New DOT physical qualifications start May 21st

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not in the regulations. It's only in the Guidelines for Physicians. If the particular examiner feels you need a stress test, or a sleep test, in order to sign off on you being physically able to perform the job, he can require it. The Medical Advisory Board that comes up with these guidelines is of course comprised of doctors who specialize or are financially vested in things like sleep apnea clinics and stress test facilities.

Yep....If you meet any or all or any combination of medical issues....A Dr, can be held responsible for letting someone go untested....some of my Dr. buddies are NOT offering certifications because of the liability issues...
http://nrcme.fmcsa.dot.gov/mehandbook/about_391.43_ep.aspx
FMCSA Medical Examiner Handbook
Part III - Medical Examination Guidelines

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
thing once you fail and come under the 1 year renewal....you'll need both the stress and sleep test every year to renew....your looking at over 3g's a year....

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Look guys.

Ford has a new 3 skid van.
Dodge has a new 3 skid van.
CargoMax has been out several years.
Sprinters have been out what, alm 10?
There's a ton of cutaways out there.

This is obviously a ploy by manufacturers to kick start getting the long-van market kicked off in a BIG way.
Force the shortage of regulated trucks.
Force the splitting of expedite loads.
Force the filling of long-van capacity.
Force long-van rates up.
Force the sale of $35-$55k long-vans.

FOLLOW THE MONEY, guys.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Murray ...you need to stop right now for a Random drug test ...Lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I find it hard to believe that a Dr would go to a 1 week class on such a petty change of rules.

And yet that's exactly what the doctors on the National Registry of certified FMCSA approved physicians have to do.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I am guessing here, how many years does a physician attend medical school ? Eight years and still apparently not able without additional certification/training, competent to recognize a problem that would interfere with an individuals ability to drive safely.

jimmy

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
It is the Governent, everybody else no matter how qualified are too ignorant to decide for themselves....this is the government way.

The government feels it knows best and the rest of us peeons are just to dumb to realize this is the way that it is going to be.

I wish that we could replace those Dunder Heads with realistic minded people.

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
I don't see what the problem is. Getting screening for medical conditions through these new regulations might actually save your life. There's no way you're going to be healthy if you have a high BMI. You're out there driving thousands of pounds of truck. If you're not in good health, you are putting the public at risk. I think there are a lot of drivers out there who need to start taking better care of themselves. Maybe this will be an incentive for more drivers to get in shape!

jmlaber

Seasoned Expediter
thing once you fail and come under the 1 year renewal....you'll need both the stress and sleep test every year to renew....your looking at over 3g's a year....

You don't need to redo the sleep test every year, all I have to do is show a print out from my CPAP machine showing compliance with usage requirements and good results from the use. Been that way for me for my last 3 physicals.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't see what the problem is. Getting screening for medical conditions through these new regulations might actually save your life. There's no way you're going to be healthy if you have a high BMI. You're out there driving thousands of pounds of truck. If you're not in good health, you are putting the public at risk. I think there are a lot of drivers out there who need to start taking better care of themselves. Maybe this will be an incentive for more drivers to get in shape!

Herein lies the problem. that is not a true statement. i have a daughter who is large who goes to the doctor regularly who is in perfect health but her BMI would disqualify her. Neck size would not. The other problem with your statement is that just because we are driving around thousands of pounds in trucks makes us no more dangerous than someone driving a car, suv, pickup, rv or motorcycle. Any one of these could have a medical issue at anytime and cause a crash and injury or a crash that causes a truck or trucks to avoid and in turn causes them to injure other people. This is the problem with that particular line of thinking. It is one sided toward the transportation industry. If we are going to worry so much about it in the realm of highway safety, then all vehicles that travel the highways, that are capable of having or creating an accident should have to comply.