Truck Decal Removal

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone have any magical method to remove company logos, markings etc. from the box and sleeper on a straight truck? Any help will be appreciated.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How I did mine: I have a Friend that runs a Body Shop he used what is called a Erasier it's made by 3-M it fits into a Drill it takes The Sticky Residue off and leave the Paint intact. then a Quick Buff and Wax it looks Like New Again

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I burned up one of Rene's hair dryers getting the decals off one side of a van. Another time, I parked in the sun on a hot summer day and with a lot of elbow grease and a couple of broken finger nails, I got the job done. My most successful experience was with the use of a propane torch. I wave the torch a few inches away from the vinyl letters to heat them just enough to easily peel them away. Don't let the letters wrinkle and melt or the mess is worse than the cure.

Don't pay any attention to the driver that tells you to spray ether over the signs and set them alight.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you use a propane torch as Terry suggested put a wide shield over the tip that will defuse the flame. Otherwise buy or rent an electric heat gun. Use either heat source in conjunction with a plastic scraper or gentle scraping with a metal putty knife. After the removal of the decals, wipe with Goo Gone to remove any residue.

Decals on FRP boxes tend to imprint after a year or so of sun. I don't think there is a remedy for that short of painting.

Have fun! I know I didn't.

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone so far for your imput. I have removed lettering with a blow dryer and a heat gun with relative ease (though somewhat time consuming)but have not tried the big logos. I did some internet searching and came up with a product that they claim at least, removes large graffix. You wipe on, wait up to 15 minutes and you are supposed to be able to pull the vinyl off in 2-3' sections. I found a place about an hour from home that is supposed to sell this product but as of now do not know the cost. Will find out tomorrow. Well gotta go, thanks again.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
There are two products you can use to get the adhesive off. First is called Goo Gone and is citrus based, won't harm the paint but takes a little more work to remove the glue. The other is call Goof Off and is substantially stronger and faster but can damage paint if left on too long - most times you can get away with it because it works so fast, just be sure to wipe it off quickly.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
My husband pulled stickers off a box today. He used his
finger nails and pulled them off. The ones he had trouble with
he put a rag soaked in HOT water on them to loosen them up.
Took him a couple hours and his fingers were hurting when
he got thru. Was the Fed Ex Logo.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I guess I got lucky. When I went independent and went to remove the company stickers from my Sprinter, I just parked in the sun and used my bare hands. It took me about ten minutes for each one. I made my own signs magnetic.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
it was 40 deg outside decals were on for 2.5 years (panther) used heat gun on low setting..and a plastic putty knife (3 inch) it took an hour to pull off the decals, used goo gone extreme in a aerosol can to remove the sticky residue...that took a couple hours because it evaporates..no harm done to the paint..then i used a polishing compound to lightly buff it out...

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
Thanks again everyone. Decided to pay the standard $400 to remove to save aggrivation but now having second thoughts. Air freshener?? Well, maybe it worth a try.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
goo off is the best,it will relax the glue,goof off is best for grafitti,but after you will need to acid wash the box,and have them brush it too.sides will be brighter than new

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I just started removing my decals yesterday. Since I know my termination date, I'm removing everything in stages. I'll save the legally required numbers on the doors for last. At the rate I'm going this is probably about a two hour job. Surprisingly the vinyl is coming off easily. The time consuming part is all the text--ontime, everytime, anywhere..., www....iso certified... for a good time dial 1-800-... Probably helps that the decals have been on for only one year. I'm just using a plastic putty knife to save wear in my fingernails. Lift a corner with the putty knife and the rest of the section comes off in one piece. I think any good carcinogenic chemical will be good for removing the residue. I'm going to be using a product called turpinoid natural since I already have it in bulk. It's a less harsh turpentine substitute. Also--on a sunny day, wear your sunglasses to avoid something similar to snow blindness.

eb

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
When I was removing the last of the decals today, another driver stopped by to view my work. He considers himself an expert in removing decals, because he worked for seven companies last year alone. He suggested using a hand-held halogen work lamp if the sun wasn't warm enough to soften the glue.

eb

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Went to Meijers and purchased a heat/paint removing gun by Wagner, cost of $22.00. Worked WONDERS in removing the decals. I need to try to Goo Off for the residue.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I peeled the kitty from my van using a 6inch scale. (machinists' ruler). Used a sharpening stone to smooth the burrs off the end, used the scale instead of thumb nail, grabbed the small portion peeled back with a pair of mini pliers and off they came.