Now for winter, keeping warm

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Years ago, there used to be a product, don't know what it was called, that would plug into your cigarette lighter and warm the inside of your passenger car or pickup just enough so snow, freezing rain, or frost would melt from your windshield if it was parked overnight. I guess keeping the heating capacity down kept the energy draw down. Is anyone familiar with this or a similar product that can warm the interior a bit? I don't need a lot of heat. In fact, I just need a little, so idling the engine with the heater on really provides too much, even if I set it at a low level. At 4 am, I find myself hot. So I need just a little bit.

I also wonder about using electric blankets. I know my dog will appreciate it if I go inside for a while. How much power will it draw, plugged into an inverter? I think my inverter is 350 watts.

Any other way to warm the interior just a bit? I guess ideal would be something that plugs into the cigarette lighter and charges itself, has some storage capacity and then you disconnect it and run it while stopped.

Jeeper

Seasoned Expediter
Have you looked inside major chain store truck stops? They sell a product thats for keeping your vehicle warm to keep fog, frost, snow, etc from your windsheild. Would probably do good to in a vehicle while sleeping in the winter or maybe add two and get up every 4-5 hours to crank the vehicle to re-charge some batterys? Im gonna try it this year to see how it does. Last winter if I didnt idle I would freeze. My -20 sleeping just isnt cutting it. I freeze my butt off when the weather is in the 40's.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Kinda getting into a safety issue too. How can you get proper rest if you have to get up every few hours to charge batteries? What are you wearing while in that -25 sleeping bag that you are cold at 40 above? Is it a QUALITY bag? If you are wearing cotton it will make you cold. Cotton is NOT good for winter wear. ANY cotton. Cotton holds moisture and we humans cool by evaporation. Holding your sweat against your skin (we ALWAYS sweat) speeds up the cooling process. Seems to me you need to come up with a more suitable method of keeping warm.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Kinda getting into a safety issue too. How can you get proper rest if you have to get up every few hours to charge batteries? What are you wearing while in that -25 sleeping bag that you are cold at 40 above? Is it a QUALITY bag? If you are wearing cotton it will make you cold. Cotton is NOT good for winter wear. ANY cotton. Cotton holds moisture and we humans cool by evaporation. Holding your sweat against your skin (we ALWAYS sweat) speeds up the cooling process. Seems to me you need to come up with a more suitable method of keeping warm.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I remember as a boy scout, we were told the best thing to do when using a sleeping bag was to wear just your skivies.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Properties of Soapstone

Find a way to heat it while your running and something like this may work. Not sure how big of a slab ya would need but it does hold heat for hours after ya remove the heat source.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I sleep in a good -25 sleeping bag, in ony a pair of under armor gym shorts and nothing else..the bag keeps the body heat in and works great...now when it get really cold outside, i do use the big buddyto get the air warm....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I sleep in a good -25 sleeping bag, in ony a pair of under armor gym shorts and nothing else..the bag keeps the body heat in and works great...now when it get really cold outside, i do use the big buddyto get the air warm....

So my boy scout memory is correct?

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I use a buddy heater with a 20 lb propane tank lasts about a week refill is only about $20, the Sprinter did not have any insulation last winter but did put some insulation in now on the roof and upper part of side walls still have to get around to finishing more insulation on the lower half of the walls so hopefully will get better results this year with the buddy heater

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I use a buddy heater with a 20 lb propane tank lasts about a week refill is only about $20, the Sprinter did not have any insulation last winter but did put some insulation in now on the roof and upper part of side walls still have to get around to finishing more insulation on the lower half of the walls so hopefully will get better results this year with the buddy heater

You guys with the heaters scare me. I know alot of ya use em.
Just remember the more air tight ya get the truck the more fresh air ya gotta get in there..Be careful this winter.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm...how do you do this? Are these the same kind of propane tanks you would use for a propane grill, same size and everything? This doesn't sound safe to me.

Jeeper

Seasoned Expediter

No not really? I mean sleep for 4 hours wake up crank er up go back to bed if you like or sit up for a little bit and shut it off and go back to bed . I done that all summer with my fans. I would get up every 4 hours. Crank it up cool it off and in 15 minutes I would shut it off and go back to bed till I get back up. I rarely sleep over 8 hours at a time so it worked out for me ?? Didnt feel all groggy or anything. But for the sleeping bag in the 40 degree sleeping bag nothing but a tshirt and my undies. In winter when its colder I wore long johns or sweat pants. The brand is coleman so im pretty sure thats a good brand?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmm...how do you do this? Are these the same kind of propane tanks you would use for a propane grill, same size and everything? This doesn't sound safe to me.

Why Not? RV's have propane tanks... a lot of us have them...beats buying all them 1Lb cylinders..it is expensive that way...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why Not? RV's have propane tanks... a lot of us have them...beats buying all them 1Lb cylinders..it is expensive that way...

Yeah but many don't get the fact that RV mounted tanks are on the OUTSIDE of the vehicle, not on the inside. Even the tank lockers are sealed so they vent to the outside.

You can refill those one pounders from a 20 pound tank. You need the adapter, some dry ice and a cooler oh and a scale. You will never get one full pound in them if you don't freeze the container.

Driving around with a big honking tank and heater that produces a lot of CO2, seems a little too much for the safety minded. BUT again, to each their own.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No not really? I mean sleep for 4 hours wake up crank er up go back to bed if you like or sit up for a little bit and shut it off and go back to bed . I done that all summer with my fans. I would get up every 4 hours. Crank it up cool it off and in 15 minutes I would shut it off and go back to bed till I get back up. I rarely sleep over 8 hours at a time so it worked out for me ?? Didnt feel all groggy or anything. But for the sleeping bag in the 40 degree sleeping bag nothing but a tshirt and my undies. In winter when its colder I wore long johns or sweat pants. The brand is coleman so im pretty sure thats a good brand?

Lose that cotton tee shirt. If you HAVE to wear something wear a man made material that wicks. Check your long johns, most likely cotton. The sweats are. Cotton makes you cold. Coleman is only OK. I have one I use for indoor use only. There are much better bags out there. They cost more than Coleman.

Here is one link where you can find better things more suited to what you are trying to do.

REI

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Lose that cotton tee shirt. If you HAVE to wear something wear a man made material that wicks. Check your long johns, most likely cotton. The sweats are. Cotton makes you cold. Coleman is only OK. I have one I use for indoor use only. There are much better bags out there. They cost more than Coleman.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
There are much better bags out there. They cost more than Coleman.

If ya dont mind a few feathers floating around your truck,dont forget the waterfowl (Down) filled bags and blankets. Really comfortable to sleep in for me.
Works great for early winter sleeping even well into the winter.
With these no need to idle until ya become scared the truck wont start.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
to
Yeah but many don't get the fact that RV mounted tanks are on the OUTSIDE of the vehicle, not on the inside. Even the tank lockers are sealed so they vent to the outside.

You can refill those one pounders from a 20 pound tank. You need the adapter, some dry ice and a cooler oh and a scale. You will never get one full pound in them if you don't freeze the container.

Driving around with a big honking tank and heater that produces a lot of CO2, seems a little too much for the safety minded. BUT again, to each their own.

A 1 lb can might last you one night? so almost have to refill every day and to do that the way you describe would have to carry more stuff scale, adapter,etc no way easier just carry one 20 lb tank and only refill about once a week i have it wrapped in a furniture blanket and sitting on top of the wheel well strapped with cargo strap to the wall, as far as the CO2 i open the roof vent a little and crack open the driver/passenger windows and the heater will shut off if the oxygen level get s to low

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
C02 is not a problem with a cataylic heater....I have a monitor..it does not move.....
If you THINK your van is sealed..just sit in -50 weather and you'll quickly learn just where all the leaks are....Oxygen in a sprinter is not a concern....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
C02 is not a problem with a cataylic heater....I have a monitor..it does not move.....
If you THINK your van is sealed..just sit in -50 weather and you'll quickly learn just where all the leaks are....Oxygen in a sprinter is not a concern....

The C02 monitor is a must. Yes, oxygen IS a concern. My cousin found 4 of his friends DEAD in a van with a catalytic heater. It was NOT sealed, just factory. Many have died in tents with these heaters too. Attention MUST be paid.