Health Insurance

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I did forget to mention that off of Phil's post. Our increase was not a result of a claim or any other changes. They did send birthday cards along with the increase. :rolleyes: Kind of a nice touch. Not.
I don't think either party will get serious with it unless they have to. Only when you see them making a change of buying across state lines will you see a change in rates or coverage. Probably not cheaper, but should slow the rate increases.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did forget to mention that off of Phil's post. Our increase was not a result of a claim or any other changes. They did send birthday cards along with the increase. :rolleyes: Kind of a nice touch. Not.
I don't think either party will get serious with it unless they have to. Only when you see them making a change of buying across state lines will you see a change in rates or coverage. Probably not cheaper, but should slow the rate increases.
A slowdown, less of an increas would be favorable...because we know our annual income isn't keeping up with all of the insurance and cost of living increases. Hold on tight!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think the biggest problem hasn't hit yet. Well maybe, just starting. We have a clinic in TN and what I am seeing is the ones that are paying that higher rate are realizing they really have no insurance because they can't cover the deductible. So, they basically drop out. Going to see more of that as people request service.
All Ocare turned out to be is a high tax and a redistribution of wealth.

Reactions: vandriver2

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I kept my doctor, plan and rate. No deductible or co pays. $8 a month per prescription. My ID card also gets me a 10% discount at Lowes, Home Depot and a few other places. Since I am a disabled vet the VA is my insurer.
My wife refuses to participate in Obama Care as she does not feel she should be forced to buy something. Since she is no longer working our AGA should be below the limit for a penalty.

Last edited:

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard a report that the subsidy money is running out. Don't get to comfortable with those subsidized premiums..

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the subsidies do run out, that might not be a bad thing. Hardly anybody can afford the premiums without them, and once they're gone many people will have to drop the "insurance". The penalty for not being insured will be a bargain compared to the unsubsidized insurance premiums, and when you couple that with sky-high deductibles which mean you weren't insured for a #$@^ thing until you're bankrupt anyway--- even Obama will have to admit that the emperor is running around buck naked.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Medical insurance policies increase every year have been forever, but for some reason people never paid attention to it before ACA

That's not true. People know what their health insurance costs are. If nothing else, they are reminded of it every time they pay a premium. Try raising the rates just a little bit on a company plan or in a union shop and you will hear the outcry citywide if not nationwide.

Diane and I know what our rates are and have been. The outcry is not because health insurance premiums go up each year (which is true). The outcry is because they are skyrocketing into the stratosphere while coverage declines. This is because something changed and that thing is called Obamacare.

This year, our insurance company charged us a huge amount higher than they did the year before and we cannot even find coverage that compares to the great plan we had before Obamacare and paid for out of pocket. Now they are telling us that our rate will increase 73% next year. We had only a couple of doctor visits last year for minor items. We are just one year older. Nothing additional is gained by paying 73% more, but that is what they will charge.

That did not happen because we were not paying attention to the annual cost increases. It happened because of Obamacare.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
... The penalty for not being insured will be a bargain compared to the unsubsidized insurance premiums, and when you couple that with sky-high deductibles which mean you weren't insured for a #$@^ thing until you're bankrupt anyway--- even Obama will have to admit that the emperor is running around buck naked.

I think the biggest problem hasn't hit yet. Well maybe, just starting. We have a clinic in TN and what I am seeing is the ones that are paying that higher rate are realizing they really have no insurance because they can't cover the deductible. So, they basically drop out. Going to see more of that as people request service....

The system, as it now exists, provides incentives to drop out. Sure, 7 million people now have insurance that did not before, but how many more millions will drop out when the realizations stated above sink in?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
... All Ocare turned out to be is a high tax and a redistribution of wealth.

... This law wasn't about helping the uninsured, it was about relocating mass amounts of taxpayer money into the pockets of the health insurance corporations. Just another example of our shift from capitalism to corporatism.

DaveKC is right about the redistribution of wealth. Coalminer is right about the insurance companies to whom the wealth is being redistributed. In addition to the insurance companies, the wealth is also going to the hospitals, drug companies and health care providers who are charging obscene rates because so much new money is now available to them.

Lobbyists for health care providers, insurance companies and drug companies were very busy behind the scenes, influencing the wording of the complex Obamacare law that was passed and that few elected officials read before voting on it. We're seeing the impact of their campaign contributions now. It's payday for them!

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Lobbyists for health care providers, insurance companies and drug companies were very busy behind the scenes, influencing the wording of the complex Obamacare law that was passed and that few elected officials read before voting on it. We're seeing the impact of their campaign contributions now. It's payday for them!

Corporatism 101, like Jesse Ventura says, follow the money!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Corporatism 101, like Jesse Ventura says, follow the money!!!

When Ventura was elected governor of Minnesota, he did not accept PAC money, which at the time was the primary mechanism by which lobbyists funneled money to elected officials. As his campaign committee treasurer, it gave me great joy to decline these contributions when lobbyists for special interest groups contacted me to make them.

In Minnesota, the newly elected governor takes office in January. He is known as the governor-elect until then and he receives office space in the capital building for himself and his transition team. While the word spread quickly among lobbyists that Ventura does not accept PAC money, not everyone got the message.

One of my fondest memories of these days was seeing a lobbyist approach the governor-elect's receptionist, with his open checkbook in hand and a big smile on his face. He made a big show of opening the check book and made it known that he was there to make a campaign contribution. In return, he fully expected the receptionist to schedule an appointment for him to meet with the governor-elect. This lobbyist was literally there to to buy access to Ventura and he fully expected the sale to be made.

When the receptionist explained nicely that Ventura does not accept PAC money, the lobbyist was shocked and confused. After a couple of attempts to work around the fact and make the contribution anyway, and after receiving the simple explanation and polite decline again, he put his checkbook back in his suit coat breast pocket and walked away with a look of total befuddlement on his face.

What most people don't realize is that these lobbyists work mostly behind the scenes. Yes, they get face time with the elected officials, but more importantly, they spend almost their every waking hour working to influence everything they can as a bill become law or a regulation takes shape. They are in continual touch with the clerks and staff people who draft the hundreds if not thousands of pages of arcane language that these bills and regs contain. The more confusing they can make it, the better, because that makes it easier for them to slip their pay-day provisions into the language.

They gain influence behind the scenes by making it known they have access to the primary leaders and by making the clerk's jobs easier by writing the language themselves and providing encouragement and free consulting to make the clerks feel good and look smart. They hang out in the Capitol lunch rooms and chum it up with staff over lunch. They volunteer in key offices to help staff with various tasks. If they can get away with it, they do favors to make the life of a staff person that much easier and more plesant.

In the rough and tumble political world, it feels wonderful when someone says something nice about you. Lobbyists know this and are master flatterers. They send flowers to the governer's receptionist. They tell average people how smare they are. They tell key bureaucrats how important and well respected they are. They haunt the Capitol to do this every day all day, and often well into the night if people are working (which is often the case).

Big money helps these lobbyists get what they want. Big flatterly does too. And it all works for their advantage, not ours. We're seeing one manifestation of it today in Obamacare.

Ironic, is it not that Obama's plan to provide affordable health care to those who did not then have it has worked to gorge the treasuries of the big corporations Obama campaigned against? These lobbyists are masters of the game and Obama too was outfoxed by them.

Last edited:

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
Local Agents

Currently the average American pays about 20% of their income for health insurance. ObamaCare's standard for affordable health insurance is 8%. The Average cost of insurance for a family of 5 making $120,000 would pay$20,000 for insurance in 2016.

IRS: Obamacare

obamacarefacts.com › irs-average-family...

Most families pay 20% of their gross income for the cost of private healthcare. What percentage of the populace has chosen Obamacare for a much cheaper rate, therefore taking much of the business away from those incorporated insurance companies that are indebted to their shareholders, therefore their rates must increase. With tax deductions, and the subsidy, it is about 8%, the cost that an average family will pay using Obamacare. 20% a lot of money. Thanks Obama

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Maybe on premiums? If one has to pay the deductible, you could easily exceed a 20 percent threshold. The other developing issue is folks on Medicare and Medicaid. Services are being cut or doctors/clinics are turning them away because many services force the doctor to either work cheaply or at a loss. We are seeing many servicing the needs of existing patients but are not taking any more on unless they pay up front.