New DOT physical qualifications start May 21st

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A high BMI or a neck over 17" doesn't automatically mean poor health, either. It does to Government busybodies and health-nazis, but not necessarily in real life where you and I have to live.

It is sensible to get a physical to see if you're fit to drive. It is NOT sensible to say that because you're a big guy we single you out for "special treatment" based only on your size.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I find it hard to believe that a Dr would go to a 1 week class on such a petty change of rules.

The guideline book is 260 pages of instructions of when and how to grant or deny a certificate....

Some Drs. will probably go extreme and err on the side of caution as under the new guidelines they can be held liable.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I take it then that you haven't been ordered to undergo a $2500 stress test that even your cardiologist says is totally and completely unnecessary.

and could include a sleep study as well.....your talking some big money just to drive for a year...it'll put a huge dent in the profit margins of a CV driver...especially when we are NOT under the regulation....it is only because of a carriers policy OR the insurance companies.....

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Any BMI higher then 35 and neck size of 17" or bigger you'll not get approved....It will trigger a sleep study and or stress test...

Didn't we have a thread on this a few weeks ago (I know we did because I started it) in which Turtle explained that they started this but because it was done without proper science & rule-making procedure, Congress got involved and canned it? And didn't he mention how he thought them applying standards not in FMCSA guidelines would likely get them sued (someone did)? What happened to that? How is this different?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Didn't we have a thread on this a few weeks ago (I know we did because I started it) in which Turtle explained that they started this but because it was done without proper science & rule-making procedure, Congress got involved and canned it? And didn't he mention how he thought them applying standards not in FMCSA guidelines would likely get them sued (someone did)? What happened to that? How is this different?

What this appears to be is an end run...They actually just expanded the "guidelines" and tightened them up......the "guideline" explicitly explain a Drs. responsibilities and LIABILITIES if guidelines are not followed....I read a few paragraphs from the book he was given in class.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, follow the money. LOL!!

You would think ALL insurance companies would be the same?....How come smaller carriers DON'T have this policy\rule......I can get a policy from Progressive and NOT be required to get tested.

IF I was as out of shape as last year I would have to leave Load 1........my neck measures 16 1/4 yesterday...my BMI is at 34.8 just under....thank you diet....and BP is well within passing range....Last year I would have had to get Both and stress AND a sleep study almost a $4,000 hit....

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
What this appears to be is an end run...They actually just expanded the "guidelines" and tightened them up......the "guideline" explicitly explain a Drs. responsibilities and LIABILITIES if guidelines are not followed....I read a few paragraphs from the book he was given in class.....

It sounds to me that this opens them up to the same possible lawsuit, applying a standard not listed by FMCSA as a disqualifying factor.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It sounds to me that this opens them up to the same possible lawsuit, applying a standard not listed by FMCSA as a disqualifying factor.

But it is FMSCA.....the "new and improved" Guide lines.....they didn't make NEW rules just expanded the old ones and tossed a few extras in for good measure....I think they think it makes everything Ok....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
But it is FMSCA.....the "new and improved" Guide lines.....they didn't make NEW rules just expanded the old ones and tossed a few extras in for good measure....I think they think it makes everything Ok....

It does make it OK because there is no one that can stop them.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So I have to ask a question for you guys, do you know anyone who has sleep apnea real bad?

I know 2 people who had it and have had their lives completely changed by getting a CPAP machine.

The one I had to room with at the national sales meeting for the company I used to work for, I would not sleep because I thought I was going to have to call 911 because he would stop breathing, he would also usually have a big red mark on his forehead from falling asleep at his desk and hitting it on his keyboard.

The second person was another former co-worker who on the way to work one day got on the highway, only needed to go 5 miles on the highway to get to the exit for work, but when he got off on the exit for work, his car would not go anywhere. He had his car towed to my garage and when I pulled the transmission, the clutch was shreaded in the bellhousing, he was half sleeping and had his foot riding the clutch. He would fall asleep at work standing up, with a screwgun in his hand.

2 lives totally changed by them getting help and a CPAP machine.

The only person who can tell you if you are sleeping well is the person who sleeps next to you every night, or the techs who do a sleep study.

If we men were more open to asking for help instead of saying we can figure out things on our own, there would not be a need for new regulations.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
So I have to ask a question for you guys, do you know anyone who has sleep apnea real bad?

I know 2 people who had it and have had their lives completely changed by getting a CPAP machine.

The one I had to room with at the national sales meeting for the company I used to work for, I would not sleep because I thought I was going to have to call 911 because he would stop breathing, he would also usually have a big red mark on his forehead from falling asleep at his desk and hitting it on his keyboard.

The second person was another former co-worker who on the way to work one day got on the highway, only needed to go 5 miles on the highway to get to the exit for work, but when he got off on the exit for work, his car would not go anywhere. He had his car towed to my garage and when I pulled the transmission, the clutch was shreaded in the bellhousing, he was half sleeping and had his foot riding the clutch. He would fall asleep at work standing up, with a screwgun in his hand.

The only person who can tell you if you are sleeping well is the person who sleeps next to you every night, or the techs who do a sleep study.

If we men were more open to asking for help instead of saying we can figure out things on our own, there would not be a need for new regulations.

Another example: the doctor who have me my last DOT physical said he was working an ER & a guy came in for something or other, and the guy weighed about 400-500 lbs. When you're that big, you get admitted.
Well, they found out this guy had sleep apnea so they put him on a CPAP machine. His sleep had previously been dramatically disturbed. The doctor said when your sleep is so dramatically disturbed, your body goes haywire trying to compensate for lack of sleep. All your blood chemistry is off, your organs are going nuts, etc. Weight gain was this guy's side effect.
So he starts on the CPAP while in the hospital, and all of a sudden, he's getting the first decent sleep he's had in years, and his body started reacting immediately. He had been retaining massive amounts of fluid. Well now he starts peeing. And he doesn't stop. They had to change his urine bag constantly. He peed out 40lbs of retained fluid weight in short order, left the hospital feeling great and 40lbs lighter.

Here's the kicker: two days ago, I went into a vitamin store, and I'm talking with the clerk and we get to talking about sleep apnea. Turns out, THIS WAS THE GUY the doctor told that story about. I was thinking it was a tall tale, but I actually met the guy.

Now, on to CPAP for drivers, in general: while some individuals need it, this is clearly a scam by the medical-sleep industry, as is nearly everything now in the time of crony capitalism.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

My cpap has changed my life...its been 7yrs ...I can't even take a nap without it...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app