Heading to Panther

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have always had my lead drivers pick their team mates.I once had two guys fighting,they were sent to jail,and I had to go to a small town in Indiana to bail them out,and they were supose to have been close friends.As was said,living in a truck,24/7 is nothing like you have ever done before
make sure whom ever you work for has a contract,or you could be workingfor free.HAz MAt,you need it,you will miss a lot of loads without it,this is expedite,the more your able to do,the busier you will be,sitting for days,spending money you dont have.will make you wish you either had the HAz MAt or wish you nevr got into this in the first place

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Gotta start somewhere,Panther was only one who approved me.I don't want to get the hazmat so fedex cc out of the question.Main goal of my is to get some experience see how it works out and maybe buy my own truck.

Right gotta start somewhere. And again like you if I dont like it I can go else where. And at first I wanted to wait to get my Hazmat, but in order to get a class C CDL I either have to get a passenger endorcement, then find a 15 passenger vehicle to take my road test in, or do the Hazmat endorcement. Hazmat makes more sense to get lol.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What cracks me up is that Panther requires a CDL, even for cargo vans, and the only way to get a CDL for a cargo van is go get an endorsement... that Panther will never let you use.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I've been there since 99 [Panther] and with all the changes,there's still no hauling hazmat in vans [over 1001 pounds] at least now i don't think it's required.It is for me cause that's how i keep my CDL with having to rent a trk to get the air brakes endorsment.I was told again this was yrs ago that if hazmat can up under 1000 they would always put it on a driver with the hazmat endorsment.I've haul my share of paint [under a 1000] in my time with them,just wonder if they put on vans without there hazmat.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've been there since 99 [Panther] and with all the changes,there's still no hauling hazmat in vans [over 1001 pounds] at least now i don't think it's required.It is for me cause that's how i keep my CDL with having to rent a trk to get the air brakes endorsment.I was told again this was yrs ago that if hazmat can up under 1000 they would always put it on a driver with the hazmat endorsment.I've haul my share of paint [under a 1000] in my time with them,just wonder if they put on vans without there hazmat.
The reason for not putting placardable HAZMAT (Table 2 greater than 1000 pounds or Table 1 in any amount) onto a van is that the van instantly becomes a CMV, which means logging, and since most van drivers don't know how to properly log, and a scale house will tag Panther for a logging violations, it's easier to just stick the load onto a vehicle which logs everyday.

It may very well be that they will only put non-placardable HAZMAT (for lack of a better term, i.e., Table 2 less-than 1001 pounds) onto a van where the driver has the endorsement. If they do, then it's to keep things simple for the dispatchers, and/or because they don't really understand what HAZMAT is. I've had them call me and go over the HAZMAT checklist for a single 5-gallon bucket of paint. They think it's HAZMAT. Same thing with a skid of Group 31 truck batteries. They think it's HAZMAT.

Using that logic and mode of thinking, they may think that you need a HAZMAT endorsement to haul non-HAZMAT if it's one of those Table 2 materials under 1001 pounds. I even had one guy in Safety, who is supposed to know this stuff, tell me to my face that it's illegal to haul in a van any material requiring placards. Either he really doesn't know his job and he was just parroting what someone else who didn't know their job told him to say, or he thought I was just another moron van driver who would go, "Oh, OK." Instead I just laughed and walked away. I had another guy in Safety, who is supposed to know this stuff, tell me the only HAZMAT you can haul in a van is paint, but only if it's less than 1000 pounds. I laughed at him, too. So there ya go, that's what we're dealing with.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Hello all,I just been approve by Panther and be driving for a o/o.I have few questions I hope you can answer.I have done lot of reading and seams to me team trucks more more in compare to solo truck.My first question is that true?The o/o i'm going be driving for prefer the truck run as a team truck.So my next question is should I find a teammate before I pick up the truck?My next question is,i'm currently living in Florida but i'm from PA,I have heard there not much going on in Florida,so would it be my best interest to move back north east,(PA)?Also last question is,what else should I know about Panther?Any input would be great.Thanks

Wow congrats Laredo awaits you with the other panther drivers ;-)

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Well it is a great time of year to sit down there in a tin can sauna.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

You bet no better diet than sweating it off as you sleep at truck stop LOL and I always hear panther drivers say they sit 5 to 10 days insanity I say !

Never forget my 1st trip to Laredo I was dispatched out 2 hours after unloading with a panther load and 5 panther vans were sitting around me LOL I shut up got the load and hit the road. Never even asked why the load went on the panther load board heck load paid my cv at the time .85 cpm so pay wasn't to bad from laredo to columbus, oh.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Never even asked why the load went on the panther load board heck load paid my cv at the time .85 cpm so pay wasn't to bad from laredo to columbus, oh.

I'm sure it had nothing to due with how much money Panther could make off of it given the slow freight. Of course when you want 7 CV's for every load you aren't concerned with how much a driver makes. I always laugh when companies use the phrase if you aren't making money we aren't making money, really? If I my van gets repossessed do you go under? If I sit waiting for loads so much and my house is foreclosed on do you lose your house? Oh you really mean if I am not making money you are not making money off of me but you have plenty of others so you don't care.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I Agree I have said the same thing for a long time that is why I got into itr with many different expediting companies when I started expediting hearing that stupid phrase. It's like this ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER. But Heck now after being in the industry a few years I see what the mess is. Everybody wants to have their own expedited company.

The best one I had in the industry so far was one idiot I was leased to owed me over $4500 and the jerk says sorry I can't pay you yet I have bills to pay seriously man and I dont have bills to pay LOL what A loser I am happy to see him in the bad position he is in at the moment with his company he deserves it after trying to weasel out of paying drivers. No I won't say who he is but he will read this and he knows who he is LOL.

I just wish more drivers would stand up for them self like I do I have a 0 bs policy they give me bs I say no way.

LIke getting a 180 mile run on a friday to a dead area from a good spot lol no way that was when I was a rookie now I say ok 180 miles its friday and a dead delivery area $400 minimum and funny thing is they have paid that a few times and sometimes even more.

Point is stand up for your small company that is what your truck or cv or sprinter is YOUR COMPANY !!! Make the money.

best of luck everyone and god bless

Ian

I'm sure it had nothing to due with how much money Panther could make off of it given the slow freight. Of course when you want 7 CV's for every load you aren't concerned with how much a driver makes. I always laugh when companies use the phrase if you aren't making money we aren't making money, really? If I my van gets repossessed do you go under? If I sit waiting for loads so much and my house is foreclosed on do you lose your house? Oh you really mean if I am not making money you are not making money off of me but you have plenty of others so you don't care.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The best one I had in the industry so far was one idiot I was leased to owed me over $4500 and the jerk says sorry I can't pay you yet I have bills to pay seriously man and I dont have bills to pay LOL what A loser I am happy to see him in the bad position he is in at the moment with his company he deserves it after trying to weasel out of paying drivers. No I won't say who he is but he will read this and he knows who he is LOL.

If you stayed around long enough for him to owe you $4500, I don't think he's the idiot.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
If you stayed around long enough for him to owe you $4500, I don't think he's the idiot.

That was 1 weeks worth of work davenport to utah and then utah to missouri. and after that week I left the loser. I didn't get paid until 1.5 months later.

BTW: This carrier has burned a few others off of this site as well. I won't say his name or company name at all. I just pray he stops trying to live off of drivers earnings. As a matter of fact I got a email from some other driver other day no clue who the guy is complaining that this company owes him money and they do not answer calls now. That is what happened to me he owed me money and then wouldnt answer calls. Sad very sad and the man runs around saying how much of a man of god he is but then he steals from drivers sad.

Last edited:

armin88

Expert Expediter
Re: Heading to Panther Update 6/9

Well I was in talks with an owner but turns out he wanted me to pay fuel,but here the kicker,he was paying 45% for under 3,000 miles and 55% over 3,000 miles.I believe there was another thread about this posted by another member.Well I know that if I pay fuel,I should get a min.of 60% plus keep 100% fsc,correct??? Any how I wasn't to thrill about paying for fuel but I wouldn't mine now as long I get 60%.Also i'm having such a hard time finding a truck to drive!I thought maybe I live in Fl but i'm willing to relocate to eastern PA if I have too.I'm from PA anyway and was planing to move back home to PA but I just can't find a truck!:mad:I open to teaming which I prefer for know since I new to this business but my phone an't ringing.So does any one has any idea what may be the issue???Help!