Hindsight about Expediting

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinpopusa

Seasoned Expediter
Ahhh.. If someone had told me back in the early 90's..
.. That I'd be making a LOWER CPM rate
.. That I'd be running shorter loads on average
.. That I'd be HAPPY about gas temporarily being less than 2 bucks a gallon
.. That I'd be getting the same DH rate as I did then, despite operating costs doubling
.. That 50 bucks MIGHT get me a clean motel room,
.. That 50 bucks might get me an American operated one
.. That the rich would need a "loan" from the govt, before I'd ever get one

I wonder what'd I'd say to them?

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
It's all over people!:D So, please quit the biz so my load count can increase >wink<!

I was thinking the same thing. Don't tell anyone though cause I don't want anyone thinking I am wanting to live off the distress of others, you know like an attorney or something.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I was thinking the same thing. Don't tell anyone though cause I don't want anyone thinking I am wanting to live off the distress of others, you know like an attorney or something.

Or a doctor, dentist or Beno salesperson.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Ahhh.. If someone had told me back in the early 90's..
.. That I'd be making a LOWER CPM rate
.. That I'd be running shorter loads on average
.. That I'd be HAPPY about gas temporarily being less than 2 bucks a gallon
.. That I'd be getting the same DH rate as I did then, despite operating costs doubling
.. That 50 bucks MIGHT get me a clean motel room,
.. That 50 bucks might get me an American operated one
.. That the rich would need a "loan" from the govt, before I'd ever get one

I wonder what'd I'd say to them?

The facts are slightly different because of the time frame, but six years ago when Diane and I started researching the expediting industry, a number of experienced expediters complained bitterly about increased competition, less money, fewer loads, more restrictions, higher costs, etc. Anyone researching the industry with even one eye open should be able to gain a balanced view.

Diesel sold at $1.25 a gallon when we started. Had someone told me then it would reach $5.00, I may not have believed them. But sure enough, a nasty fuel price surprise laid in store. Still, we found our way through, as you have and as many will find their way through the surprises of the day.

criticalmass

Seasoned Expediter
If there were not any challenges in life or business to overcome you would not be living your dream or reaching your goals. I have a poster that says "EVEN IF YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK, YOU'LL GET RUN OVER IF YOU JUST SIT THERE"

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have owned ans still own several businesses. 1 that i recently closed and will liqudate shortly was a fitness center. Yhat business boomed for a while and is still predicted to be a great business. It is full of pitfalls, and i can complain just as people in this business for whatever reason, but! I just took the knock, locked the doors , put all of the equipment in storage and laid off the employees.

If you ain't happy, move on! Find the next thing that works for you. I can not see whining and pizzing an moaning about what once was and what is and complaining on a ongoing basis, lifes too short!

PS: If anyone would like to start a fitness center, i have over $75,000 equipment at wholesale prices for sale!!! Most is 2 yrs old some newer!!

PSS: i've never asked our government for any type of **** loan in any of my business ventures, if it fails, its on me, no one else!

twinpopusa

Seasoned Expediter
Man, people see things in a negative light sometimes, on these forums. I was just making an observation. Some think that is pizzing and moaning? I didn't state my opinion, just facts. All in good clean fun... I love expediting, I'm hooked, and I'd rather do nothing else, actually. And I, too hope that some people quit. Unfortunately, there are too many people who DON'T love this profession, and who do "pizz and moan" in Flying J lots. You must be confusing me with one of those. Touchy people here!! Lighten up..

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Or a doctor, dentist or Beno salesperson.

Ha, I was not thinking about Diane when I said that. I am so politically incorrect. You did not complain, so apparently you were not offended.

I try to think of everything as funny so as not to start crying.

twinpopusa

Seasoned Expediter
Haha, trucking forums are not for the easily offended!!! Especially in these times. Ever forward!! Semper Fi!! Go Speed Racer!!! :p :eek::rolleyes: Ahh, the Vicodin is working now..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.