New DOT physical qualifications start May 21st

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't see what the problem is. Getting screening for medical conditions through these new regulations might actually save your life. There's no way you're going to be healthy if you have a high BMI. You're out there driving thousands of pounds of truck. If you're not in good health, you are putting the public at risk. I think there are a lot of drivers out there who need to start taking better care of themselves. Maybe this will be an incentive for more drivers to get in shape!

As several others pointed out, one absolutely can be in good health with a BMI greater than the arbitrary cutoff. One can also be in apparent good health and drop dead without warning.
What I think will happen is just more churn: drivers will leave the industry, [voluntarily or not], and new bodies will replace them. And I doubt they'll be all that much healthier, or lower risk, either.
It appears to be a lucrative issue for medical providers, with exactly the opposite result for drivers forced to quit driving.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
As several others pointed out, one absolutely can be in good health with a BMI greater than the arbitrary cutoff.
Arbitrary cutoff, is right. It used to be that normal BP was 100 plus your age (top number, of course). Then they saying saying 140, and now they're talking 120. But a growing number of doctors are starting to point out that it's ludicrous to expect an older person with relatively inelastic veins to have the same blood pressure as a young person. But since there's money to be made medicating the populace, don't expect the status quo to change any time soon.

It appears to be a lucrative issue for medical providers, with exactly the opposite result for drivers forced to quit driving.
Precisely. I don't remember if it was in an EO forum, but I read of an OTR driver who had to renew his physical while away. The doctor started asking his codriver if he snored, how he slept, etc. The doctor had to be admonished that he couldn't quiz one patient about another due to privacy concerns.
The driver who was telling this was eventually told he needed a sleep study and follow up visits with the doctor examining him at the time. He said, "I live 1000 miles away from here. Pass or fail, I'll never be back here again." Once the doctor realized there was no money to be made, he passed the driver, sent him away with a 2-year card.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I don't know all the deadlines,but I do know May 21 you no longer can go to just any doctor for a DOT certification card,you must go to a doctor who has been certified.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know all the deadlines,but I do know May 21 you no longer can go to just any doctor for a DOT certification card,you must go to a doctor who has been certified.

And these Doctors have all learned these new guidelines...The Drs. well at least mine does not like the implications either.....it is stressed at these classes that they will be held liable and their decisions scrutinized should a driver they passed have an issue on the road...

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Uhm...... not sure what you mean please explain.
It means getting rid of the outa shape personnel. If u don't look good in uniform U don't need to be in the ranks. U get with the Program, or U are out. They do give you a chance at the FAT FARM.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It means getting rid of the outa shape personnel. If u don't look good in uniform U don't need to be in the ranks. U get with the Program, or U are out. They do give you a chance at the FAT FARM.

Yeah...keep that crap in the military or police force where it belongs.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, being in shape and looking good is a bunch of crap. Sure with I had time for some remedial PT to achieve looking like crap again.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, being in shape and looking good is a bunch of crap. Sure with I had time for some remedial PT to achieve looking like crap again.

No, requiring a civilian under nobody's authority to be in a particular shape or look a certain way is a bunch of crap.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
what the hell, so if your naturally a large man from a large family but u are an xbody builder who still works out and ur neck is huge u are basically screwd.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One big problem with the new certification program is the huge lack of certified doctors. I think I read it is half the number they originally claimed would be needed.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One big problem with the new certification program is the huge lack of certified doctors. I think I read it is half the number they originally claimed would be needed.

Yep as I said earlier....some Drs. are dropping put from doing it as they are going to be held more liable then ever....who needs that crap?...If I were a Dr. I wouldn't do the exams either...

runrunner

Veteran Expediter

Those that have been doing DOT,seem to be taking the training. I checked Pittsburgh,Pa. and found 25,then I checked Greenville,Pa. a smaller area 100mi. north of Pittsburgh,and found another 25.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, requiring a civilian under nobody's authority to be in a particular shape or look a certain way is a bunch of crap.

NFL-Cheerleaders-17_zpsbb0834db.jpg

Welll.........

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I double dog dare ya to tell my buddy Dan he can't drive.

The military had this problem. They went by BMI so muscular people were being put on the fat boy program. They had no waiver, either, at least when I was in, at least not officially.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Turtle Your not fare shame on you!!! Some body get me a load please. NINJA Turtle Posting Hot Pic again He not playing fare.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Those that have been doing DOT,seem to be taking the training. I checked Pittsburgh,Pa. and found 25,then I checked Greenville,Pa. a smaller area 100mi. north of Pittsburgh,and found another 25.

It will probably be a mixed bag. In our family clinic, we have decided to use one nurse practitioner and one full MD instead of the five that currently do them. The NP will perform the physical and the MD will only be used when a patient has a disqualifying issue. The medical exposure issue is lessened as well as the training and recertification costs. Likely see other clinics follow a similar path.