh, Oh! Mr. Ramsey. What can I do?. I bought this house for 110% of it Appraised value. On a Non verifiable income loan. On top of that my unemployment extensions may run out in 2012. After five years I cant find anyone new to sell my Food Stamps too.
Now a very nice Company that sent me a piece of plastic with three pages of information with it. That said I had five thousand dollars of credit because I'm such a nice guy. So I called two friends to help get me off the couch, and we spent it at Tattoo parlours and Strip clubs.
Now if you can believe it. They want me to honor my obligations! What ever shall I do?"

"My son. I'm sure your a good Christian just like myself. Ignore it. Wait for a couple of years. Then offer 50% or less on the dollar. Bless you. If you don't understand, send $30.00 cash only and I'll send you a book on how to beat them out of the money you have been fronted.":p:D

Reactions: crich

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Don't spend more then you earn.[/FONT]

Easiest way I know. While some people I know got hit out of left field with job loss, etc., most of them were living beyond their means in the first place. Hold steady, don't look for an easy/quick fix because their isn't one, and get used to a whole new simpler lifestyle while you dig yourself out. Once above ground again, keep living the simpler life. It pays off.

I don't know the backstory of this case, so I am not passing judgment on how their situation occurred...but getting out is the same no matter.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Well, we hate to buck the trend here but the facts are that at least one credit repair company did what it said it would do, which was to increase my credit score "more than 50 points within two months". How they did it was simple, and that may be why some think it's a scam, I dunno. Of course none of these folks want you to know how to do it but I learned the trick accidentally when one of their dispute letters was returned to me because of a bad address. They simply send a dispute letter to each of your negative accounts and to each of your credit inquiries that state the magic words, "this is not my account". Presto! Within two months my credit score went up 67 points, on average at each of the 3 credit reporting agencies. It made a huge difference and cost me more than it should so here's the secret. Now each of you that actually use my advice, please sent me $100 when it works. Then you can avoid the $1000 plus the credit repair folks typically charge. :D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well, we hate to buck the trend here but the facts are that at least one credit repair company did what it said it would do, which was to increase my credit score "more than 50 points within two months". How they did it was simple, and that may be why some think it's a scam, I dunno. Of course none of these folks want you to know how to do it but I learned the trick accidentally when one of their dispute letters was returned to me because of a bad address. They simply send a dispute letter to each of your negative accounts and to each of your credit inquiries that state the magic words, "this is not my account". Presto! Within two months my credit score went up 67 points, on average at each of the 3 credit reporting agencies. It made a huge difference and cost me more than it should so here's the secret. Now each of you that actually use my advice, please sent me $100 when it works. Then you can avoid the $1000 plus the credit repair folks typically charge. :D

You do realize this is fraud and it is illegal.