FL Cascadia Revisited 2011 models

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
I have been keeping my eye on these trucks for some time. I knew when they first came out there were issues especially with a new model motor DD15 and a new truck design all together. I heard things have improved with these since they first came out.

I am looking to get an E unit, can anyone say anything good or bad about these?

I am also interested in the engines..ISX or 60 series are good proven motors. Heard the DD15 has most of the kinks worked out and people seem to like them. Anyone running the DD13? We use to have a 12.7 L DD and it was a good little motor that was great on fuel when they made them. The DD13 is a 12.8, wonder if it's a little under powered for an E unit?

I am also debating on going 10 or 13 speed?

Thanks...

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Henry Albert has a lot blogged on the Freightliner Cascadia and the DD15 and you can send him questions directly on how this truck is working for him.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know of a large fleet that runs these.I have always been a big fan of the series 60 and detroit invested something like 1.5 in the dd15 and when you look at the comparison table it looks even better.

NEW vs OLD
DD15 SERIES 60
TYPE Inline-six-cylinder Inline-six-cylinder
DISPLACEMENT 906 ci (14.8L) 858 ci (14.0L)
BORE X STROKE (IN) 5.47 x 6.42 5.17 x 6.61
COMPRESSION RATIO 18.4:1 17.0:1
TURBO(S) Dual fixed/ Single variable
HEAD MATERIAL Compacted graphite iron Cast iron
BLOCK MATERIAL Cast iron Cast iron
POWER 560 hp at 1,800 rpm 515 hp at 1,800 rpm
TORQUE 1,850 lb-ft at 1,100 rpm 1,650 lb-ft at 1,100 rpm
EXHAUST BRAKE 575 hp N/A
WEIGHT 2,970 lbs. 2,557 lbs.
B50 LIFE 1.2 million miles 850,000 miles

Seasoned Expediter
I have a dd15 in a 2011 cascadia. Not real happy with this unit. In general my next truck will be t700 kenworth my brother has his i drove this truck for one week last week very impressed with this truck.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
I have a dd15 in a 2011 cascadia. Not real happy with this unit. In general my next truck will be t700 kenworth my brother has his i drove this truck for one week last week very impressed with this truck.

Can you pls be more specific as far as your complaints?

I knew the Cascadias had issues a few years ago when they came out. I have heard good things about the DD15, better MPH and more power.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it was built within the last several years, it has all the pollution stuff on it. Combining that with much of the service we have experienced with some of the Freightliners, it could be a wicked combo. Alot of their mechanics are totally lost on these things or they have one and you either wait for days, or go somewhere else.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
He may be able to make some cash selling lucky charms. Think I would check some additional sources as well. If someone is getting invited to dealership grand openings, that would make me pause at least for a moment.

Last edited:

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
I wouldn't go through Freightliner because i do agree with you, they have to have the worst service of any major manufacturer out there.

So aside from that, still having major issues with the DD15 motor?

Seasoned Expediter
First of all im not out to sell or take a kick back from freightliner. The truck seems tempermental at times fuel mileage is ok not lilke the freightliner sponsored drivers claim. I have talked to real drivers and we all are in agreement about this truck. Mine is a 2011 dd15. As posted techs are confused with these trucks. I would not buy another cascadia. To many problems to describe. This truck is functional but far from what freightliner people say. You might get a good unit but kind out doubt it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
First of all im not out to sell or take a kick back from freightliner. The truck seems tempermental at times fuel mileage is ok not lilke the freightliner sponsored drivers claim. I have talked to real drivers and we all are in agreement about this truck. Mine is a 2011 dd15. As posted techs are confused with these trucks. I would not buy another cascadia. To many problems to describe. This truck is functional but far from what freightliner people say. You might get a good unit but kind out doubt it.

Thanks,
Your post speaks volumes and confirms what other folks have said that have that same vehicle. We gave them a brief consideration but just too many problems to fool with.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I posted how you can talk to Henry who is a driver first and foremost. He has access to a lot of information and is more than willing to talk about that engine. Henry has access to Detroit and the engineers which most people do not.

We have talked to Henry enough to know what that truck has been doing as well as his last truck. He can and will tell you the plusses and the minuses of the truck and the motor. Send him a message through his blog if you want give him your phone number he will call you.

We have been watching what has happened with him and with the other drivers and the DD13 will be our next motor and the Cascadia will be our next truck.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't go through Freightliner because i do agree with you, they have to have the worst service of any major manufacturer out there.

So aside from that, still having major issues with the DD15 motor?

A friend of mine who owns a mid size carrier has all Freight- liners.
They order 35 new ones this year. F/liner delivered them all within week of dead line. The only problem was all were wrong color. They refused delivery, F-liners response, we knew they were wrong but we figured to give you another 2k discount on ea unit. They still refused shipment and now are looking into another brand. This was a $3 million dollar order. If they snub that kind of order, how do you think you measure up with 1 unit?:eek:

Seasoned Expediter
The company i work for has 29 company drivers. They are slowly switching to dd15 cascadias 2012 units they have 4 replaced as of today with all others on hold. This is alot of money we are talking about i dont know how much but this will tell you a little something about the famous dd15 cascadia.