New DOT physical qualifications start May 21st

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any BMI higher then 35 and neck size of 17" or bigger you'll not get approved....It will trigger a sleep study and or stress test...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Dr just came back from 1 week in class learning the new rules....Just because of of high BP and past heart problems I'll need a Stress test EVERY year!.....

I can think of at least 3 O/O I know now that won't get by without extra testing...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I already had a stress test, PERFECTAMUNDO!! No blockages seen!

I also sleep quite well, like a man of my age. Don't want to sleep like a baby, most of them don't sleep worth a crap.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
This may impact the driver pool.
How many carriers make CVers get a medical card ?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This may impact the driver pool.
How many carriers make CVers get a medical card ?

It is going to have an impact, on the bottom line of companies that do sleep testing and make Cpap Machines. That is the intent.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well I can see my work load increase due to the lack of Drivers that will be out here. Because of the HOOORAA HOOP TA. That being said lack of work caused me to stay in shape and not eat at the Buffets. Now it appears Ill work more but ill keep doing what I been. Failure is not an Option!

Attachments

• hDF3FBC6ECCC.jpg
    hDF3FBC6ECCC.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 101
  • jumpyXSS.jpg
    jumpyXSS.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Jumpy.jpg
    Jumpy.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not in the regulations. It's only in the Guidelines for Physicians. If the particular examiner feels you need a stress test, or a sleep test, in order to sign off on you being physically able to perform the job, he can require it. The Medical Advisory Board that comes up with these guidelines is of course comprised of doctors who specialize or are financially vested in things like sleep apnea clinics and stress test facilities.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe if I get a new physical before that deadline that will give me 2 more years before i have to get out of it.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Any BMI higher then 35 and neck size of 17" or bigger you'll not get approved....It will trigger a sleep study and or stress test...

BTW Is that either or on the bmi and neck size or do you have to have both the higher than 17" neck and the higher than 35 bmi?

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's not in the regulations. It's only in the Guidelines for Physicians. If the particular examiner feels you need a stress test, or a sleep test, in order to sign off on you being physically able to perform the job, he can require it. The Medical Advisory Board that comes up with these guidelines is of course comprised of doctors who specialize or are financially vested in things like sleep apnea clinics and stress test facilities.
Like House and home inspectors I wonder How many Docs will get rich just passing those that shouldn't. It will happen Buffeters there still maybe hope for you after all

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I think what this means is that we're going to see a lot of people getting physicals in the next couple weeks.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter

Conflict of interest ? Unethical behavior ? The stress test that will lighten your pocket book , probably by a considerable sum , if you paying out of your own pocket. Arthritis / stiffness/ joint problems could result in additional tests as well.

jimmy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
[/COLOR]

Conflict of interest ? Unethical behavior ? The stress test that will lighten your pocket book , probably by a considerable sum , if you paying out of your own pocket. Arthritis / stiffness/ joint problems could result in additional tests as well.

jimmy

Yeah, that's the plan.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
The only way around the medical card is to run a noncommercial vechicle, one under 10000 gvwr.

OOIDA is addressing the new medical qualifications, but we still need to talk to the advocate there to give them more teeth with FMCSA and Congress.

In my opinion, especially Virginias DMV, give someone that doesnt have experience in an industry other than a stuipid training program and have them set policy, they'll F it up real good and are arrogent about their set procedures.

With Virginias DMV, I wonder if they would be more helpful if I wasnt White, we'll keep that can of worms shut though.

Last edited: