Hazmat ?

Ange5670

Seasoned Expediter
I keep seeing a lot about Hazmat. I have my CDL-A license and I'm wondering if adding Hazmat wouldn't be a good idea and does the Hazmat make a difference with different companies?

I'm looking at straight trucks and just asking because I would hate to get unloaded some place and then have to just sit or deadhead a bunch of miles because the only load/s going out was Hazmat.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hazmat is a good thing to have, IMO, even if your carrier doesn't haul placarded hazmat - you still need the endorsement to have any on board. The more qualifications you have, the more loads you're eligible for, so why not?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Good answer! Good answer!

Survey says.........

Additional endorsement, more opportunity.

The increased revenue from just one load of Hazmat will almost cover the expense of getting the endorsement and it could get you moving on a board that is heavy with trucks.

I have been number four on a particular board and got the call for a decent run because the three units in front of me did not have a Hazmat endorsement.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As mentioned, if you have hazmat the potential pool of jobs is larger. At times you will go ahead of other trucks because you have it. At times you'll get moving sooner. The downside is the hassles to get it and the nuisances following hazmat routes at times.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Getting it is a bit less of a hassle if you preregister at ExpeditersOnline.com Expedited Trucking Owner Operator Careers and Truck Sales - you can pay online, and get fingerprinted at any location in the US (listed on the website), then take the test at your home BMV, as soon as you get the letter saying you're not a threat, lol. Oh - if you're in a truck, you have no way of knowing if the fingerprint site has truck parking, and they don't include phone numbers, so take care.

Ange5670

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, cool thanks for the answers.. kinda what I was already thinking.. better to have more then not enough..

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Crazy, since the Original Poster specified straight truck, wasn't any reason to mention logging rules for a van.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'll desent (seems to be a habit lately). If you're going to be with a company that hauls it, you might as well get it. If not, then don't worry yourself. You can always go back and get it if you change companies. But keep this in mind... it USUALLY pays no more than a regular load. For the extra hassles that can and sometimes do happen, that don't cut it for me. Yes, you may get a load sooner than expected, but you encourage companies not to share the wealth; for they surely get a larger profit from YOU hauling a hazardous load.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
But keep this in mind... it USUALLY pays no more than a regular load.

That depends on the arrangement you have with your carrier. I know for a fact that we have been paid more for HAZMAT loads than non HAZMAT. One recent example made that crystal clear. We arrived at a pickup to discover that a load that was not booked HAZMAT actually was HAZMAT. Whenb we notified dispatch of that (before loading the freight), upward adjusted pay was immediatly sent out.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Yes that happened to us also and we received a whole $21.00 more! to haul a Hazmat
chemical load. But what the heck.. FedEx requires you have Hazmat..I don't believe it's
an option.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That's why I put USUALLY in caps, Phil.

FXCC would end up being the exception to USUALLY.

Are you saying Panther does not pay extra for HAZMAT loads? What about Landstar? I thought, perhaps wrongly so, that all the major carriers pay extra for HAZMAT. As I think about his, I have no basis to believe it, it was just an assumption I made. Is the assumption wrong?

Panther, Landstar Express America, Tri State and others; do they pay extra for HAZMAT loads?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Of course, I am not a "Professional" trucker, simply because I drive a cargo van, :D but when I load a 55 gallon barrel of solvent, which happens on a fairly regular basis...cha ching...add $81.25 to my bottom line for that load.

Last week I got a HAZMAT offer:

237 miles at... $189.60

FSC at.......... $ 82.92

HAZMAT at.... $ 81.25

Need I say more?

Of course, what do I know...I am not a "Professional" trucker...just a lowly cargo van owner. :rolleyes:

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
that is correct Panther does not pay extra for regular hazmat loads,however everything is
Negotiable, depends on wethern other haz mat drivers are available in the area.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If your going for a Haz-Mat endorsement wouldn't it make more sense to pass your test before you pay $90.00 or so to be finger printed?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sure it would, Bearcat, but I don't think they'll allow you to take the test until you have the letter...

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Sure it would, Bearcat, but I don't think they'll allow you to take the test until you have the letter...
I think it varies by state but I know in KY you must pass the background check before taking the test . In the CMV Drivers manual they have several statements put in boxes with the words " THIS MAY BE ON THE TEST " . The test is multiple choice on a machine .